“Great deal and awesome location for 4th of July” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Litchfield, Connecticut
“Great deal and awesome location for 4th of July”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were able to book this hotel about a week ahead for only $89/night. The hotel is on the water where there is a local fireworks show. We stayed in "the lodge" portion of the hotel (separate from the main tower). Common areas needed painting, but the rooms were renovated. clean, and comfortable. Located just across the street from Town Center mall, this is a great location at a great price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you very much for the review of the property and your experience on the 4th of July. We enjoyed hosting everybody that evening and ensuring good views of the fireworks. We look forward to you returning again next year (or hopefully sooner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here because it was the closest hotel to the concert venue down the street.

Pros: nice campus (campus because the hotel is right on the edge of a lake with trails and a forested setting), nice outdoor pool, clean room, awesome bed and pillows (really comfy), great restaurants within walking distance (Clyde's is excellent), shuttle took us to the concert venue but is is actually so close we walked back, nice outdoor seating overlooking the water, reasonable hotel rates, like the 12:00 checkout time

Cons: not rude, but definitely curt check-in staff; I only asked if my room was ready and when she said no when would it be ready - the clerk didn't need to bark at me that it was not and add the pointed and snarkey "GUARANTEED (heavy and curt accentuation) CHECK IN TIME IS 3:00PM" - hey hey hey not a big deal we were going to grab something to eat anyway jeesh; I do have to say that the other clerk seemed normal and when we came back another staff member was handing out bottles of water to people waiting in line so maybe it was a quirk

I would definitely stay here again and also recommend it to others. In fact when another artist that we like comes to the Merriweather we are considering adding a second night so we can relax and enjoy the campus some more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your response and I am sorry for the curt treameant you received - we know that concert weekends are heavy with early and large checkins and sorry if we came across short...I will certainly review this with the Team. Thank you for your words about the property and the surrounding area and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Hospitality is not in this hotel's vocabulary, and I travel and stay at a lot of SPG hotels. The staff including the front desk is very unapproachable(even though you're spending $190 for a room) there are a ton of hotels in the area with friendly staff, stay away!

• Stayed June 2013
I read your review and am very sorry that the hotel did not meet your needs. I will certainly review your comments with our associates and meet personally with our front desk team about how our guest perceives our services. I can assure you we take this level of input very serious and will make the neccessary changes to better serve you in the future - we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to gain your trust in us.
Spotsylvania, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here for one night last week and enjoyed a peaceful setting for a little rest and relaxation. The room was clean, amenities plentiful- such as the robe, Starbucks coffee, and the Club Lounge continental breakfast. I was in a Tower room which was quiet and had a beautiful view of the lake. My mini stay was all I could ask for; and the bed was completely luxurious! My head hit the cushy pillow and I fell asleep in record time. Overall, I was very pleased and would be happy to stay here again. Thank you!

Room Tip: I recommend the tower rooms highly!
Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
I am very happy that you found the hotel, the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper and the surroundings to be pleasing. I will share your input with the associates and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Long Island, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We traveled down for a two night stay for a wedding here and found the surrounding area beautiful and convenient. There should be only nice things to say about the hotel but I couldn't find many. The staff made zero attempt to cater to the guests. There was an infestation of ants on the pool deck, there was a standing water 3 inch deep 4 foot long puddle in front of the entrance to our room, even the soda machines were out of order, and in the three days we were there not one attempt to rectify any of these problems was made. On top of that they put a large hold on the card you use to check in, more than the actual bill, which wasn't small, and they don't tell you that it will take over a week to clear even if you pay in cash until you check out. The Sunday buffet was actually very good but real pricey.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review. I will be investigating the issues you outlined and make corrections. I share your concern with the approach of the front desk and we will retrain. Thank you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our family booked this hotel for a one night stay, since our daughter had a softball tournament in the area. We arrived at 2pm in between games to see if we could check in. ( check in is at 4pm). I was told our room was not ready and to come back later. Not a problem, since I knew I was early anyway. When I asked the front desk when I would be able to check in, she rolled her eyes and told me " the room will be ready when it's ready." So much for the friendly service.

We came back at 8pm to check in. Our room was ready. The room was low to average. The room had a musty smell. Carpet had stains, bathroom had mold around the bottom of the toilet. One of the three lamps was out. Beds were average... Nothing wonderful but not bad. Although, I didn't really get a chance to sleep since we were kept up all night by loud guests.

The hotel was extremely loud and when I say loud, I mean loud! There were people in the lobby at 2am hanging out and being as loud as possible and the front desk did nothing. The walls are super thin as well. This hotel has an atrium lobby with doors facing the lobby on all floors. The noise really carries.

I would think twice about staying here, especially if you have children as the noise will keep them up. Even if the room was free, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review on the property - I am very sorry for the inconveniences you suffered. I will speak with the desk staff and our overnight security about how to better handle the noise that does travel in the atrium - though a beautiful feature it does carry noise. I hope that this will not keep you from returning and I assure you we will take corrective action based on your input.
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visited Sheraton in Columbia for a wedding reception.
The location is pretty – hotel overlooks the lake. Parking was convenient and free. Yes, the décor is dated, but not terrible. Food at the reception was barely passable.
The really bad part were the plates for the reception. They were thick ceramic white plates that looked dirty and scraped because they have been used past their “expiration date”. To cater a wedding reception using those plates is a shame.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for the input on your experience at a wedding at the porperty. I am sorry you found the food and china not to your standing. I will review the food issues immediately with our Executive Chef as, though normally we recieve very positive feedback, he is very interested in what our customer thinks of the quaility of the food. Regarding the china, though we have different patterns, I understand your input and will work on bringing in new china in the months to come. Thank you.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!