“Good place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Columbia, Maryland
“Good place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was perfect for what we wanted. It had a kitchen area(with oven!), big closet, flat screen TV, and a table two people can eat dinner at. The hotel sits away from the road so you're not constantly disturbed by traffic like some of the other hotels in the area(and it's not directly next to a liquor store like the extended stay in jessup). Most of the hotel staff is amazing. I can only think of one exception. Curtis was especially helpful. The maintenence man was even very nice and housekeeping did a great job.

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that Curtis took great care of you during your stay. We are happy to hear that our kitchen and flat screen television added to the convenience and enjoyment of your stay. We will pass your compliments along to the staff.

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Columbia, MD on business for 7 nights. While looking for an “extended stay” type of hotel, we chose this one due to its glowing reviews. We did receive a very warm welcome upon arrival and explanation of services. There is a full kitchen, which is a huge plus as my husband and I cook most of our meals at home. The dishes and service provided were very basic, but we made due. There were a few other things such as no pillow cases on the pillows and the kitchen was very dirty. I wiped down the cabinets that we were going to use and the surfaces of everything else. The rest of the room was pretty clean. Also, no one was available for checkout before our very early flight. We rang the bell several times and finally went back to the room to call the number that was posted at the desk. The employee that answered had been asleep. Not having a front desk that is staffed 24x7 is a bit odd.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel in Columbia, Maryland. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your accommodations and happy that we could meet your needs. However, I have also taken in to concern of your comments of the kitchen area and the front desk at checkout.

We kindly thank you for your business and hope to see you back again soon.
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff (Mrs. Ellen, Ms. Alethea, Mr. Curtis and Ms. C(?)) is very helpful, friendly, warm and inviting. They made my transition from North Carolina smoother than I would have ever dreamed. This is one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. I have stayed at hotels in Japan (Hiroshima and Iwakuni), Okinawa (Naha & Okuma), Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea (Seoul, Po Hung, Tegu) Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya), Europe (Paris, France & Frankfurt, Germany), and Africa (Djibouti, Ethiopia, Ughanda, Kenya, and Tanzania). I would highly recommend staying at this establishment for the location, location, location; you are minutes from virtually anything you can think of from Washington, DC to Baltimore to the 24-hour CVS right down the street, but most of all the staff is what makes it an experience - taking the time to talk about the area, places to go, eat and possibly live. Now, this hotel is not the Waldorf Astoria‎, but you can kick-off you shoes, relax and enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Basically, any corner room would be ideal and any room on the third floor if you don't have chil...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review of our property. I am so pleased to read that our staff provided you with such great service, especially Ellen. As well, I am glad that you liked our location, which is close to other establishments in the area.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Things I liked about my stay at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive:
- the garden outside was very well kept and welcoming;
- the reception staff were all freindly and helpful;
- the room was generously sized, clean and well-furinished;
- free WiFi in the room worked well, if a little slow;
- it is in a quiet location and I didn't have any problems with noise on any of the 3 nights of my stay.

Things I didn't like:
- on entering the room, my nose was assailed with the overpowering smell of fried curry spices. I know that the hotel management can't control what guests cook in their room but I would have expected the service staff to have taken steps to remove the odors;
- during my 3 night stay, my room wasn't serviced once (the bed wasn't made up fresh, there was no cleaning of the bathroom and no vacuuming);
- a bit more variety in the grab-and-go breakfast would be welcome (muffins, cereal bars and fruit eveyr morning gets rather boring).

Overall though, my stay was good value for money and I'd consider staying there again if in Baltimore on business.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have good views of the garden area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

very friendly welcome at check in, a clean room that was rather basic, good neighborhood, felt safe, lots of wind noise from trees close to the building, easy parking and easy to find

my expectations were met, but not surpassed

Room Tip: I had a corner suite on the 3rd floor which was large and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is straightforward and simple hotel. Its not a Hilton and it isn't supposed to be. It is in good shape, it is a great location, and Curtis, the only staff I really interacted with is beyond nice and a great face for the hotel. He could not have been more friendly or nicer.

My only complaint was that although they offer late checkout they latest they would go was noon, only an hour extra. I was hoping for 1.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Westwood, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

People very nice. Clean, simple, straightforward. No frills. Good value. Shoutout to Alethea who is a big supporter of TripAdvisor. Very quiet commerical area with food and shopping nearby. They care about customer service here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PropertyManager28, Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review of our property. I was especially please to hear the great comments about Alethea. We look forward to being your choice hotel in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Columbia - Gateway Drive? Share your experiences!