“I LOVE Hanamura!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Takeout
columbia, md
“I LOVE Hanamura!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hanamura is my favorite sushi in the area. I have been going there for years. The service is always excellent, as is the food. I usually order a bento box with a roll. I have never had a bad meal here. The miso soup is perfect! I can't say enough about how much I enjoy dining here!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

72% Recommend
Odenton, Maryland
“Great Place To Dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We love this place. They may have the best sushi in this area. Their service is the best. It's a small establishment so I wouldn't recommend it for parties, but if you are on a first date it would be a great place to go. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2011
Fort Huachuca, Arizona
“Lecker!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Hat richtig gut geschmeckt und die Portionen waren nicht zu groß oder zu klein. Wer Seafood liebt sollte unbedingt die Lobster Roll (mit Soße) probieren!
Sehr interessant waren die mit Eis gefüllten Reiskuchen zum Dessert. Erdbeer war echt lecker.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbia, MD
“An average sushi spot in Columbia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Maybe I'm picky. Maybe. But if you're going to pay for food, then I suppose being picky is OK. I've eaten at Hanamura at least a dozen times, so I think I've got a pretty good feel as to what this restaurant offers.

What's good about Hanamura? Well, it's located in a bit of a strip mall tucked away nearby most everything in Columbia off major routes like 175 and 95 and Snowden River Parkway, so it's certainly close to most everything/accessible. It's got a very nice waitstaff who are fairly attentive. It's got a decent menu. It's open 7 days a week and until 10:30pm on Friday/Saturdays (9:30 other days).

What's not so good about Hanamura - or better said, what makes it simply average? The sushi for starters. It's not the freshest ever. My "taste test" is tuna (I buy tuna steaks regularly from a local fish market - and I know what fresh tuna is and isn't). If a sushi place doesn't serve significantly and consistently fresh, buttery tuna rolls - it's likely that the rest of their sushi offerings are going to be about the same. This is the case with Hanamura. It's not that their sushi is 'bad' - it's just average. Depending on the visit, you may get exceptionally fresh tuna, or you may get average tuna. I think you should always get better than average tuna rolls at a sushi place as a rule.

You can get average sushi anywhere...and likely pay the same for it, too. In fact, if you compare sushi prices between Sushi Sono (about 5-10 minutes closer to "downtown Columbia"), a MUCH better quality sushi place IMO - they are not much different. I would rather pay a little more and get better quality food. But hey - that's me. The Hanamura "specialty roll" selection is also pretty much average to woeful in regards to their offerings.

For example, let's look at some standard sushi fare and do a price comparison:

Hanamura maki tuna roll: $3.95
Sushi Sono maki tuna roll: $5.00

Hanamura maki California roll: $4.25
Sushi Sono maki California roll: $4.50

Hanamura maki shrimp tempura roll: $5.95
Sushi Sono maki shrimp tempura roll: $4.50

Enough said?

The decor is also ho-hum to downright tacky. The rest of the menu is pretty slim pickings and not very enticing - though why you'd go to a sushi restaurant to order something other than sushi is beyond me. And the waitstaff, though as mentioned prior - are friendly - they are not overly dedicated to their jobs by any means, meaning the level of attentiveness is fair but not great. It is occasionally very busy - so you might not get a table (in which case, there is a great restaurant next door in Noodles Corner - but it's not a sushi joint).

Overall - it's not a horrible place to get sushi by any means. But you can certainly do better and for not too much more coming out of your pocket...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Loved their Sushi!! Very good vegetarian choices!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I really loved Sushi here! Everybody in my group(all vegetarian) enjoyed the food. We had Healthi Maki, Cucumber and Avocado rolls, Vegetable rolls and Fried Vegetable Maki and all of them were excellant! They were fresh and tasty. We also had stir fried noodles which were superb. And not to forget, their sweet iced tea was very nice - felt like freshly made. It was Sunday afternoon. We had a sweet and helpful lady serving us.The ambience was good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere