“All-round impressive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Cary, NC
“All-round impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was easily my best Sheraton-group hotel stay this year, and I was very impressed with the quality of this hotel - especially at the price. Clean, high-end quality, well-appointed rooms and public spaces; excellent gym; professional staff; flexible and responsive to requests - just consistently good in most every area and clearly a well-managed hotel. It was close to (or on par with) many of the Westins I've stayed at - and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where it's headed. About the only negatives I can think of were that the bathrooms were a bit cramped.

And speaking of negatives, I'm tempted to call out some of the earlier reviewers for their complaints about the lodge rooms. Because of these, I paid more for a tower room - and although I was more than happy with the outcome, I did walk through the lodge areas several times on my way to the gym, and got a look at some of the lodge rooms - and really didn't see anything there to complain about, other than the lack of an elevator. The hallways weren't musty at all (as some reviewers had complained), and the rooms were just as well-appointed as the tower rooms. Someone had written something to the effect of "if you see lodge on your reservation, run"... really?? And where would you run to - perhaps a Four Seasons hotel around the corner that's also available at under a $100 a night? Please temper the hyperbole when writing these reviews - you aren't doing your fellow-travelers any favors with needless exaggeration.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed review of the property. First and foremost I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the property and our associates up to your expectations.
I would also like to thank you for your input on the Lodge - this part of the hotel is charming, quite and in some areas offering more amenities....the rooms are identical and in some cases larger. I truly appreciate your input.
Please dont hesitate to contact me if there is anything we can assist with on a future stay.

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Pros: 3rd floor room in lodge section was clean, spacious, quiet, well-lit, and comfortable. Wonderful bed. Refrigerator, microwave, in-room coffee service was greatly appreciated. Restaurant had good food (best sweet potato fries and calamari ever). Free wifi in rooms worked well. Walking distance to mall, restaurants, beautiful lake. Ample parking.

Cons: Hallways in lodge section seemed dirty and musty - time for renovation. No elevator to rooms in lodge areas - big negative. I enrolled in the green housekeeping program and no one even entered my room in my 4 night stay: the garbage was never emptied, and I had to find the housekeeping staff to get more cups, coffee, bags for ice bucket. Odd, to say the least. Service seemed inconsistent: some staff were super, others seemed unconcerned and incapable. Some in our business party said their rooms were poorly maintained or had service problems that went unresolved. No coffee stand in lobby for quick breakfast option.

Overall: Mixed feelings. Okay for short stay. Hotel would benefit from renovation in lodge hallway areas. Some staff need an attitude adjustment and/or more training.

Room Tip: 3rd floor lodge rooms on parking lot side have high ceilings that make the rooms feel spacious. No e...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I truly appreciate the time and detail you put into your review of the property - thank you. I will review some of the concerns you had with the Team and esnure that they get addressed. I would like to comment on two items that you mentioned:
1.) The Make a Green Choice is a great program that is working towards Starwood ultimate green initiave goal - it is true that once selected there is NO service to the room unless requested. I apologize for the inconveneince and assure you it was not an oversite but the way the program runs.
2.) We offer complimentary coffee 7-days a week in the morning. Monday through Friday it is in the Lobby and the Lodge A entrance and the weekends it is in front of the restaurant. I am sorry if you missed these daily set ups
I will also work closely with the associates as you mentioned that you had inconsistent service.
Again, thank you for the detail and we hope you will feel comfortable staying with us again in the future.
Fort Wayne, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Great view from the Club Lounge. Very comfortable rooms and beds. Room was very clean. Close to many eating and shopping establishments.Very convenient / short walk to the Columbia Mall. The atrium view was very nice. Parking is free and convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for the great review - we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the property. I agree we have great views from our Club Level - they are even better in July 4th during the fireworks. I will be certain to share your comments with the Team.
We look forward to being able to host you again!
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

In the year of 2013, not all of their standard rooms have mini-fridge, microwave, and wi-fi. Upon requesting a microwave to use in room, they charge you $25 in order to bring one to you. I asked why there is such fee, she said "it's because someone will have to unplug it from one room to bring it to yours." And there was none available in any other area on the floor, or even in the whole hotel either. The customer service was poor. I did not feel any hospitality. I did not feel welcomed. I did not feel the staff was apologetic or even sympathetic about the situation. I simply told them that I will not return again. Oh, and there were stinkbugs in the room.

If you don't care about the amenities I mentioned, this place is at a convenient location. But I would advise not to pay for such big name hotel for this service.

