“Convenient , Clean and Hospitable” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
“Convenient , Clean and Hospitable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hotel is a tale of two radically different accommodation. The tower is new, fresh and modern. The lodge is still clean, but older and more basic. I stayed in both areas on trips, and of course I prefer the tower, but when it is high occupancy the lodge is a decent alternative. The food is the restaurant was very good, service at the front desk as impeccable and housekeeping was great

Room Tip: The Tower if available!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you...we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, our property has two different experiences and we learn what each guest likes, some the higher floors of the tower and others the quiet feel of the Lodge. We will make sure to make a notation in your history that you prefer the tower. I will also pass along your positive comments about the food equability to the Chef - I agree he does a great job.
Please let me know if there is anything we can assist you with in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This particular stay has convinced me to break any ties with the SPG brand. At check in, the clerk had some sort of attitude and bizarrely refused to input my SPG number or my husbands, because we didn't have the actual card, just the number. There were no luggage trolleys, and the clerk ignored me when I asked if there was a bell hop or valet available.

As we had already had a long trip to the hotel, we used the room service order for breakfast and hung it on the door. At 2:00 am, I was awakened by loud music and light spilling under the door of the connecting room which was immediately next to the head of the bed. In the morning, I pressed the button on the phone to call the front desk, but it instead connected to a central reservation center, who told me to call the hotel directly. When I reached the desk, I requested to move to a non-connecting room. The clerk asked when I would like to move and I told her that breakfast was ordered to arrive just before 7, so anytime after that. At 7:30 am, starving and jet-lagged, I opened the door to see if the tray had been left at the door only to find that the order had never been picked up. My husband went down to get the new room assignment and make sure we got breakfast, and the clerks at the front desk began to have a conversation with each other, apparently astonished that there was such a thing as a breakfast order that should be picked up the evening before. We moved quickly to the new room, as my husband had an overseas meeting to call into, only to find that we had been given a room that was not only shabbier -- but was another connecting room! I went down to ask again for a non connecting room, and the clerk demanded that I return to my room to get ID, at which point I spoke to the manager to let her know that this stay so far had been unacceptable and that because of the ineptitude of the staff I had not been able to eat or sleep. She was very professional and understanding, and did even send up a note with some wine and fruit that evening apoligising again. After retrieving my ID, and narrowly avoiding tripping on the pulled up carpet in front of the 5th floor elevator, we were given the third room on the fifth floor. It was not a connecting room, but had a queen bed, stained furniture, ripped wall paper, and a leaking toilet. We made the mistake of ordering room service for dinner, being too exhausted from the previous night without sleep. Crabcakes were a regional specialty and were fine. The Cesar salad was a watery mayonnaise disaster made with just stalk end ribs of lettuce that were inedible, Bourbon salmon was ok, but the potatoes tasted like sweetened paste, as if they had been made with sugar in place of any salt and then whipped into a gluey glob. To his credit, I did get an email from the chef, as the tray was returned with most of the food untouched and a note about the salad.

Overall, the staff was uneven, the room service unacceptable, and the condition of the hotel itself shabby.

Room Tip: If you have no choice but to stay here, make sure that you do not have a connecting room or a room o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
I am in receipt of your review of your stay with us and am so very sorry for all the issues you experienced. If time permits could you please reach out to me at joe.giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com so we can speak about these issues and come to a resolve.
I am glad that our Chef reached out to you and him and I spoke about it at length.
I hope that we are able to touch base soon!
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Herbert, from your AV team was fantastic.
His patience and calm approach was very helpful and I know challenging with a bunch of Microsoft techies in the room. He made my presentation easier to deliver. Thank you Herbert!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you very much for writing a great review on the property and your experience with Herbert, we will certainly pass along your comments. We pride ourselves on handling needs big and small and could not be happier that we were able to hold our own with the techies....look forward to your return in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I recently visted the area and stayed at the Sheraton Columbia. Check in was fast and easy. My room was clean and well maintained and each staff member that I passed in the hall greeted me with a smile and a hello. I ordered room service twice, both times I was happy with the quality and taste of the food and the delivery was fast and professional. I had trouble getting on the internet and the front desk staff stayed on the phone with me until I was online. Because my stay was extended because of the snow, I ran out of some personal items which housekeeping quickly supplied me with. When I checked out, I was surprised to see that the outside walkway had been shoveled and salted so I could safely make it to my car. A member of the engineering staff even helped me clean the snow off of my car--True 5 star service!!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water....it is lovely
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your great review, 5-Stars, of the property and our team. We were all happy to be hear and servce our guests through the snow storm and enjoyed getting to meet everybody. I will pass along your comments to our Chief Engineer about the assistance you received - that is wonderful to hear. Again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

The staff at Sheraton-Columbia are always professional and friendly. The service I received on my last stay was excellent. The rooms are always clean. I highly recommend staying at the Sheraton in Columbia. The location is convenient and the price is within my budget.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the 5-Star review. We are glad that we have met and exceeded your expectations and look forward to your return visit. I will be sure to meet with the housekeeping team and tell them about this review and your comments on the property cleanliness.
Hyattsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on New Years day and had a lovely experience. The staff was warm and friendly, especially the bartender Chris :) The room was very nice, however I felt it could have been just a little bit clearly, but I'm a bit of a germaphobe. We had lunch in the restaurant the next day which was had a beautiful view of the lake and the food was delicious. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from a great mall, various restaurants and entertainment which added to our weekend getaway. I would definitely return to this property in the near future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your New Years eve with us. I agree the porperty is in a wonderful location and we are fortunate to have some excellent associates - I will be sure to thank Chris for delivering great service. We all look forward to your return and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any future service - my email is joe.giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

From the time that I arrived to the hotel from the time that I left, everything was perfect. The front desk was very friendly and accommdated all of my requests. I was attending a meeting and the banquet staff was top notch as well as the food. Lots of healthy options on the buffet which was also a plus. The Waterside Grill was great...a wonderful view of the lake. I stayed in a lodge room and absolutely loved the room...the room was very spacious, it had a microwave, coffee pot and fridge....how perfect, would be great for a long term stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a lodge room...they overlook the lake and the pool...very spacious!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and comments about the property. I will certainly pass along to the associates. I agree that we have wonderful views and a top notch banquet team - I am very happy you enjoyed your stay.
Please let us know if there is anything further we can do and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!