“Lodge is rundown..Tower Seemed Ok” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Long Island, NY
“Lodge is rundown..Tower Seemed Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay July 27-July 31 in room 132 of the Lodge. My expectations were set VERY low, as this was a Priceline Express Deal for $50 a night & I didn't know that this was the hotel until after I paid. The Lodge has definitely seen better days, as there was wood rot everywhere outside and along the entrance doors and bugs in the stairwell leading out to the pool. Staff was also observed spraying air freshener up and down the hallway, yet bypassing room service trays and glasses that were left in the hallway overnight. It was almost an indignant attitude towards the dirty dishes, "not my job". Hotel cleanliness is EVERY employees job.

There was also no way to get the luggage cart to our room. There were several ways to get to our room, but all involved stairs. Not many steps, as little as 3, but if you have a hard time with steps, you should ask to stay in the Tower.

The Lodge rooms are located very close to the Outdoor pool, which was a plus. The pool was great, plenty big enough to swim laps and it's 8.5' deep at the deep end, having both ladders and steps to enter/exit. It was not heated, so the water could get a little cold. We took advantage of poolside food service one evening and it arrived hot/fresh and was pretty good. Prices are similar to ball game and bill includes 18% tip and delivery charge, so be careful when signing for your checks. Personally I thinking charging a delivery charge for room service is bush, by definition room service includes delivery. Was there an option for me to pick it up? The towels are provided and they are a nice size.

The room was adequately sized for me and my 2 small kids, but the beds were only full size so me and one son were a little squished as they would not deliver a rollaway, citing fire hazards, but seemed like plenty of room for a rollaway. In defense of the hotel, the Priceline deal does state that rooms will be guaranteed to sleep 2.

Location for our needs was top notch. A little closer to Balt then DC, but perfect for our needs since we went to ballgames in DC and Balt. Also, located on the lake was very scenic, although there isn't much a view from the Lodge. There is also a walking/exercise path that goes along the lake and through the woods. There are also paddle boats for rent near the hotel, but not affiliated with the hotel.

There were 2 restaurants in the hotel, but we didn't eat there (except for poolside delivery) as it was a little expensive for us. The bar had Happy Hour and pints of Sam Adams were only $4 during HH. The Columbia Mall is a short drive away and there are typical food court options inside the mall, as well as a movie theater, Pizzeria Uno and Cheesecake Factory outside the Mall.

Staff was very friendly and polite, but we had very limited interaction with them due to the Lodge having separate access points than the Tower. There was free parking in a 3 level covered garage, but there is closer outdoor parking to the Lodge.

There were plenty of banquet rooms and getting to The Lodge from the main hotel takes you right through any reception that is going on at the time. This was a little odd to me, as I'm pushing a full luggage cart right through the middle of someone's reception.

The gym seemed well equipped, with treadmills, elliptical machines and bikes. Both the pool and gym are located in the lodge and a bit of a walk from The Tower.

Overall, I was very pleased with the room, location, staff and our experience, but then again I was paying $50 a night through Priceline. I would definitely stay at this hotel again at those prices, but at $139-$150 a night, I'd probably look elsewhere. (this is only for the Lodge, as I have no idea what The Tower rooms cost). To the staffs credit, at no time did they make us feel inferior, or treat us differently because we were Priceline customers.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me at golfnut1266@aol.com. Good Luck.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for the very detailed review of the property and its amenities. I will be reviewing the content with the Management team as you have supplied so very good feedback and opportunities for us to grown. We appreciate your business regardless of how you book and we look forward to your returning again soon.

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel on the 3rd floor a couple of weeks ago! On my last night stay allegedly the desk received a few phones calks that my television was too loud.m the maintenance gut decides to bang like a maniac on the walk outside of my room, common sense would prevail that this is not a proper way to conduct oneself! The front desk proceeds to call and let me know that I need to turn my t,v, down! I was so livid and insulted I did not sleep all night!

Then I proceeded to the front desk during checkout and spoke to Michelle. She had no interest in my comp,ain't and did not offer any type of verbal support. I then proceeded to ask for a supervisor and I explained what happened. She then offered to but me lunch to compensate for the mishap!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to outline your experiece with us - I am truly sorry for the confusion and lack of sensitivity about the volume on the TV. I will work with the associates on how to better handle these situations and hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future.
Highlands, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise this property turned out to be. Free garage parking that you would never get in Baltimore or DC in quiet picture-perfect surroundings; it was like a stop in the park.

