“Nice hotel when in Columbia, MD area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
New Jersey
“Nice hotel when in Columbia, MD area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

This Courtyard has been remodeled with the new lobby and restaurant, etc. I saw the same new lobby design at a Courtyard in Seattle and it's nice and modern. I think the guest room has been updated as well. Front desk check-in could have been friendlier but different person checking me out was super-friendly.

It's your basically nice Courtyard. I think the whole place has been recently remodeled. Stayed there two years ago, was given a key to a room, and when I got inside I discovered the window was totally shrink-wrapped from the outside due to work on the exterior. It was like being trapped in a box! I immediately called the front desk and got my room changed (can't believe they didn't mention this before sending me to that room). No such incident this time.

New lobby is very nice, with a fireplace, comfortable seating, and computers. There is complimentary coffee in the morning and their restaurant is the type where you walk up and place an order. I thought the breakfast was good.

I would recommend the Stanford Grill for dinner. It is a nice restaurant in an adjacent parking lot. They take reservations but we got a table early on Saturday evening without one. Delicious food and live music.

Both times I've stayed here I have found this hotel difficult to find, even with directions from mapquest or Google maps. It's off what I would call a secondary road and I'd say it's a little tricky to find that last turn. But if you find it and get a good rate (weekends seem reasonable), it's a good place to stay on business or for a weekend in the Columbia, MD area. Don't take your luggage into the lobby when you check in -- you are probably going to have to drive around to an entrance that is closer to your room anyway, just because of the way the hotel is set up.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I have stayed twice at this site. I like the location, the room, the price(weekends),but the resturant is another story. Both times that I have stayed, my breakfast order was served incorrectly. Some the staff is difficult to understand and they make no effort to confirm my order. When corrected, they act that it was my fault. I have only had breakfast but fear dinner. The review would be excellent if it weren't for the restaurant.
'

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Valley Forge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

As others have noted, this is a post-modern design lobby with a quick serve restaurant on the premises. Check-in was very quick, even though there was a party in front of me at the front desk. My stay was extremely comfortable. I can easily recommend the hotel facility itself.

Only drawback was location. The hotel is located in an office park and behind another hotel. Oddly, you can see the Courtyard from the main road but when you get inside the complex, it's buried. Were I a business traveler with meetings in this development, life would be good. However, I was here as a leisure traveler and there wasn't a lot of interesting stuff nearby. .You'll find a decent assortment of chain restaurants in the area but that's about it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Overall this hotel was quite nice, no complaints.

- Free breakfast included - you had a choice of a full american breakfast, Starbucks coffee, oatmeal, fruits, yogurt, etc...
- Rooms seem to be recently refurbished and are modern.
- Restaurants within walking distance (Panera, Starbucks...)
- Market available 24/7 for snacks, food, etc..
- Free high speed wired Internet with cables in the room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was the shabbiest Courtyard I have been to. The room was small and needed a facelift. The only thing that wasn't charged was the coffee in the lobby. There was coffee in the room. One single bag of caf and one of decaf. One unit of sugar and cream. Good thing the hubby doesn.t drink coffee, he would have been out of luck. I think this one is running on some type of austerity program. Even though the rooms were sold out there was only one person cleaning the rooms (no english spoken there!) the price was low, and it showed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while traveling to and from concerts at Merriweather Post Pavilion. We arrived early and had no problems checking in. Like with other hotels, we had put in requests ahead of time for a high floor and no-feather/down pillows. We were surprised when the young man at the front desk asked if we'd be okay with the first floor?! We reminded him we requested a high floor, so he found a room for us on the fourth floor. We needed to wait a few minutes so they could make sure the pillows were changed. We ordered and a had Starbucks in the lobby/cafe while we waited. The little booths with their own private TV's are a nice touch. Unfortunately the hotel was having problems with their microwave system while we were there, so the regular breakfast available at the cafe and things like complimentary coffee were unavailable. If this were not the case, we would have enjoyed our stay that much more. The staff in the hotel was, however, top notch. Everyone from maids, to servicemen to the front desk staff greeted us everytime! As far as the room, we recently stayed in a Courtyard in upstate New York. While the layout/decor of this Courtyard was similar it was a little disappointing. The bathroom had very dim lighting and the door would not remain open by itself. The vanity was outside of the bathroom, and while the inside of the bathroom was spacious, there was no where to put things like clothes, beauty supplies, etc. so you had to run in and out to get things you needed. There was a fridge, but no microwave and the fridge itself didn't seem to be operating 100%. The A/C in the room was on full blast, but the hallways always seemed to be that much cooler. The flat screen TV that pulls out is great. We also had a nice view of the courtyard. We were at the end of a hall, next to an electrical room and close to the elevator, but it was quiet. So, all in all a good trip. We should also mention food at the Stanford Grill (walking distance next door to the hotel) is delicious although a little pricey. This might not be rated the #1 Courtyard, but it's still a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: ask for high floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Last year my wife and I stayed here when visiting our son and daughter in law that also lives in Columbia MD. We had a good experience last time so we decided to return on our recent visit. Driving from Michigan we arrived around 6:00. What made our check in really nice was the manager, a young man that welcomed us back and asked if he could show us the recent upgrades. He was genuinely proud of the new bistro and amenities and took great care to explain everything. I sort of felt like I was a family member and he was showing off his new home. The hotel was nice before but now it is outstanding and the staff remains warm and friendly. We will defiantly stay here on our next visit and would encourage other travelers to give then a try.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia? Share your experiences!