“Super Hotel Staff!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Rochester, NY
“Super Hotel Staff!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

The service I experienced at the hotel was outstanding. I generally stay at Marriott's, but was booked to stay at this Hilton for this particular business trip. I was pleasantly suprised by the comfortable surroundings, the super nice hotel staff, the large excercise room (which I used) and the really cool pool area.

This hotel may be mature, but certainly an original, which I really loved. As a travelling business person, as are many of the people staying at the hotel, the bar/restaurant area is oustanding. The bar area somewhat reminded me of Cheers, with its ambiance and friendlinesss. Within a half hour of my sitting down at the bar, the bartender had everyone talking to each other. Definitely helped pass the time with pleasure.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Columbia on Business or Leisure. Great pool for the kids!!! I will be staying here when I travel to Columbia.

I will also ask my AA to check Hilton Hotels as an option for my travels because of my experience here with the kind staff.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

The entire staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable, especially the bed.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

This is a decent hotel if you are into Hilton products. I have stayed here a couple of times, but my trips to Columbia are usually centered around the Sheraton. At the Hilton, no one remembers you, and it is like pulling teeth to even get the basic level of service. Sheraton, and most Starwood brands seem to invest more in training their employees to serve the customer. At Hilton(this one especially), it feels like you are just a room number. The rooms are OK, but not great and the restaurant leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The Sheraton is right down the road and much better in service, food and facilities.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

I stayed at the Columbia Hilton for a quiet valentine's weekend and it was perfect for the occasion. the hotel is located off the beaten path but very close to a plethora of restaurants and shopping. It's great if you want to get away with your loved loves with no outside distractions. For that reason, I loved it. The checkin was super fast and check out is even faster. You don't have to actually visit the desk. Housekeeping leaves the bill under your door and you just leave your keys in the room. Easy as that. Eat at Morgans... its good food and reasonably priced for a steakhouse. the indoor pool and hot tub are clean and not crowded. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Lexington KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

We stayed at the Hilton Columbia 4 nights in September for our daughter's wedding. Her reception & accomodations were at this hotel.

Room was clean. The wastebaskets weren't emptied on our first day but were emptied the next. I'm not sure the room thermostat worked but we were comfortable enough. We called for extra towels & they came promptly.

Room service food was tasty & promptly delivered.

Very clean & well appointed fitness center with up-to-date treadmills & free water & granola bars.

Breakfast buffet had variety of food & attentive staff. $14 seems a little pricey but costs less than the breakfast buffets in the hotels in my hometown.

Front desk could have used another staff person during the Friday and Saturday daytime shifts as there always seemed to be a waiting line of 1 or 2 guests when I was there. (I think there were 3 wedding parties staying at the hotel that weekend.) The front desk lady was very courteous to each guest & gave each one her fullest attention.

My only responsibility with Catering was to organize a Meet & Greet. The hotel had a change in Event Sales Staff between the time I reserved & the date of the event. Each sales staff person was easy to work with. The Meet & Greet went smoothly. Catering staff was attentive.

From a guest's point of view, the wedding reception went very well from the butlered hor d'oerves in the atrium, to the open bar, to the dinner, to the cake cutting.

I had a glimpse of the bridal suite. Very roomy.

The location of the hotel is great if you have a car. It is located in a woodsy suburban cul de sac which gives you a feeling of entering a peaceful refuge when you arrive.

After reading the complaints posted earlier, I was on the lookout for poor housekeeping, smelly room, slow elevator, tired decor, thin walls. None of that materialized & I had a very good stay.

• Liked — Peaceful, refuge-like location, yet close to shopping mall
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lexington KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

Bed was comfy, room was a bit small for the price.
Skip the restaurant buffet, it's not worth it.
Bottom line, I would not stay here again unless, like this time, I were attending a function at the hotel. It is out of the way and not well connected, the only way to get into the city was to take a $60 cab ride to a metro station on the north side of DC

A friend had her wedding in the area and the reception and accommodations were at the Hilton Columbia. The place is nice, set back in a little business park. We stayed on a room on the outside of the hotel (as opposed to one on the inside where the windows face the atrium of the hotel where there are functions often). The bed was great and the room was small but comfortable.
The brunch buffet at the restaurant was certainly NOT worth $25. They had oysters on the half-shell and cocktail shrimp, both of which were not fresh and tasted terrible, I mean, seriously the absolute worst shrimp or oysters I have every had. So if you're thinking of doing the buffet for that, which I was, skip it! The rest of the food was definitely decent but unless you can eat a pound of smoked salmon and cream cheese, it is not worth 25 bucks.

• Liked — Group rate was good
  • Disliked — Location & price/quality of food in the restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

My wife and I had a very pleasant five night stay at the Hilton there in beautiful Columbia. The hotel is tucked away in a wooded area that is peaceful. Early morning swim meant no one else was in the clean and well chorinated pool. Early morning buffet was extensive and tasty;and I must say that the waiters were exceptional in their attentiveness and caring for us each morning. I noticed an air of friendliness among all of the staff with each person saying hello and wishing us a good day. That piece of kindness was a noticeable bonus of our entire stay.

Our suite was spacious and well appointed. Having been a frequent hotel visitor, I always notice bathrooms and housekeeping details. This hotel provided clean and well kept bathrooms and the rooms also were cleaned nicely each day.

We will return for sure.

• Liked — Spaciousness of suite
  • Disliked — cannot think of any
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia? Share your experiences!