“Unique and quite delicious” 4 of 5 stars

(410) 964-9999
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Petit Louis Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 204 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Bristol, Virginia
“Unique and quite delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The four of us enjoyed dinner outside and ordered many different offerings on the menu. Everything was delicious: Tuna Niciose Salad, Pommes Frittes, trout almondine, Mushrooms du jour, escargot, and an incredibly delicious ice cream sundae du jour. The bread was delicious also and the service quite competent. Portions were generous. The only issue was the pretentious serving of coffee with the French press and an hourglass to "time" the pressing. My husband said the coffee was good but not any better then any other place that prides itself on having good coffee. This is certainly not a "deal-breaker' and we all agreed we would look forward to dinner again in this lovely atmosphere.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Columbia, MD
“Loud with decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We ate dinner for the first time at Petit Louis last night. I was looking forward to the evening since we both love French food and I had looked in at the restaurant another time when we were in the area and it looked like it had a nice atmosphere. We were seated immediately (we had a reservation) and the service was quite good throughout the meal. My husband had the French onion soup, which he thought was fine but not anything special. I had the aubergine croquante, which I enjoyed, For the plat principal, my husband had a dish with chicken and rataouille, which was fine and I had a chicken confit salad, which was fine also. I wasn't impressed by the food, and was disappointed by the noise level in the restaurant. I had to talk very loudly to be heard by him, which is hardly romantic. I will likely try the restaurant again for lunch, and perhaps some day again for dinner if I can sit outside and enjoy the view and hear my dinner companion.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
York, PA
“Why Give Out Prix Fixe Menus to 4 Yet Only Have One Entre Left?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We were looking forward to going to a branch of a good restaurant we had been to in Baltimore a few years ago. To add to the excitement, it was Bastille Day! We just knew they'd have something good planned. We walked in to an empty restaurant at 1PM. Only 3 tables with patrons; one full outside (ok it was hot & steamy that afternoon). The waiter went through a whole rather scripted boring description of everything as though we had never eaten anything French. To make matters worse, when we tried to order the Prix Fixe Menu when he stated came with half off wines, we were told there was only one order left. OK, one of us will have the duck. Sorry but we're out of it too. How to order wine when one has lamb, one has fish, etc? By the glass. They lost all sorts of good will and revenues even though the waiter was trying to do the best he could. Here's a news flash to restauranteurs: Don't ask your servers to talk down to the guests and explain what confit is (we had it the night before) or what chanterelles are (ditto). I have a Food Page and took a photo of the rather disappointing ordinary but decent food. Kind of a waste of a day other than the amusement of the busboy in the fake moustache (why?). They managed to take an elegant restaurant design and make it a tacky.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland!
“Lake setting can't make up for mediocrity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have to admit, I'm a bit over the Cindy Wolf restaurants. This place put the nail in the coffin. They all (Cinghiale, Charleston, Petit Louis) have a nice ambiance, and good concepts-- but I'm afraid the service and food always fall short. We came here for the 4th of July evening with a reservation. Seated outside by the manager which was nice. Food was lackluster. Wine list was good. We had been sitting there for exactly 55 minutes, had a five course meal, finishing our drinks, and one of the hosts told us we needed to finish our drinks fast so they could seat the next party. I thought that was a bit obnoxious. We hadn't come close to overstaying or just taking up a table. We had JUST paid the check and were sipping the last of our drinks. it's this type of stuff that makes you lose customers.They told us we were welcome to go inside and finish them at the bar. Still not good enough. People will come here because they want to feel like they are going to an upscale restaurant in suburbia. I won't make the same mistake twice!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
columbia, maryland
“A bit too full of themselves....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This site has been the failure of many restaurants in Columbia. We had heard that it was a branch of a good French restaurant in Baltimore and decided to try it. In all, felt it was overpriced and good, but not as good as they seem to think they are. For example, I had salmon accompanied by asparagus. On the menu they make a big deal of extolling their local suppliers, however the asparagus was not as flavorful as the ones we have grown in our backyard.
It's also not the sort of place I would drop into on the spur of the moment..seems a bit too serious.
We'll see if they make it and can overcome the curse of the location.

• Visited May 2014