“We loved it and we'll be back - service with a smile at all times.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tidewater Inn

You added Tidewater Inn to your Saves list
Tidewater Inn
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   101 East Dover Street, Easton, MD 21601   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Easton
Lakewood, Ohio
“We loved it and we'll be back - service with a smile at all times.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

The Tidewater is in a great location near antique stores, restaurants, coffee shops and boutiques. Every person on the staff that we came into contact with was very pleasant, plus above and beyond helpful - one morning we met with my whole family in the lobby and wanted to go somewhere outside the hotel for breakfast, asked where we could get something - someone suggested we go to Darrell's next door. Upon agreeing to it (all 13 of us) one of the employees ran next door before we could get there and had arranged for our large party to be seated there - and we had Darrell himself taking care of us. Every employee operated this way - we never hit a sour note the three days we were there.
Our room had two double beds and was quite intimate, but we took a room that had been blocked for our extended family so we had a special rate & I had been told in advance that it wouldn't be spacious - I was happy for the rate. The beds were comfortable, the sheets and duvets were white cotton, soft and clean. The AC worked great, plus the windows opened if we wanted a little fresh air.
The bathroom was also smallish, but the shower was excellent with great water-pressure, easy to regulate temperature. Everything was very clean.
The restaurant and bar were also top-notch: great menu, service, delicious food. Coffee in the rocking chairs on the veranda every morning was very nice as well. It's a beautiful, old historic-feeling hotel - we loved it!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments. It makes it all worth it when we take great care of our guests! We hope to see you again in the future. We offer many specials that revolve around the holiday events and festivals. Such as the Festival of Trees with horse drawn carriages!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed two nights at the inn. Our experience was great. We loved exploring the town. We enjoyed the Friday night art gallery open houses, the weekend farmer's market, local restaurants, and the restaurant in the inn, Hunter's Tavern. We enjoyed the Smith Island Cake so much I ate 3 pieces in two days!!!!! And then we went and bought a whole cake in Ocean City for our week at the beach. We have stayed at the Tidewater Inn three times and each time it gets better. Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We definitely welcome feedback and we are working on the challenges of the historic hotel and it's bathrooms. We are looking at putting in better shelving for the bathrooms. We hope to see you again soon and the fall here is beautiful.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Very nice hotel for a short stay. This hotel allows pets - so if you don't want a dog barking next to your room, ask to be located in a part of the hotel where there are no pets. We had this issue arise, but the front desk staff quickly located another room for us. Our room was directly over the ballroom area - there was a wedding and we heard noise, but it was quiet after 11 pm. This is an older hotel, very charming, but the bathrooms have limited room for toiletries, poor ventilation and the main room has no provision for applying cosmetics, drying hair etc. Everything, though, was clean; and you can work through the lack of space. The hotel restaurant was excellent; we had a great dinner; the steak and crab were delicious! We also had the bed/breakfast package, and breakfast was also very good. The entire hotel staff were wonderful also. There is only one elevator, but we never had to wait for it, and we stayed on a busy weekend. If you drive, be prepared to pay for parking.
This is a nice property - you can walk to other restaurants and shops; St. Michaels & Oxford within short driving distance. If you don't want to stay at a B & B, this is a nice option.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

