“Gem in Golden” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Golden, Colorado
“Gem in Golden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We are long time residents of Golden, Colorado, and I highly recommend this place. We have been noting the lack of good restaurants in the in Golden/Genesee area for years, and we were very happy to see this place open last year. The chef, Dante and his team are awesome and they offer a diverse menu. While the menu has a lot of choices, we eat primarily a plant based diet. We ask or call ahead, and each time they have made use outstanding meals. Impressive. If you are in the area, this place is definitely one of the best and worth a try. Laid back and easy environment for a good meal out, and good staff.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Denver, Colorado
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have dined at The HIdeway weekly for the last few months, and based on my last experience I will never go back. I went there (as I often do) with my 3 kids.. I fly alone and dine alone with them all the time, They know how to behave when eating out. The waitress was mad beyond belief that we were at her table. She made it clear that we were not welcome at The Hideaway. Then my baby went and knocked a glass over and she send from being rude to livid. I even told the manager that the waitress was livid at us and he was okay with that. He did not appologize. The booth behind us told me my kids behaved fine and the rude behavior was not warrented. I do not want anyone to feel like I did and will tell anyone with kids-- beg anyone with kids to NEVER EVER dine here.

• Visited June 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“Worth the drive up I70”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I just discovered this place two weeks ago and have already been there twice. Rare is the restaurant that is is as comfortable for locals as those just driving up the mountains. Your first glance may not reveal the subtle sophistication of the Hideaway, but after a read of the menu and your first taste from a chef who delivers well prepared great food (without the usual self-aggrandizing fanfare) you will experience how good it is. Don't even know who the chef is. Examples of the attention to detail: Scottish salmon on the salad as opposed to the usual dry overlooked, dyed Atlantic salmon dreck. Multi-colored heirloom cherry tomatoes. Hand-made burger patties with hand-cut fries. Large and succulent mussels. I was told the Osso Bucco was divine, and the paella held its own to the discerning palate of he who grew up eating the paella of his Spanish grandmothers. A confirmed brussel sprout hater of a certain well-experienced age had two (count them!) servings of the roasted brussel sprout and grape appetizer. But let's not forget the bar. On my first visitI I ordered a Manhattan and discovered the bartender has been in at least a few competitions and I was served a delightful and unique spin in this beloved adult libation that was a second place winner. It was so good I can't imagine what alchemy received first. And yesterday we at the table considered just ordering a pitcher (or bathtub??) full of the strawberry basil martini. The crowning touch is not the full pig roast this weekend, (but it sounded intriguing) but the fact that a gluten free menu with be available shortly. So if you are driving up or down from the mountains or just want a quick drive up to the foothills, look for exit 254 by the state buffalo herd. hideaway is just off the highway but up a little rise, so can't see or be seen from the interstate. A fire pit out back would take really nice outdoor seating to the sublime.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta, Georgia
“Lucky to have found this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I were on I70 heading to Breckenridge after taking an early saturday morning flight from the east coast into DEN and were still functioning on EDT and were pretty hungry but wanted a unique, local place and weren't going to a chain or fast food place. Hideaway came up on a local search on the iPad, it looked pretty good so we tried it. We asked to eat inside because it was a little cool and windy but otherwise great day so probably should have asked for outdoor seating, still indoor atmosphere was nice, kind of casual/comfortable but had some kind of hint of upscale/elegance.

The brunch menu had the local/non-chain variety we wanted. We got the L,E,O smoked salmon, sauteed onion egg scramble and the Waffle Stack waffle w/maple syrup with ham, meunster cheese and fried egg. Both dishes were delicious, great portion sizes (not overflowing the plate), the fruit in the fruit cup was all fresh, firm and juicy. We got mimosas since it was brunch and they fresh-squeeze their OJ and they were great along side the food. Lots of other variety on the brunch menu though from crepes, potato pancakes, egg dishes with some extra uniqueness like lobster omelette, or huevos rancheros.

Once we left metro Denver it was kind of dicey whether we'd find the kind of restaurant we were looking for, and we both think we got really lucky with finding this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colorado
“Great for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Have been several times, and am glad to have somewhere in this area that is better than average. Happy hour prices for drinks are great; the food tho is rather small portioned. Most is pretty tasty, nothing I'd say I have to go back for. Atmosphere nice, they did a good job, but main issue is LOUDNESS. Not as in "energetic," but as in you are seated right next to someone and have to shout in their ear to be heard, and still repeat things at that. If they did something about the acoustics it would be a pleasant place to meet and take folk. Most of the time the service has been great (only one unhelpful waitress once). Very fun bar scene.

• Visited April 2013