“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Cleveland, United States
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Except for a problem cause my own carelessness, this was probably one of the best hotel stays I've had in the last 3 years. After a 6 hour drive on Friday, we arrived at 2am Saturday morning and changed our reservation from one to two "Double Queen" adjoining rooms...warm cookies were a pleasant surprise. There was ample parking with several luggage carts. Except for a poor housekeeper (just a bad apple), the service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Gary_Gustafson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Victor S,
I am sorry for your poor housekeeping experience. I have been working with the Executive Housekeeper to change that behavior so it never happens again. I do appreciate the kind words about the hotel. We are striving for excellent service everyday and for every guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My Conference Manager Betty Akcam is the finest Planner I have ever worked with! I've have hosted/planned large events for over 20 years and she is the best! From our first meeting to discuss concept, Betty was warm and so accommodating. She worked seamlessly with all the departments involved in our event (Rooms, Audio, Catering). It was clear she was fully invested in the success of my event. She was full of inventive ways to use the space and our event last weekend has been getting raves! Betty was responsive to every call and every email which eliminated my anxiety. We made a few changes shortly before the event which required a new walk through with my Team and she handled it in a matter of minutes! Doubletree by Hilton, you have a gem in Betty Akcam and I hope you know it! We are already planning a holiday party and choosing dates for next year's Conference. The hotel has been recently renovated and the decor is super sharp! It will impress your guests as they enter and are offered a warm chocolate chip cookie, great space to hook up lap tops, have informal meetings or enjoy friends! Nice touch Doubletree! The banquet linens, the chairs and choice of contemporary centerpieces saved me a ton of money in rentals because theirs are so nice. The hotel is located close to everything (restaurants, airport, designer and discount shopping) but is off of a main road so it is wonderfully quiet. The rooms are beautifully decorated and appointed. One of our guest rooms was a Jr. Suite which was huge. It was perfect to work in because we had to assemble swag bags and other items and we were able to store them. The living room had a sleep sofa, it's own huge flat screen TV and a dresser. It closes off from the rest of the room which is great for privacy and storage. Facilities had every thing set up the night before so it was perfect for our very early set up. At the Front Desk I want to make sure to mention Shawn and Barry who were so warm and helpful to myself and our out-of-town guests! Carmen (one of our Banquet Servers) was fabulous and very helpful especially some of our elderly guests who couldn't maneuver the Buffet as well. Every staff member we encountered was attentive and helpful including Barry in Engineering who helped us out tremendously with a little "middle of the night" shower issue. Thank you Betty and Doubletree by Hilton! We will see you in a couple of months!

Room Tip: Loved the Jr. Suite for the space especially when traveling with more than two. The Double Room was...
Dear TravelNessity,
Awesome review and thanks for taking the time to write such kind words. Betty is very good at what she does and we are happy everyday she is here with us. I look forward to your return very soon. Again, thank you.
Staten Island, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

As a HHonors member, my family and I were only looking for a Hilton hotel near Centennial Park in Ellicot City, for a triathlon race. The hotel rooms were larger than any standard room i've stayed in! Lobby and facility revamped and an excellent overall value for the money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Paul G,
I appreciate your review of my hotel. I hope you did well in the triathlon and hope to see you back next year.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The staff varied. Some knowledgeable and some not so with it. The room was nice except for no light in the closet and the room light didn't light it. The hotel restaurant was terrible which made the experience not so good. Otherwise, would have liked it fine except for the awful pillows.

Dear 1monkeyils,
Thank you for your review. We are working on lighting options for the closet and hope to have something in place very soon. Since your review, I have made drastic changes to the restaurant personnel and hope you will try us again in the future.
New Market, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel was fine and the staff for the hotel was fine also, but the restaurant do not even bother just bypass that part all together. The staff had no personality the food was just bad, it took over a hour for two cobb salads and when they came out they were wrong who messes up a cobb salad.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of my hotel. I appreciate the feedback on my restaurant. We did not have a good day that day. With your feedback, I can make the restaurant a much better place to eat in the future. Again, thank you.
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Staying at this hotel in Columbia,Md will give you the best experience ever. It has everything you would want on your stay. The rooms have plenty of room, they are clean, smell good and the beds are terrific. The fitness room has dumbbells that allow for a great workout. The pool and hottub area is clean and relaxing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Gary_Gustafson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear parrish775,
Thank you so much for your second review of the hotel. Everyone at the hotel appreciates your kind words and will work hard everyday to continue to try and be the best hotel in the area. Again, thank you.
Russellville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hotel was very clean... quiet. My room was a nice large room with a king size bed. Nice big bathroom and clean!
If you have a car to get around - it is 5 minutes from a nice mall with a good selection of places to eat. If you don't have transportation the hotel does have a shuttle that will take you to that mall anytime up until 9PM.
Other wise you're out of luck there is nothing close it sets back off the road in an odd location.

The hotel counter employees were super nice and super efficient with the check in and any questions that were needed. I was handed a nice warm cookie as I got checked in.

I arrived Thursday night October 3rd 2013 it was deserted. I went to dinner in the hotel restaurant since I did not have a car and my fellow business partners were not here yet. I and 4 other people were the only ones in the place. I ordered the grilled salmon and rice with vegetables. I took two bites of the fish and one of the rice and could not put any more in my mouth. It had to have been the nastiest food I have ever had in front of me. The rice was clumped together like it was fried or been sitting for a while and had a terrible smell.
The fish... don't know can't describe it - and how do you mess up squash? The tea tasted old. $41 meal - and she came to take my plate she said are you done... she did not ask ONE question why I did not eat and I was to tired and to pissed to say anything.

October 4th I went down to eat my breakfast since it looked like a nice buffet. I got a small serving of watermelon, cantaloupe and a muffin that looks like it came straight out of a wal mart deli box - $14

The hotel is up on a hill and not located close to any where that can be walked too for lunch and once our business conference let out for an hour and a half lunch. We decided to get a salad there at the hotel. After sitting and waiting for 15 mins to get a drink and 30 minutes for a salad with a total of 20 people in the place to eat. She brought the wrong salad. She took the plates and came back 10 mins later with the correct food and a squishy salad with the wrong salad dressing. We were late returning to our meeting that was IN the hotel.

Our speaker came to the restaurant to get a small sandwich and water and she was told (standing at the registered and could see in) - they were really busy right now it would be a little while before they could fit it.

That was the last meal we tried to eat in the hotel. The women should be fired or seriously looked at how she is running the only food supply in the building. #disgusting food #terrible service. The food looks like it came straight out of box and warmed it is not cooked under that roof.

The bar is friendly - clean and good service. They get the food from the same supply so don't eat the food drink the beer and chat with the bartender.

Other than the terrible food service - the hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable. It is not a place I wish to ever return too. We all shared that with our business manager.

This trip should refund the food cost or give me my Hilton points for the stay plus a free day to make up for the food.

Room Tip: As long as you need a room I think they are all a good size - go out to eat
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gary_Gustafson, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear AngelaMBrooks,
Thank you for the kind words about the sleeping rooms. I appreciate that you took the time to write a detailed review of your entire stay. I have already had long conversations with my Director of Food and Beverage and we have made major changes in our culinary staff based on your experience. Please accept my apologies for your time spent at my hotel. My F&B program will be better going forward, because you took the time to give me your honest feedback. Thank you and please give us another try the next time you are in the area.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia? Share your experiences!