“Typical Courtyard” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Portland, Connecticut
“Typical Courtyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The rooms are a bit on the small side but it all works pretty well. Our room was very clean and the bed exceptionally comfortable. Internet was free and the connection was strong. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Stanford Grill is right up the stairs outside the door for great dining. Other than the fact that it is a little off the beaten track it is a great place to stay. I got a very good rate and was completely satisfied with our stay. I would stay here again without hesitation.

We did not eat at the hotel or use the pool or health club.

Room Tip: It is a very quiet location so noise will not be an issue.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thanks for the review Zabelle! We like to think of our selves as ahidden gem tucked away in this quiet business park. Happy to hear everything went well with your stay and that you even had an opportunity to enjoy Stanford Grill right out the front door. Another excellent establishment. Keep in mind we have our own Bistro conveniently on property as well which is open for breakfast, Dinner, Starbucks all day and offers full bar service in the evenings! Hope to see you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a work meeting nearby. The hotel was cleaner than expected. The service was excellent from the front desk and the cafe. Overall it is a standard courtyard hotel. The room set up and couch was nice. The furniture was a bit awkward with the closet blocking the TV, but the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for staying with us and taking time to review our property! We are very happy to hear of your experience with our staffs service and cleanliness. Key ingredients to a Great stay! If back at our hotel in the future the TV is on a sliding tray and this can be pulled out for improved viewing... Hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again!

Warm regards,
Amherst, New Hampshire, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently spent two nights at this property and really did not like it. It has been updated, but my room had several stains on the wallpaper and several stains on the carpet. Stains make me worry about how dirty a hotel room can be and ruins the stay. The bed was not very appealing either. A few sheets and a thin bedspread was pretty much it. The TV remote was "sticky". The whole room just made me very uneasy. The breakfast at the little cafe near the lobby was good, but again, tables were not very clean and there were greasy finger prints left on the dividers between the tables. For the price charged, I was expecting a lot more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We needed to book three nights in a hotel with a good rate, close to family in Columbia for a summer get-together. Location was excellent, and our room was comfortable, quiet, and extremely clean. I often plug stuff into outlets behind nightstands, and even the area back there was completely dust-free! Wow. Front desk staff was helpful, and parking area was close by and well lit. Great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thanks for taking time to review our property! So happy to hear things went well... Hope to see you again soon!

Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The room was fine. But, I was told there would be a refrigerator in the room. I called ahead of time and was told there was a refrigerator. I asked at the front desk when I checked in and was assured there was a refrigerator. There wasn't. I called the desk at 5 pm and made them aware of the situation. They said housekeeping would get me a refrigerator. I went out to dinner - checking in with the front desk first. Yes, yes, there would be a refrigerator. When I returned to my room at 8:00 -- no refrigerator! Not a huge deal if that's not on the list of things you need, but after being assured four times that there would be a refrigerator and there is none, it is a big deal. I had a choice of hotels to stay at ... next time I will make a different choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback Divecat13. I am truly sorry the experience you described on your recent stay. As you can imagine, we are also greatly dissapointed that a simple request to provide a refridegerator was not handled properly by our team. The staff here at the Columbia Courtyard takes great pride in service and clearly there was a break in the process and some miscommunication surrounding this task. We will evaluate the procedures utilized and refresh all on appropriate handling to ensure guest satisfaction moving forward. At a time convenient to you, please contact me directly so I may get a few more details on this sitution to further assist in preventing for future guests. Thanks again for taking time to share feedback and I hope we will have another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Englewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We needed a hotel close to the Howard County Fair Grounds and, although 19 miles away, our needs were well met. Although apparently almost 20 years old, the hotel doesn't show it's age. The room was quiet and comfy with a king and sofa bed. The bathroom served it's purpose. We did not have breakfast but they do have a very nice patio for evening drinks. We love Marriott products and this one fits the bill.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thanks for taking time to share feed back on your recent stay Rbandron! We are very proud of our brand and hotel, happy to hear this was the right fit for you as well. The annual Sheep and Wool festival in this area is one of the best, hope to see you again next year! Thanks again for staying with us and sharing your feedback.
Twinsburg, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was good and the service is above average. Location is great for going to the city and site seeing. Also, safe location for jogging and walking. The only downside is that the hot tub was out of commission due to facility improvements. I wish the website had mentioned this since I was traveling with my family. Otherwise good stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ColumbiaCourtyardMD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thanks for taking time to share your feedback Bighalloween! I was happy to hear that it was a great experience with the exception of our pool deck expansion. This is a work in progress which we are really excited about. I hope you will be back again soon to see the final product!
Len
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
Hampton Inn Columbia
#2 of 12 in Columbia
4.5 of 5 stars 311 reviews
SpringHill Suites Columbia

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia? Share your experiences!