“One Night - ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Purcellville, Virginia
“One Night - ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed here one night, prior to my participating in the Columbia Triathlon. The room was spacious, but obviously in need of an upgrade. We stayed on the far side of the property on the bottom floor - and there was a damp mustiness to the room.
We did appreciate the 12:00 checkout time and the price was very reasonable. The staff were very nice and a front desk attendant walked us through the property to find our room - which would have been difficult to navigate without him.
Overall, a convenient location, but in need of some upkeep/renovations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for the survey - we always appreciate the feedback. I am glad you liked the property and we always look forward to hosting the athletes for the triathalons. I will personally review the room you were in and ensure that we make the neccessary fixes in the room - thank you.
Look forward to your future stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
York, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here at the advice of a friend who also frequents this establishment for the M3 Rock Festival weekend in May each year. The main reason for this is due to the fact that so many bands that play at the festival also stay at this hotel, plus it's also very close to Clyde's (an upscale bar/grill hangout within walking distance of the hotel).

Overall the room was fine, a little bigger than your average Super 8, Comfort Inn type of room but nothing extravagant. It was clean, the linens were fresh and everything worked as expected however it was quite overpriced in my opinion. The rate of 229.00 per night for a basic room, again although nice, is way out of what I normally go for and overpriced. I'm sure they jack up the rates for local events like M3 but still. My 6th floor room had basic features such as the HD TV, Wifi, desk, etc. Things you'd normally expect in a basic room at any hotel. King size bed was fine but not over the top more comfortable than other places.

The towels were exceptionally nice and soft and there were several extras in the bathroom.

The Wifi is somewhat confusing if you're not paying attention. When accessing it you must sign in of course, but it then gives you an option of "free for 24 hours" or 9.95 billed to room. I didn't need it since my 4G phone was more than sufficient but if I were someone using wifi I'd definitely check into that just to be safe.

One thing about check in, if you use a debit/check card they will put a hold for the balance of your stay on your card immediately but other expenses jacked up the hold on my card an extra 50.00. I questioned this at the front desk and they couldn't explain it other than to say "it should drop off when you check out". Should?? When it's my check card you better be sure of your answer.

As it turns out the extra 50.00 did drop off but I question the reason behind taking that extra money in a pending state regardless of the general policy of the hotel. Apparently those additional expenses aren't held against you if you use a regular credit card.

Overall I probably will stay here again because it is a hot spot for people at the festival, including the bands. If that wasn't the case though I'd be just as happy spending 140.00 less per night at another hotel. I will in the future not be paying with a debit card and will either pay with cash at the time of check in or use a credit card.

Another issue I had was that I asked the front desk at check in about the use of a roll out cot for my room. They said I could just ask for it when I came back that night (rather than request it at check in) from the show that night and they'd send it up (25.00 extra per night). As it turns out I came back about midnight or so, asked the front desk for one and they said they might have one and if so they'd send it up. That never happened.

Overall it's a nice hotel, the grounds were clean, most of the staff was helpful except for the front desk, and the experience although far from perfect wasn't all bad.

*This is my second attempt at a review for this hotel; the first one didn't fully submit correctly.*

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for posting a detailed review of the property. The M3 festival as well as other festivals sell out very quickly and, though we do not charge additional, we do charge or normal base rates for the property. We enjoy hosting the bands and fans and continue to make arrangements to be able to better serve all our guests. Look forward to welcoming you back next year for the show!
Wurtsboro, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Was really amazed at the hotel after reading some people wrote yes it was pricey but the room we had was real large on the first floor .but it was clean. Up to date Came in an out all night long the group I was with was rather loud .The buffet was alittle high priced but the food was good and hot .The staff was really friendly and helped in anyway they could ,Had a sick friend(hung over) in the room. I asked if I could bring back some fruit for her .and was told no problem.As for stink bug did not see any bugs. The grounds around the hotel was real nice with a lake and walking path.as for the walk to the event it was no problem .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thanks for writing about your experience at the property - we are glad you emjoyed your stay and hopefully the fesitval as well. I will pass along your comments to our food and beverage associates - I am sure they will appreciate. Looking forward to welcoming you back next year.
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel would be average at best, decor is dated, roof leaking in lobby, etc. But the real issue is the stink bugs in the room. Two nights in a row, I see bugs crawling on the ceiling, does not make for a good nights sleep... When I checked out, person at the front desk wasn't surprised of my complaint, she says "oh yes, those are stink bugs". Ok, thanks for identifying the type of bug in the room, but WHY are there ANY bugs in the room?? She eventually offered to take $25 off the bill, was hoping for more but whatever. The Manager came over, offered his apology and explanation of "they are in the area and tough to get rid of". Really, try harder? Won't be staying there, and question the quality of the Sheraton brand going forward.

On the bright side, I ordered room service one night and it was really delicious.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your input and concerns with the property - we, along with all hotels and buidlings on the East Coast, have been working very hard on mitigating the population of 'stink bugs'. We certainly do not accept them and take any citing serious. I am happy that room service met your expectations and only hope that you will give us another chance on a future visit. Thank you.
Medford, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Had read some reviews of this hotel before arrival and was kind of dreading our night there - lots of people going on and on about stink bugs - not sure what they are but didnt sound good!
Anyway got there and staff were quite friendly and helpful and although it did take some time did get my rooms sorted a little earlier than expected. Guest laundry and internet good and quite a good location.
Nice (man made?) lake behind the hotel with path alongside it which was nice and very close to what was apparently a pretty good mall - I was out riding my bike and again pretty good location for that.
Didnt make it to the bar or restaurant but the standard of the hotel was pretty good and would use again...

Room Tip: We were in the lodge and rooms ok - tower night be better but cant confirm that
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about the property - glad you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. Hopefully on a future stay you will be able to experience the outlets - our great Sheraton Social Hour - and the mall. Looking foward to welcoming you back again soon.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Management and front desk service was extremely poor. I had left my phone charger at the hotel and called to confirm they had it and the time I could come by to pick it up. Drove 40 minutes at the confirmed time only to find that they had locked it in a safe and the only person with access to it would be available the next morning, and told me to come back again.

I asked if they could mail it to me and they said they weren't sure and would have to get back to me. Waited. No call. Called the hotel multiple times and still could not get a yes or no regarding sending it by mail. They still expected me to drive 40 minutes back to the hotel. Horrible service from the night desk person - she was not remotely helpful. Finally, a friend who was in the area offered to swing by to pick it up on the way back.

The hotel room itself was satisfactory but management is so much better at the BWI locations (Westin, Sheraton and Four Points at BWI).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I am very sorry to hear about the situation with your phone - I will review this with the staff. Hopefully you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
effort pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here for business spent only one day. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was very clean and the lunch we had during the seminar was very good. The setting is nice as well there is a small lake in the back of the property with a board walk type dock that you can walk about a quarter mile along the lake was very nice.

I believe this hotel is used more for business it's not like you would travel here for a vacation possibly to stay when traveling by. I would recommend this hotel met all my expectations.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the associates and dining experience. I will share these comments with our associates. Thanks again and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!