“Great location but choose your room!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Columbia
NY
“Great location but choose your room!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great location: the Kittamaqundi Lake is just behind the hotel, with scenic trails and some nice restaurants within walking distance. The Columbia Mall is right across the parkway. The rooms are good and well kept with the comfort you expect from a Sheraton. There is one problem, though: the hotel seems to be a popular place for weddings and reunions, so you may experience large lines during check-in or check-out, and worse: sleeping at night may be a challenge. The common areas used for the parties have no sound insulation from the reception area - and the apartments in the main tower are accessed by open aisles that seem to reverberate the sounds of loud conversation and the party noise from the ground floor. The hotel has other rooms in a nice annex that extends to the North where noise is not a problem - but the acess from the reception requires traversing a maze of corridors and stairs, so you may prefer to exit the building instead of walking indoors. Service ranges from great to indifferent - it really depends on whom you talk to. A nice thing about the hotel: it provides shuttle service to locations in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower are easily accessible but may be quite noisy (see review). Rooms in other sectors...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
I truly appreciate the amount and the detail you supplied on your recent stay with us... we always strive to do better and will use your reccommendations to improve. I realize the sound can travel throughout the atrium and we make every attempt to maintain noise levels low especially as the night moves on.
We hope that you will still stay with us on future visits - please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any service....my email is joe.giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Newport News, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

To whom it may concern,
My recent stay at the Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel was horrible. I had booked two rooms, each with two double beds, l through Expedia about a week before my check in date. I had called the hotel directly and asked for conjoining rooms, or at least to have them on the same floor next to each other. The person I spoke to said that would be no problem at all and she would make a note of it. When me, my wife and two brothers went to check in (all of which are in the military serving our country), we were rudely informed that I could not check in because I was "only" 20 years old even though my two brothers are over the age of 21 and were staying in those two rooms. The lady we were speaking to said that we should just call Expedia and change the reservation to one of their names because the other way to do it required her to do more work. After going to take care of changing the name on the reservation, we came back to the front desk and proceeded to check in. However, when she basically threw the two room keys at us, I asked if they were next to each other and all she said was "No it's too late for that we can't help you". A little taken back, I just walked away. To my surprise, not only were the rooms not next to each other, they were not even on the same floor. One was on the third floor and the other on the fifth. Already irritated, we went into the rooms and found that they were only one queen bed in each room when we specifically reserved two double beds. We walked straight back out to the front desk and told them what was wrong and they lady who we were spoke to acted as if she did not want to help us. She said that Expedia should not have even offered us the two double bed rooms and that it is solely Expedia's fault. I, however, made her fix it and asked to speak to a manager. She rudely said that that would be her. Her name was Sharlyene Joseph. I continued to explain how frustrating everything was and again, she took absolutely no blame for anything and just blamed it on Expedia. Getting nowhere, I walked away. We were all standing there with our bags for about thirty minutes and when we went up to her to ask what was going on she threatened to cancel our reservation all together. I highly doubt she was actually the manager, and if she is, she needs to be fired or demoted. She was extremely rude to all of us. When she finally gave the new keys to us, she stopped us from getting into the elevator and told us to go up the stairs for some reason. I found it very unprofessional and rude of her. Our rooms still were not on the same floors. It was my wedding night and had chose to stay at the Sheraton because I thought it would be a pleasant experience. For the one night we were able to take away from work, it was extremely unpleasant. Unfortunately, it turned the happiest day of my life into one of the worst nights. For the service I received I would not have even paid two dollars for those rooms. This was by far a waste of $200.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am in receipt of your detailed information and we have already worked with Sheraton to address this issue. Though an explanation at this point may seem redundant I would like to stress that county laws do not allow us to check in a guest unless they are 21 years of age or older....In this instance I believe we were attempting to assist by cancelling and rebooking under the name of the older person who would be occupying the room with you - regretably this seemed to complicate and possibly start your stay off the wrong way. I am very sorry for all the confusion and the perception you departed with. We are very dedicated to our guest experience and wanted your wedding night to be a special one and not spoiled. I hope that in the future you will be able to join us again and allow us to correct some of these issues.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist in any way - my email address is Joe.Giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had reserved a group rate for my wedding guests to stay at the Sheraton Columbia over Labor Day weekend. The tower rooms are very nice and have lovely views - in particular the corner rooms are quite large and provided a lovely setting for the bridal party to get ready. We were expecting the Lodge rooms to not be as nice, so that is fine.

However, my main complaint is that many guests had to wait over 2 hours to check into their rooms, even though they arrived at or after 3 pm, which is the stated check-in time. One couple actually just gave up their room and stayed in another couple's room after waiting over 2 hours and their room still not being ready. The hotel did not seem particularly apologetic about this inconvenience. The front desk also has very strict security, requiring to see an ID every time you get an extra key.

As others have mentioned, the Tower is rather noisy because of the open concept design. Also, to access the rooms on the 8th floor and above, guests must have a card which is designated for those floors. This was a bit problematic, as we were trying to get ready in one room and had to have the people staying in that room escort us up to the higher floor.