While the staff at Tidewater was great...my kudos to Benito and Melissa in Hunter's Tavern and Thomas at the front desk, I do have to say that the AC kept us up all night! The fan was SO loud that I had to cover my ears with pillows throughout the night. Additionally, the Tidewater charges $10 per night for parking, regardless of whether or not you park your car in the lot yourself or if you use valet. When trying to park in their lot, we found it full and had to use the valet. We found our car the next morning in the public lot not 5 feet from the hotel. Had I known that they were parking my car next door...I could have done that. I called the general manager and left her a voice mail. I've not heard back. I am very disappointed with my weekend experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Good morning and thank you so much for your feedback. I apologize for the A/C being noisy as we just put in our new system and we are still tweaking it as we go along. I know that we have great rooms and we have addressed that particular problem. We would love to ask you back for another stay for a restful evening with a discount. Please feel free to contact me when you decide to return!
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I had an event catered at the Tidewater. Although a buffet with extras was contracted for I was very disappointed with the quantity of food served and the rapid removal of everything after I was served. The cocktail " room" was an embarassment; a passageway between the main lobby and the exit to the outside. I originally had decided not to stay at the Tidewater as I could not make arrangements for a pet. I was told no problem, and then charged $50/night for the stay. There is an additional $10 fee/night for parking on their own property. Not being able to leave the premises over the weekend for personal reasons, I utilized their restaurant and bar which I found similarly over hyped and overpriced. Small plates and glasses are the norm here. I nearly missed my own event as my room wasn't ready until after 4pm. I had the most restless night I have ever had as the A./C was locked on low position and blew nothing but warm air. Poor management, higher than expected rates, and not getting what you pay for will undoubtedly catch up with the Tidewater some day.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
We greatly appreciate your feedback! We have been addressing the issues with the A/C which is now completely new and guests can control the temperatures in there room. We have been bought about a year and half ago and we are constantly working on upgrades. I do apologize for the pets but it does take extra to keep the pet friendly rooms up to par. We will definitely take the advice on the check in and check out times. But I do know the Bride was extremely happy with her event as she had her heart set on these particular rooms even though the wedding grew larger than expected.
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The Tidewater is in the "historic district" of Easton, several blocks away from the RT 50 highway that cuts through the town on the way to Ocean City. For some reason, it doesn't seem to come up as a high choice (or at all) in many on-line searches - I sort of stumbled across it. From the outside, it's a stately brick 4 story building that sits kitty-corner at an intersection. The large lobby stays in the "solid" style and is quite pleasant. They offer several types of rooms - we selected the "Deluxe King" as it was the same price as all the other types. The rooms were nice if a little small - the king bed took up most of the room - but the beds are excellent with pillow top mattresses and high-end sheets. The bathroom was very small - there's really no where to put ones things while making one's morning ablutions. The view from out room was of the intersection - which was not as noisy or ad off-putting as it might sound. Be aware you have to pay an additional $10/day for parking in the lot behind the hotel, a fact that isn't advertised anywhere other than in small print on the room agreement (and your bill of course). There is a restaurant on the first floor of the hotel. We did not try it (although I wish we had - see my review of Talbot 209) but it was quite packed on a Wednesday night indicating it may be fairly. Bottom line - even with the surprise parking fee the room was slightly more expensive that a Holiday Express/Hampton Inn chain, and certainly had more character. Since I have a basic problem with "surprise" charges, I'm not sure I'd stay there again, but I have to say it is not a bad alternative.

Room Tip: Be sure to search thier reservations page carfully. At first blush, it may appear the lowest room is...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thank you so much for the feedback. I know we are having our challenges with the small bathrooms and are in the midst of trying to increase the quality of the bathrooms with better amenities, fluffier towels, and of course more shelf space. You also had a great point with our parking which is city parking and we will definitely put up a sign at our front desk explain the parking. Your feedback gives us the guests perspective and assist us in making improvements.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I don't know what kind of bad karma I'm dragging around, but for some reason I get the bad room mojo when I go somewhere with my wife. The inn has a beautiful interior - lobby and adjoining rooms are stacked with lovely old furniture and woodwork. The courtyard patio is relaxing. My room? It left much to be desired. First off, I got the handicap room. The bed was uncomfortable, the bathroom was utilitarian, etc. We asked to change as soon as we saw the room, but they were full due to several weddings. Definitely the first and only time we'll be visiting.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-handicap room!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
TheTidewater, General Manager at Tidewater Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I like to ask you back for a complimentary overnight stay with us. I am confident that we can offer you other types of rooms in our boutique hotel that would met and exceed your expectations. Please ask for me personal when you call in and I will personally take care of you.

Been to Tidewater Inn? Share your experiences!