“More stink bugs...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Cleveland, Ohio
“More stink bugs...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel would be average at best, decor is dated, roof leaking in lobby, etc. But the real issue is the stink bugs in the room. Two nights in a row, I see bugs crawling on the ceiling, does not make for a good nights sleep... When I checked out, person at the front desk wasn't surprised of my complaint, she says "oh yes, those are stink bugs". Ok, thanks for identifying the type of bug in the room, but WHY are there ANY bugs in the room?? She eventually offered to take $25 off the bill, was hoping for more but whatever. The Manager came over, offered his apology and explanation of "they are in the area and tough to get rid of". Really, try harder? Won't be staying there, and question the quality of the Sheraton brand going forward.

On the bright side, I ordered room service one night and it was really delicious.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your input and concerns with the property - we, along with all hotels and buidlings on the East Coast, have been working very hard on mitigating the population of 'stink bugs'. We certainly do not accept them and take any citing serious. I am happy that room service met your expectations and only hope that you will give us another chance on a future visit. Thank you.

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Medford, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Had read some reviews of this hotel before arrival and was kind of dreading our night there - lots of people going on and on about stink bugs - not sure what they are but didnt sound good!
Anyway got there and staff were quite friendly and helpful and although it did take some time did get my rooms sorted a little earlier than expected. Guest laundry and internet good and quite a good location.
Nice (man made?) lake behind the hotel with path alongside it which was nice and very close to what was apparently a pretty good mall - I was out riding my bike and again pretty good location for that.
Didnt make it to the bar or restaurant but the standard of the hotel was pretty good and would use again...

Room Tip: We were in the lodge and rooms ok - tower night be better but cant confirm that
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about the property - glad you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. Hopefully on a future stay you will be able to experience the outlets - our great Sheraton Social Hour - and the mall. Looking foward to welcoming you back again soon.
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Management and front desk service was extremely poor. I had left my phone charger at the hotel and called to confirm they had it and the time I could come by to pick it up. Drove 40 minutes at the confirmed time only to find that they had locked it in a safe and the only person with access to it would be available the next morning, and told me to come back again.

I asked if they could mail it to me and they said they weren't sure and would have to get back to me. Waited. No call. Called the hotel multiple times and still could not get a yes or no regarding sending it by mail. They still expected me to drive 40 minutes back to the hotel. Horrible service from the night desk person - she was not remotely helpful. Finally, a friend who was in the area offered to swing by to pick it up on the way back.

The hotel room itself was satisfactory but management is so much better at the BWI locations (Westin, Sheraton and Four Points at BWI).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I am very sorry to hear about the situation with your phone - I will review this with the staff. Hopefully you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
effort pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here for business spent only one day. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was very clean and the lunch we had during the seminar was very good. The setting is nice as well there is a small lake in the back of the property with a board walk type dock that you can walk about a quarter mile along the lake was very nice.

I believe this hotel is used more for business it's not like you would travel here for a vacation possibly to stay when traveling by. I would recommend this hotel met all my expectations.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the associates and dining experience. I will share these comments with our associates. Thanks again and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This used to be a very worn out hotel. In the last year or so they renovated the lobby and tower rooms. Not sure about the Lodge area. Lobby is very comfortable; so are the rooms. Club level was a little noisy, not sure why since it's the top floor.

The catering department could use a little help though. Lobby internet was having issues when I was there.

Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about the property. We finished a major renovation back in 2009 and have bee n making upgrades since. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We also make some increases to our internet bandwidth and will certainly look into the challenges you experienced.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was expecting much nicer from a Sheraton, especially since we are SPG Preferred Guest Members I was expecting to be treated like a Preferred SPG memeber, I would hate to see if you were NOT an SPG Member!! . They put us in an area they call " The Lodge" instead of the "Tower" The room was way at the other end of the complex and was very hard to find in the dark, since the room numbers were not listed on the buildings outside , you actually had to guess and use your key to go inside each building before you found out that was not your building, and it was sleeting that night, was not a well lite area either. We made our Reservation at least 2 months in advance directly with Reservations as SPG Members, we informed them that we would be a late arrival probably around midnight to please save our room, and they had our Credit Card to bill us even if we did not show. When the Original reservation was made we requested a KIng bed. Upon arrival we were told there we no king beds avilable only dbls. I told the woman that I made the reservation requesting a King and showed her my reservation paper work which was confirmed a King Bed SPG Member, well all of a sudden they found one......... ??? The Room left alot to be desired, tons of chipping paint on door frames, old carpeting, bathroom needed some updating, the wood vanity was peeling wood off of it. IF I elected to stay here again I would request the " Tower" becuase I think the Tower rooms are newer, maybe?

Room Tip: Try to ask for a "Tower" Room NOT a Lodge Room as I believe these rooms are older and need...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of the property. I will certainly review this with all our associates as we value all our guests as well as wanting to exceed the expectations of our SPG clients. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance and I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you.
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a business trip; it was recommended by our clients. It's in a suburban location near a mall, so nothing special although some rooms look out onto a pretty lake. The staff made this a five star hotel. The front desk, restaurant and bar staff, and a hotel worker who walked me to the hard to find fitness room--all were excellent and incredibly friendly. They turned a good hotel into an excellent stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments on the property and our associates. I will certainly pass them along. I am very pleased we met you expectations and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!