Room Tip: Ask about the differences in the new tower vs old. The old ones don't equip with the fridge and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the property - I am very sorry about the challenges with the microwave and fridge; I will certainly review this with our team on property. I realize that you did not feel our customer service was up to speed and I/we take this very serious - this is something that will be adressed. The stink bug situation is one that we are all battling - recent reports list 39 States with serious issues with many on the East coast. We continue to combat them as best we can.
I hope that you will give us another opportunity to improve on these items on a future visit to Columbia.
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great location: the Kittamaqundi Lake is just behind the hotel, with scenic trails and some nice restaurants within walking distance. The Columbia Mall is right across the parkway. The rooms are good and well kept with the comfort you expect from a Sheraton. There is one problem, though: the hotel seems to be a popular place for weddings and reunions, so you may experience large lines during check-in or check-out, and worse: sleeping at night may be a challenge. The common areas used for the parties have no sound insulation from the reception area - and the apartments in the main tower are accessed by open aisles that seem to reverberate the sounds of loud conversation and the party noise from the ground floor. The hotel has other rooms in a nice annex that extends to the North where noise is not a problem - but the acess from the reception requires traversing a maze of corridors and stairs, so you may prefer to exit the building instead of walking indoors. Service ranges from great to indifferent - it really depends on whom you talk to. A nice thing about the hotel: it provides shuttle service to locations in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower are easily accessible but may be quite noisy (see review). Rooms in other sectors...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I truly appreciate the amount and the detail you supplied on your recent stay with us... we always strive to do better and will use your reccommendations to improve. I realize the sound can travel throughout the atrium and we make every attempt to maintain noise levels low especially as the night moves on.
We hope that you will still stay with us on future visits - please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any service....my email is joe.giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com
Newport News, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

To whom it may concern,
My recent stay at the Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel was horrible. I had booked two rooms, each with two double beds, l through Expedia about a week before my check in date. I had called the hotel directly and asked for conjoining rooms, or at least to have them on the same floor next to each other. The person I spoke to said that would be no problem at all and she would make a note of it. When me, my wife and two brothers went to check in (all of which are in the military serving our country), we were rudely informed that I could not check in because I was "only" 20 years old even though my two brothers are over the age of 21 and were staying in those two rooms. The lady we were speaking to said that we should just call Expedia and change the reservation to one of their names because the other way to do it required her to do more work. After going to take care of changing the name on the reservation, we came back to the front desk and proceeded to check in. However, when she basically threw the two room keys at us, I asked if they were next to each other and all she said was "No it's too late for that we can't help you". A little taken back, I just walked away. To my surprise, not only were the rooms not next to each other, they were not even on the same floor. One was on the third floor and the other on the fifth. Already irritated, we went into the rooms and found that they were only one queen bed in each room when we specifically reserved two double beds. We walked straight back out to the front desk and told them what was wrong and they lady who we were spoke to acted as if she did not want to help us. She said that Expedia should not have even offered us the two double bed rooms and that it is solely Expedia's fault. I, however, made her fix it and asked to speak to a manager. She rudely said that that would be her. Her name was Sharlyene Joseph. I continued to explain how frustrating everything was and again, she took absolutely no blame for anything and just blamed it on Expedia. Getting nowhere, I walked away. We were all standing there with our bags for about thirty minutes and when we went up to her to ask what was going on she threatened to cancel our reservation all together. I highly doubt she was actually the manager, and if she is, she needs to be fired or demoted. She was extremely rude to all of us. When she finally gave the new keys to us, she stopped us from getting into the elevator and told us to go up the stairs for some reason. I found it very unprofessional and rude of her. Our rooms still were not on the same floors. It was my wedding night and had chose to stay at the Sheraton because I thought it would be a pleasant experience. For the one night we were able to take away from work, it was extremely unpleasant. Unfortunately, it turned the happiest day of my life into one of the worst nights. For the service I received I would not have even paid two dollars for those rooms. This was by far a waste of $200.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am in receipt of your detailed information and we have already worked with Sheraton to address this issue. Though an explanation at this point may seem redundant I would like to stress that county laws do not allow us to check in a guest unless they are 21 years of age or older....In this instance I believe we were attempting to assist by cancelling and rebooking under the name of the older person who would be occupying the room with you - regretably this seemed to complicate and possibly start your stay off the wrong way. I am very sorry for all the confusion and the perception you departed with. We are very dedicated to our guest experience and wanted your wedding night to be a special one and not spoiled. I hope that in the future you will be able to join us again and allow us to correct some of these issues.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist in any way - my email address is Joe.Giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had reserved a group rate for my wedding guests to stay at the Sheraton Columbia over Labor Day weekend. The tower rooms are very nice and have lovely views - in particular the corner rooms are quite large and provided a lovely setting for the bridal party to get ready. We were expecting the Lodge rooms to not be as nice, so that is fine.

However, my main complaint is that many guests had to wait over 2 hours to check into their rooms, even though they arrived at or after 3 pm, which is the stated check-in time. One couple actually just gave up their room and stayed in another couple's room after waiting over 2 hours and their room still not being ready. The hotel did not seem particularly apologetic about this inconvenience. The front desk also has very strict security, requiring to see an ID every time you get an extra key.

As others have mentioned, the Tower is rather noisy because of the open concept design. Also, to access the rooms on the 8th floor and above, guests must have a card which is designated for those floors. This was a bit problematic, as we were trying to get ready in one room and had to have the people staying in that room escort us up to the higher floor.

Room Tip: Corner Tower Rooms are the nicest.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for the detailed review of the property. I am reviewing your comments with my front office management team as I am very concerned about the length of time it took you to register. We have a wonderful housekeeping staff and rarely have challenges with rooms being available at, or after, 3pm.
Please do not hesitate to contact me direclty if I can be of any further service or if there are more details on the experience....I can be reached at Joe.Giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!