“Overnight snowbound” 2 of 5 stars

Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Columbia
“Overnight snowbound”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Booked the hotel during a snowstorm that day without issue. Room was clean, spacious kitchen and bathroom. Nonsmoking room; however smoking rooms are right next door and I could smell the smoke, which was very unpleasant. Since it was snowing, the plows were out late at night and early morning (5:00 am). With the noise of the plow and the noise of the fridge, so I didn't get much sleep, but good to have the sidewalks and paring lit plowed. The front desk staff was friendly and the bed was comfortable. The morning after 8:00 am was quiet. Glad to have shelter from the storm. Breakfast is instant oatmeal, muffins, coffee, apples, oranges, tea and breakfast bars.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Yuma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My experience at this Extended Stay America was good; excellent value for the price I paid. However, the representatives at the 800 number do not know which rooms have which features, so, if you want a room with a dishwasher and/or pull-out sofa, you must ask for a queen deluxe at minimum. When I made the reservation, I was told my room had a dishwasher and when I got there, I learned it did not. The rep on the phone also told me that this hotel had a 24-hour front desk clerk; but it does not. Keep this in mind if you plan on arriving after 11pm. It is still possible to get a room if you do, but the process is easier before 11pm. Since I work nights, and am up most nights I have off and therefore that is when I am doing laundry and going in and out to go to the store or whatnot, I would highly prefer to have a front desk clerk and access to quarters for the laundry 24-7. But again, excellent value for what I paid; and for the price, I probably have no right to complain about anything. The most important thing is the place is clean, the staff is friendly, and everything worked properly.

Room Tip: Queen deluxe rooms have a dishwasher. The lower-numbered rooms (on any floor) have better temperatur...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Checked in was told the don't give extra pillows only had one blanket was told to go to the front desk to get another blanket he couldn't bring one to my room no ice bucket vending machines way way over priced and limited tv channels won't stay again

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The issues you described are unacceptable and our team should is committed to satisfying our guest and making your stay a home away from home. Unfortunately, amenities do vary from site to site and at this present time we do not have an ice machine on property and I sincerely apologize . As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have taken action to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at cgd@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Haymarket, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stayed here on business. The sign said it was now a non smoking hotel, but apparently the 3rd Floor use to be for smokers. However the entire 3rd floor still smells of cigarettes and it is completely overwhelming. The staff was very nice about changing my room to a different floor. The rooms are very big, however the ad states that all the rooms are recently renovated I am not sure if recent means within the last few years. Walls must be very thin because you can hear all the other people staying all around you. Hard to rest with all the noise going on all around your room. i was schedule to stay 5 days checked out after just 2 days. Sorry to say this but I don't think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 3rd floor! Smells like an big ashtray.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Nice customer service and good location. It's good for long term staying if you were doing business in this area. They provide free breakfast and gym. The standard guest room is pretty big. Surrounding was quiet and convenient to Wegmans and some shopping centers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am relocating to the Columbia area and reserved a room in this hotel for a week (with the intention of extending my stay) due to its glowing reviews. I was disappointed however in the conditions of the rooms (both on the second floor) I stayed in and ended up leaving early. Now, I was not expecting 5 star accommodations but I did expect a clean room upon arrival - especially since I was told my fee for having a pet was so that they could have a "special team" come in to to clean the room after my stay. My first room had some damages and there was a good amount of surface dirt and dust. When I reported my concerns, the staff arranged to have my room cleaned and they performed the maintenance needed to repair the damages. The second night of my stay I found a bug on the floor by my bed and other signs of bugs. I brought these concerns to the staff again and my room was changed to a larger suite on the second floor. Unfortunately, this room had concerns as well. There was a significant mold/must smell that over came you the moment you arrived in the room - that never went away. I also found white powder in the corner of my desk stand with two dead bugs laying in it. ( I have a dog, what if she had eaten some of the mystery powder?) I again brought these concerns to the staff and they immediately had the maintenance worker come up to inspect the room with me. I was told that the air conditioner unit (which I suspected was where the smell was originating from) was being replaced in the coming week. Upon return from the inspection, the staff apologized for my experience and I was comped my stay and pet fee (3 nights total). I have pictures of the conditions that I have decided not to post out of respect for the hotel staff. Due to their responsiveness, I have no doubt that they have addressed anything they needed to in order to prevent another guest having a similar experience. But I do think it is only fair that I report my experience so future guests can continue to make an informed decision about which hotel to stay in when using this site.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was perfect for what we wanted. It had a kitchen area(with oven!), big closet, flat screen TV, and a table two people can eat dinner at. The hotel sits away from the road so you're not constantly disturbed by traffic like some of the other hotels in the area(and it's not directly next to a liquor store like the extended stay in jessup). Most of the hotel staff is amazing. I can only think of one exception. Curtis was especially helpful. The maintenence man was even very nice and housekeeping did a great job.

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that Curtis took great care of you during your stay. We are happy to hear that our kitchen and flat screen television added to the convenience and enjoyment of your stay. We will pass your compliments along to the staff.

Been to Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive? Share your experiences!