“Shrek The Musical is hilarious!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #29 of 223 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Buffet
Gambrills, Maryland
“Shrek The Musical is hilarious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I saw the matinee performance of Shrek The Musical today and I thought it was great!!!! The food was a brunch buffet and a salad bar and it was mediocre. Our server was actually Fiona and she did a great job. The play itself was good and it had some cool effects like the dragon! Lord Farquaad was hilarious!!!!! We got to take pictures after the show with Shrek and Pinocchio which I thought was nice. Shrek is a play that should not be missed!!!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Spamalot - Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I'd been wanting to visit Toby's ever since spotting the one in Baltimore (closed at this time) and discovered this one in Columbia when looking at their website. Top notch shows are offered with the cast members doubling as servers. They all should be on Broadway! The buffet is extensive (we went back for seconds) dessert was delightful and our server was fabulous. What fun watching him perform. They really work hard to provide an excellent all around experience. We laughed so hard (be warned, this show is not for the prudish!) and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. If you are celebrating a special occasion, they will even give a shout-out before the show begins. I became a season subscriber and will definitely be going again - all the way from Philadelphia!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“Miracle on 34th Street!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Was invited by a friend to Toby's to celebrate her birthday. The production was Miracle on 34th Street. Was surprised that the place was packed. I would rate the show as 4 stars with the wait staff as the actors and actresses. The food was a total miss for me the service was good as well as the production. You can feel the passion as they played their part.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gambrills, Maryland
“Miracle on 34th Street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from seeing a production of Miracle On 34th Street at Toby's in Columbia.
It was a 4 star show at it's best. This is the 1st time I have seen kids in live theatre. The little girl who played Susan (Mara Wilson and Natalie Wood's character from the 2 films) did a fantastic job. The food was mediocre but the specialty drinks were so amazing! I will be auditioning for a role in Mary Poppins next year! Medieval Times is much much better!

Visited November 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Experience total commitment!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We've been going to Toby's for most of its thirty-five years in operation. We've never experienced a poor performance, but the commitment of the entire cast to this production of "Les Mis" is far beyond any reasonable expectation or our experience. This theatre is a COMPANY, i.e., almost every actor onstage has performed -- and usually acted in starring roles -- in multiple productions. We heard the quality of their voices, saw the artistry of their acting, and FELT the commitment of their passion on the part of every member, from the lead roles down to each member of the chorus. In several cases, we have remembered supporting actors from their starring roles in past productions.

Toby's is an intimate experience. By intimate, I don't mean limited production. It didn't matter which side of the barricade you were sitting on, you were in the center, the very heart, of the action. When you can see the concentration on their faces, the focus in their eyes, witness the conviction of the interplay among the entire cast, you know the thrill of live theatre that is more immediate and therefore electric than even a play on Broadway. All of the treasured scenes and emotional moments from every other performance of "Les Mis" I've seen were integrated into this production, and I am still shaking my head at their achievement. Toby Orenstein and David Hopkins showed impressive creativity and spent some real money on the elaborate staging for this production!

I mention the "dinner" part of this theater last because it IS good, but not "one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant" as this site asks. The salad bar is good, the cheeses and salads at the beginning of the dinner line also good. I personally like the seasonings of the vegetable dishes leading up to the beef, chicken, pork and seafood entrees. I also love the steamship beef which always has portions that are (medium) rare to my taste. Capping off the meal with their dessert and house drink not only sweetens the deal but gives my wife and I another pair of Toby's glasses to replace the older ones that have become scratched, chipped and shattered from their too-frequent use over time.

I've never been to the Baltimore venue; we like the relatively light traffic between our home and the theatre, and I've heard that the Columbia venue is more in the round. After this performance, I can't imagine any future production topping this one, but I'm willing to give them a chance as long as they continue to welcome us back to Columbia MD.

• Visited October 2013