“Thrilled to have Petit Louis in Columbia” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Maryland
“Thrilled to have Petit Louis in Columbia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We've travelled many times to the original location in Roland Park & it's marvelous to have this fine bistro nearby. Visited twice ( lunch & dinner) & enjoyed professional servers, quality choices, and a lovely ambience.

Visited March 2014

Columbia, Maryland
“New restaurant, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Despite reservations, we were 30 min late being seated. The bartender was entertaining enough, and provided some excellent cocktails as we waited. We were already familiar with the first Petit Louis Bistro in Baltimore, and found this restaurant had a very similar menu - a French-bistro style of dining with a French classics, such as cassoulet or coq au vin.

We're local to this restaurant. I'm looking forward to nice weather, and a table for two by the lakeside.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Clarksville, Maryland
“Poor service, mediocre food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had dinner at Petite Louis and it was a disappointment. We arrived on time for our reservation but had to wait about 20 minutes or so. The mussel appetizer was just OK. The special scalloped potatoes were a joke - a paltry serving of thinly sliced greasy potatoes (maybe a quarter of a potato altogether) - were not special. The fish was so so. But the worst was the service. Our server forgot about us. Had to ask for utensils. Drink sat empty - nobody asked if I wanted another. Had to track down the server to get the check after a long wait. If you think this will be anything like a good french bistro unfortunately you'll be disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Excellent new restaurant in Columbia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We've been to dinner (February) - excellent food - and then again for Sunday brunch (March). The food at dinner was excellent! It's definitely upscale bistro! My husband had the duck confit and declared it fantastic. He also had the pate maison, which was wonderful, and I ordered it for brunch when we returned. Their salads are also excellent. The mussels were also excellent. Our daughter ordered the steak frites for brunch and finished it - which she never does - and declared it excellent. Two people ordered the omelette and declared it very good. Another daughter had a Croque Monsieur - and loved it. For dessert, I had the sorbet at dinner, and wanted petit fours at brunch but they were out. Three of us ordered expressos and we could not drink them - it was very bitter and full of grounds, and we all like our coffee strong, including my French husband. We're pleased that we now have another great restaurant in the area. They definitely have the menu down, and it looks like they are working hard on the wait staff training still. We've had excellent service, and so-so service, so I'd say it is still a bit inconsistent - but I'm sure they will work the kinks out soon. We loved the wine selection and found it to be sufficiently extensive with a nice price range for all occasions. The atmosphere is elegant casual, and very warm and welcoming! The prices were reasonable.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Well done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Petite Louis is a surprise. Elegant dining is now in Columbia, Maryland. The staff was attentive and knowledgeable. My wife and I shared the green salad and it was very good with a nice vinaigrette. I chose the Trout Almondine and my wife chose the salmon. The trout was a very nice piece of fish, and since we came late for lunch I was surprised to get such a nice filet. It was classic French Trout Almondine with fresh ingredients, as we all expect these days. My wife loved the salmon and made quick work of it. She said that the sauce was wonderful. For desert my wife chose the creme Brulee, which is British but still a very nice desert. It was much bigger than most, and truly wonderful. I wanted the Pain au Chocolat, but those seem to go early in any French restaurant, so I settled for a black tea, and my wife the cafe au lait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere