“Decent hotel, a little bland in a bland area” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
“Decent hotel, a little bland in a bland area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Columbia is a bland little place whose "town center" is a shopping mall. The Sheraton is fine, though it reflects the character of its location. The hotel consists of a tower and a 3 story wing of rooms along the town lake. Nice enough. We stayed there for a hockey tournament, so really had no choice of other accommodations. The staff was pleasant, food was OK (and some really good food choices are just a few steps away from the hotel.) Our room was clean, a little worn, but clean. I would ask yourself "do I really want/need to stay in Columbia?" If the answer is yes, than the Sheraton is a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for the feedback and taking time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and commented on the Town Center feeling that Columbia is known for. We hope that your future travels will bring you back and look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have stayed several times in this hotel in Columbia, MD where we go to visit with family. It is a very comfortable hotel with excellent service and a good restaurant overlooking the lake. Columbia is "New Town" with a picturesque location and several good restaurants. Hotel is less than a mile from our family's house so it is very convenient for us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for the kind words on our property and Associates. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your visits with us more enjoyable.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

When I stay at a Sheraton, I do so because of the fact that it is a Sheraton. With that brand comes the expectation of a superb property, well maintained rooms, and an excellent staff. This property met a few of those criteria: the staff was very friendly and helpful, the location was decent, and I had a view of the river. The hotel itself, however, is pretty sub par as far as my expectations were concerned- the room was older, the bed just wasn't a Sheraton bed, the room had a funny smell (cats, maybe?). On the interior, it appeared to be more like a Holiday Inn. Overall, this was an OK place to stay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for the time you took to write a review on our property. I am delighted you found the associates accommodating - that said I am sorry that you felt the property dated. We continue to work very hard to maintain an inviting property with the amenities that you would expect from our brand. Please let me know if your travel bring you back through this areas as I would be happy to assist with your booking and ensuring your comfort.
Nanuet, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is an excellent property with a great staff. I would highly recommend this location except for one thing. The TV is horrible. I usually travel for work and stay at hotels for one to two weeks at a time. I like to watch some TV at the end of the day and I typically watch the number 1 highest rated network in the USA which for the past few years happens to be Univision. They offered the number two three four and fifth rated networks, however the network with the greatest number of viewers was nowhere to be seen. In fact there was no spanish language programming available at all. Although disappointing, I would probably return to this hotel because of the staff.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are larger and have a great view of the lake.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback - We have reached out to our cable provider and asked that they assist us with packages or the availiability of Spanish speaking stations. This is something we have been working on and assure you it will be resolved shortly. Thank You.
Boca Raton, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Columbia MD we are from FL. & we went to MD for business/pleasure. The hotel pictures online must have been taken when the hotel was originally built. The hotel is lacking in upkeep & maintance, our room had paint peeling off the walls, door to the bathroom had old paint peeling off too, the bedding comforters were yellowed instead of being a crisp white. Dust everywhere I guess we should have picked a "pure room" so that we could have had dust free bedding etc. TV line up of channels basic. Noisy rooms we could hear the neighbors entire converations etc... we had to leave the tv on to drown out the noise for our kids at night. The ony thing going for this hotel is its location. When we complained the staff just brushed us off as if they had enough business & our complaints were not important. I am surprised that Sheraton does not perform quality inspections on their franchises as we expected a Starwood affiliate property to have higher standards than a typical 2 star hotel. I don't think the owner of the hotel cares since it seems they make most of their revenue through local businesses & conferences not on tourists. If they priced their hotel at $100 or less & it was rated a 2 star then you would expect exactly what they provide. If your an avid traveler use to nice,modern,clean rooms then look elsewhere, pictures do not represent current conditions of property/rooms!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am sorry with your concerns on the room quaility and service. I assure you we work hard to provide superior service train our associates on all brand levels. I hope that this will not keep you from returning in the future and allowing us to show you the true level of product and service we can deliver
Fort Worth, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference and I was amazed at the view - it is literally RIGHT on a lake with a park and walking trails surrounding it. With it being fall the leaves and trees looked amazing and I'm sure it would be even more beautiful with snow . . . the room I was in was very nice with a vaulted ceiling as well . . .
There is also an excellent sushi restaurant right up the street, also right on the lake . . .

However, I was not really impressed with the dining service at the conference - it seemed like they were always behind and not very organized. Also, the gift shop is not really a gift shop . . . they have a few drinks and snacks and that is it - even that part was not really well stocked.

The thing that really drove me crazy was internet access - as in there wasn't any - my ipad would connect but the connection was so bad that it would disconnect almost immediately and would not download anything. This also effected several conference presenters.

I wouldn't return to this hotel for a business trip because of the internet problems, but it would be a great hotel to stay at to get away from everything for a few days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel - we are gald you found the property and the surroundings beautiful. Regarding some of the concerns about the food availability of items at our snacl center - I apologize. I will speak with out Banquet Team and we will review the evening and the possible delay that you experienced. I am happy to announce that we are one-week away from having our Internet bandwidth adjust to 50mpbs which will more than satisfy the needs of the property - I am sorry that you experienced the poor levels we currently have.
I hope that you will consider returning in the future and please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.
Columbia, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Columbia Town Center for 10 days after we relocated back to Maryland from overseas. As a military family, we have the opportunity to stay in many different places and our experience at the Sheraton was fantastic. Our rooms were always very clean and the staff was very professional and courteous. The location was ideal, close to the highways and across the street from the mall. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Welcome Home and thank you for your service to our Country.
We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our lakefront location and the Mall across the street.
We hope that you will have the opportunity to return and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel? Share your experiences!