I asked for a room change and got it! The room was oversized with a nice view. The restaurant breakfast buffet was impressive and the wait staff attentive. If you are driving and have the extra time, this property could be a tranquil alternative to other DC or Baltimore options.

• Stayed May 2013
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for the great review - I worked in the DC market for many years and agree that this is a nice area that offers a lot of opportunity for relaxation while being close another to the cities that you can easily get there. Hope you will be back again soon!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We have been to this hotel several times over the 4th of July. My husband and I met at the lake next to the Sheraton and also married there. We have been back several times. Once the staff found out we were celebrating our 15th year anniversary they upgraded our room. sent us a handwritten special note along with champagne and special yummy treats. This is a great place to stay in a very convenient location. It is next to a beautiful lake with lots of restaurants and a mall and movie theater practically next door. Parking is free. I highly recommend this hotel for the 4th of July fireworks. Columbia, MD has great fireworks display and wonderful entertainment. It is also a great place for a lil romantic get away. Mr. Ramon Yepez, the hotel rooms manager went out of his way to make our anniversary special. It is a great place for families also.

Room Tip: Ask for tower section and club level. Great lake views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
It was a pleasure hosting you on your 15th anniversary and am very happy that you enjoyed your stay, again, with us. I will certainly pass along your comments to Ramon - he is always dedicated to assisting our guests and making them feel special. We look forward to seeing you on your 16th...
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel has really stepped up its game (it was my 4th stay here). The town center festivities for July 4th were overwhelming to say the least and the Sheraton was an oasis in the midst of the mayhem. The staff were all very friendly, accommodating and really made me and my family feel welcome. They have updated the menu at the restaurant and it is fantastic, serving a variety of tasty goodies from pizza to delicious southern fare like shrimp and grits (my favorite) and chicken and waffles. I stayed in a Tower room and the beds and amenities are all high quality. The pool area was clean, stocked with towels and you can order room service right to your pool chair. This is a comfortable, affordable, clean hotel in a great location. Its a winner, I will be back soon!

Room Tip: Get a club level tower room with a view of the lake, its worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great 5 Star review - We truly appreciate the feedback and am glad you enjoyed your stay. Also, I will pass along your information on the menu to Tom and Kenny, our F&B Team, they will be very happy to hear. We look forward to seeing you again next year if not sooner!
Litchfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were able to book this hotel about a week ahead for only $89/night. The hotel is on the water where there is a local fireworks show. We stayed in "the lodge" portion of the hotel (separate from the main tower). Common areas needed painting, but the rooms were renovated. clean, and comfortable. Located just across the street from Town Center mall, this is a great location at a great price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the review of the property and your experience on the 4th of July. We enjoyed hosting everybody that evening and ensuring good views of the fireworks. We look forward to you returning again next year (or hopefully sooner)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here because it was the closest hotel to the concert venue down the street.

Pros: nice campus (campus because the hotel is right on the edge of a lake with trails and a forested setting), nice outdoor pool, clean room, awesome bed and pillows (really comfy), great restaurants within walking distance (Clyde's is excellent), shuttle took us to the concert venue but is is actually so close we walked back, nice outdoor seating overlooking the water, reasonable hotel rates, like the 12:00 checkout time

Cons: not rude, but definitely curt check-in staff; I only asked if my room was ready and when she said no when would it be ready - the clerk didn't need to bark at me that it was not and add the pointed and snarkey "GUARANTEED (heavy and curt accentuation) CHECK IN TIME IS 3:00PM" - hey hey hey not a big deal we were going to grab something to eat anyway jeesh; I do have to say that the other clerk seemed normal and when we came back another staff member was handing out bottles of water to people waiting in line so maybe it was a quirk

I would definitely stay here again and also recommend it to others. In fact when another artist that we like comes to the Merriweather we are considering adding a second night so we can relax and enjoy the campus some more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your response and I am sorry for the curt treameant you received - we know that concert weekends are heavy with early and large checkins and sorry if we came across short...I will certainly review this with the Team. Thank you for your words about the property and the surrounding area and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!