“Great Updated Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Updated Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Courtyard Marriott was recently updated and has a very modern, clean look to it. We've been staying in the area for a while for work, and after trying several other hotels, settled on Courtyard Marriott. It's sort of a new breed of hotels that has fewer offerings, but does them well - I'd compare it to a Hyatt Place.

PROS:
- Free wireless internet and free parking

- The lobby is very swanky/modern and the cafe is right in the middle. There are plenty of great areas to relax, work or grab a bite. The food is affordable and very tasty. Great breakfast selections as well and everything is prepared fast.

-. The fitness center is open 24 hours a day

- Convenience shop with snacks, frozen foods (there is a microwave there too), toiletries, etc. that is open very late

- Modern rooms with great splashes of color, flat screen TVs and expanded channel line up. The rooms were clean, everything was fully stocked, etc. Most rooms also have a small fridge

- Close to restaurants, shopping, etc. There's a steak house within walking distance

- The staff is very friendly and helpful. Check in is fast, no hassles there

CONS (no major cons really, but just some things to note):
- there is no room service. Their staff is somewhat limited, so if you call down for something (like a blow dryer), it may take a while to get it

- no movie rentals through the TV

- the beds are somewhat uncomfortable, but not terrible. The worst part was the very thin blanket that barely kept me warm. I started requesting a second one to be brought to my room.

Overall, a great affordable hotel. There are a few flaws, but they get the majority of things right.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Towson, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

First, LOVE this hotel. The things that stand our are great customer service, a really neat twist on in hotel restaurant offerings with a sort of "diner" in the lobby. Affordable and with a nice selection (even for kids). We were able to buy something and then bring it up to our room .. which was fabulous. The diner itself has cool seats, little TVs at some of the booths and an overall "coolness".

The room was very nice. Sort of Japanese hip ... red shots of color, nice furniture ... just great.

Up until we went to bed, it was one of the best moderate hotels I ever stayed at.

Then we went to sleep. And then we woke up and we woke up and we woke up.

I have no idea what was going on, but the heat was the loudest I've EVER heard. I'm a very deep sleeper, and yet the heat woke me up all night long with a super loud VROOOOM whenever it kicked in. In addition, the room was sweltering. We lowered the heat when we went to bed, and then lowered it again in the middle of the night, but it was just dreadful.

I have no idea what was going on or why it happened ... but we're experienced travelers and not light sleepers.

Unfortunately, it truly marred our experience as we wanted desperately to rest up.

That being said, the hotel is convenient to many restaurants. good shopping, merriweather and much more.

As long as you turn the heat off (I think that's the only solution) .. you will have a wonderful experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I stayed two nights at the thanks giving holiday 2010. The staff were extremely helpful and nice. The rooms are clean, spacious, everything was perfect

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Overall the hotel was great. Clean rooms, clean rugs, no smelly, musty odors. The location is ideal and the prices are excellent. The staff was very polite and helpful. Nevertheless the overall experience was good except for one thing. Are there any honest people left? I left a full size shampoo & conditioner & facial product in the shower. I called the next morning while staying at the Marriott in downtown Philly. The products were never turned in. Why am I not surprised?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We travel frequently and have stayed at many Courtyards but this is by far the best. Our check-in was fast and easy and we were actually greeted with a smile. The rooms were beautifully decorated with very comfortable beds, large flat screen TV which turned in all directions, free wireless and a very clean bathroom. The room colors are very soothing and our room had a small balcony overlooking the courtyard. When we asked about dining in the area, we were given a map with many different restaurants and received a recommendation of the Stanford Grill which is right next to the hotel. Fantastic restaurant! The food was delicious (I had the best crab cakes, made fresh with lump crabmeat and no fillers and my husband had the chicken, another great pick.) When we told them we were staying at the Courtyard we received a free dessert. Also delicious. They had a small band playing in the bar which added to the lovely mood. By far one of the best restaurants we have ever dined at. If you are in the area definitely stay at the Courtyard and enjoy a meal at the Stanford Grill.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

The rooms have red accents instead of the usual blue and green. The effect is noticeable: I liked this room more than I have most Courtyards.

The bed also seemed better than at most Courtyards I've stayed at lately. Synthetic duvet, natural fiber pillows; the bedding could be far better, but it's adequate. Indoor pool and hot tub. Free wireless.

The laundry room has only one washer ($1/load, free detergent) and one dryer ($1/30 minutes). The machines were broken on my last stay here, but they were working this time. Staff were very accommodating.

Like most hotels in Columbia, this one is hard to find: get good directions.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I had my luggage stolen from outside my hotel room door while staying at this hotel. It happened around 2am when we were going back and forth taking things to our car & left some items unattended for a short while. When I went to the front desk the manager on duty was horrible. Said there was nothing she could do. Would not even try to help or be proactive in helping me. There are no security cameras in the hallways either. Unless they get better management at this location, I would not stay here. They are not equipped to provide proper customer service when a situation arises out of the norm.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia? Share your experiences!