Room Tip: Corner Tower Rooms are the nicest.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for the detailed review of the property. I am reviewing your comments with my front office management team as I am very concerned about the length of time it took you to register. We have a wonderful housekeeping staff and rarely have challenges with rooms being available at, or after, 3pm.
Please do not hesitate to contact me direclty if I can be of any further service or if there are more details on the experience....I can be reached at Joe.Giannino@sheratoncolumbia.com.
Arrochar, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I had a very large room that was clean bright and modern. I can't fault the staff that I spoke with. Very helpful and friendly. My big problem was the noise. The hotel has an open atrium and all the rooms open onto this. While it looks very nice, all the noise from people in the floors above and below carry through the open space. More than once I was disturbed from my sleep by the noise from outside my room and from within the hotel. My advise is great place to stay but bring your earplugs.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing the property - we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Due to the nature of the atrium we do experience times when the lobby traffic and lounge patron noise travels. We have put in new wood/glass doors that we close in the evening in an attempt to reduce as much noise as possible. I am sorry for this disturbance and hope that you will continue to stay with us when in the Columbia area
Minneapolis,MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Pros: Clean, good bed, recently updated.
Cons: Front desk staff not helpful, no elevator in the 'lodge' rooms buildings, which feel more like Best Western than Sheridan, nice view of parking lot.

Overall not a bad spot, but this is an indepently owned and operated hotel, not up to Sheridan levels in terms of rooms or service.

Room Tip: The tower rooms are significantly different than the lodge rooms, which feel like a motel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for the feedback - our Lodge accommodations, though spacious and including additional amenities, are located in the original structure and of the hotel....being near the pool and fitness center is important to some of our clients and I will be sure to put in your history that you prefer the Tower for future stays. Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. Thank you.
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay July 27-July 31 in room 132 of the Lodge. My expectations were set VERY low, as this was a Priceline Express Deal for $50 a night & I didn't know that this was the hotel until after I paid. The Lodge has definitely seen better days, as there was wood rot everywhere outside and along the entrance doors and bugs in the stairwell leading out to the pool. Staff was also observed spraying air freshener up and down the hallway, yet bypassing room service trays and glasses that were left in the hallway overnight. It was almost an indignant attitude towards the dirty dishes, "not my job". Hotel cleanliness is EVERY employees job.

There was also no way to get the luggage cart to our room. There were several ways to get to our room, but all involved stairs. Not many steps, as little as 3, but if you have a hard time with steps, you should ask to stay in the Tower.

The Lodge rooms are located very close to the Outdoor pool, which was a plus. The pool was great, plenty big enough to swim laps and it's 8.5' deep at the deep end, having both ladders and steps to enter/exit. It was not heated, so the water could get a little cold. We took advantage of poolside food service one evening and it arrived hot/fresh and was pretty good. Prices are similar to ball game and bill includes 18% tip and delivery charge, so be careful when signing for your checks. Personally I thinking charging a delivery charge for room service is bush, by definition room service includes delivery. Was there an option for me to pick it up? The towels are provided and they are a nice size.

The room was adequately sized for me and my 2 small kids, but the beds were only full size so me and one son were a little squished as they would not deliver a rollaway, citing fire hazards, but seemed like plenty of room for a rollaway. In defense of the hotel, the Priceline deal does state that rooms will be guaranteed to sleep 2.

Location for our needs was top notch. A little closer to Balt then DC, but perfect for our needs since we went to ballgames in DC and Balt. Also, located on the lake was very scenic, although there isn't much a view from the Lodge. There is also a walking/exercise path that goes along the lake and through the woods. There are also paddle boats for rent near the hotel, but not affiliated with the hotel.

There were 2 restaurants in the hotel, but we didn't eat there (except for poolside delivery) as it was a little expensive for us. The bar had Happy Hour and pints of Sam Adams were only $4 during HH. The Columbia Mall is a short drive away and there are typical food court options inside the mall, as well as a movie theater, Pizzeria Uno and Cheesecake Factory outside the Mall.

Staff was very friendly and polite, but we had very limited interaction with them due to the Lodge having separate access points than the Tower. There was free parking in a 3 level covered garage, but there is closer outdoor parking to the Lodge.

There were plenty of banquet rooms and getting to The Lodge from the main hotel takes you right through any reception that is going on at the time. This was a little odd to me, as I'm pushing a full luggage cart right through the middle of someone's reception.

The gym seemed well equipped, with treadmills, elliptical machines and bikes. Both the pool and gym are located in the lodge and a bit of a walk from The Tower.

Overall, I was very pleased with the room, location, staff and our experience, but then again I was paying $50 a night through Priceline. I would definitely stay at this hotel again at those prices, but at $139-$150 a night, I'd probably look elsewhere. (this is only for the Lodge, as I have no idea what The Tower rooms cost). To the staffs credit, at no time did they make us feel inferior, or treat us differently because we were Priceline customers.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me at golfnut1266@aol.com. Good Luck.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the very detailed review of the property and its amenities. I will be reviewing the content with the Management team as you have supplied so very good feedback and opportunities for us to grown. We appreciate your business regardless of how you book and we look forward to your returning again soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel on the 3rd floor a couple of weeks ago! On my last night stay allegedly the desk received a few phones calks that my television was too loud.m the maintenance gut decides to bang like a maniac on the walk outside of my room, common sense would prevail that this is not a proper way to conduct oneself! The front desk proceeds to call and let me know that I need to turn my t,v, down! I was so livid and insulted I did not sleep all night!

Then I proceeded to the front desk during checkout and spoke to Michelle. She had no interest in my comp,ain't and did not offer any type of verbal support. I then proceeded to ask for a supervisor and I explained what happened. She then offered to but me lunch to compensate for the mishap!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to outline your experiece with us - I am truly sorry for the confusion and lack of sensitivity about the volume on the TV. I will work with the associates on how to better handle these situations and hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!