“great place for wine and food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Iron Bridge Wine Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 220 restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“great place for wine and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We ate dinner on a Thursday evening and had no corking fee so we had a wonderful wine for a very reasonable price. the food was great with nice portion sizes. the service was attentive without being overbearing. overall this was a wonderful experience

• Visited August 2013

79% Recommend
Rockville, Maryland
“As good as they say, despite a couple of glitches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I live in MD but rarely have eaten in Columbia and never heard of Iron Bridge before. But my husband found it and made a reservation there so we went on a weeknight for dinner. Totally worth it! I was surprised how full it was on a Tuesday but now I see why. The staff handled the crowds expertly. There did not seem to be a hostess, the guy who became our server was also the one who greeted and seated us. He had a low key style while still being very attentive and knowledgeable. Other staff we encountered were equally competent. It's basically two modest-sized rooms, but very nice decor. You could be comfortable there in shorts or business attire, and we saw both. We enjoyed the "couch table" which was different than we have ever had at a restaurant! The menu is midsized but we were satisfied with the range of options. For dinner it's mainly salad, steak, seafood. And of course, the wine! My husband ordered a flight with dinner and ended up buying a case to go! I had the daily sangria. There were a few service problems despite my previous comments on the quality of staff. We both asked for our meat better done and neither request was honored. This is a common problem at fine-dining places, but unfortunately I literally cannot eat anything rare. We were clear in our request and I wish it had been honored, probably I should have sent mine back accordingly but I did not this time. Next time I would. Also we had to ask for bread - this is the 2nd time in a week this has happened to me at an otherwise good place. Is that the new thing?? Finally when I ordered the sangria the server didn't point out it would be white wine. I should have asked, but, I think of sangria as defaulting to red so it would have been helpful to be warned on this point. Total with wine, tax, tip was just over $100 so it was reasonable but certainly not "cheap" to my standards. I do hope to return some day soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
IBWC-MD, General Manager at Iron Bridge Wine Company, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear MN_on_the_road,

First, thanks for taking the time to write a review. I was very pleased to see a “Five” rating in your review but I wanted to take a moment to address some of the glitches you mentioned in your review.

Honestly I am not sure why your request for a steak cooked the way you wanted went unheeded and I apologize for that. We always want our guests to receive food cooked to their satisfaction. In the future please do not hesitate to let us know and we will correct it immediately. As far as bread service you should not have had to ask for it. It should have been delivered to your table after your server took your order.

Here at The Bridge we take guests feedback very seriously as it is one of the only ways we can hope to improve our guest experience. I will use these issues when talking with my staff in the days ahead.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know where we excelled and also where we missed the mark. We do hope to see you again soon.

Regards,
Vince Culotta
The Iron Bridge Wine Co.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best spot out in the county! Paradise for wine lovers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Seriously epic wine selection, corkage fee is super low. Constantly changing seasonal menu. They also offer great incentives like free entrees on your half birthday or anniversary celebration. Through dating, engagement and being married this continues to be one my husband and my favorite spots. The lamb and duck are alway perfect, and never pass up the creme brûlée! Even if you're full! Service is always top notch, above and beyond!

“Cheap and tasty.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were lured in with a $38 3-course deal. And what amazing value!
I personally had the tuna tartar, duck breast and creme brulee. The tuna was very tasty, the combination was very well put together and presented, the only thing I didn't like was the cilantro (because I don't like cilantro, it might fit well together) and it was a little too spicy. It beat the taste of the lovely tuna down a bit.
The duck however was a little bit less tasty, I ordered it medium-rare but it was very chewy and it was seared too hot so the outside was burnt. The combination was well put together. Fig compote was delish.
The vanilla creme brulee was the best I've ever eaten, it was just SO good. I'd say it's worth going out there only for the brulee! It was a bit heavy after all the other food, but that's to be expected. Portions were a little large for me, but I'm small. :-)
The location is great, you really feel outside. Around the restaurant were farms, yet you were still very close to everything. Short drive from the highway.
It was however, VERY loud. I could often not hear the waitress, or she couldn't hear me. I could not converse without raising my voice, which was annoying.
Service was good, our waitress was very nice and was around when you needed her. The food took a little longer to arrive than I'm used to. But the restaurant was full.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Hidden Gem in Columbia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

After a long day at work I searched for a place to "wine" down and I found it at the Iron Bridge Wine Company. I decided to take both of my parents for a glass of wine and it turned in a wine tasting flight and dinner for all of us. It was also a pleasant surprise to find out that it was also the beginning of restaurant week. I called to see if reservations were need at 4 for the same day and was told that the 1st available table was not until 8:45pm. This would have turned most people away for for me it meant this place was a good spot, especially if they are that busy on a Wednesday evening. The hostess Summer mentioned we could try and sit at the bar as it was first come 1st served and it was a great suggestion. We got there just as they seated a large group for dinner. Our bartender Jeanine was AMAZING she really gave my mom a lesson on wine after her flight of champagne and my dad enjoyed a flight of California reds.

My mom ordered the pork loin and and Jeanine suggested three different wines that she could possibly pair with her main course for my mom and poured a taste of each which she appreciated and was able to learn about how to pair wine with a chiplote BBQ pork loin. She selected a Zin and loved it! My dad ordered the duck and he thought it was amazing as well and paired it with a wine from Chile. The dessert was also amazing between the trio of sorbet, cinnamon & vanilla bread pudding and vanilla and chocolate creme brulee (there were 3 of us)they were all outstanding. If you enjoy wine and good food this is a great place to go and have a nice evening. This a nice an quaint location and even with the restaurant being and sitting at the bar we were able to have great conversation with no noise interruptions. My parents are hooked and talk about being regulars. Kudos to the staff as they did an amazing job.

HINT. If you like to sit at the bar and relax request table 34 (in advance), this is only high top stand alone table with four seats in the corner by the bar and you have a great view of the bar and dining area as well as the wine selection.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere