“Graduation Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Attica, IN
“Graduation Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Wonderful evening on the porch. Graduation dinner with granddaughter, 9 guests and had great service. The food was very good but a little expensive. Maybe not for Maryland but expensive for Floridians. Had pan broiled veal with morel mushroom reduction, Mashed potatoes, green beans and a carrot--delicious,
Would go back again

• Visited May 2014

Columbia, Maryland
“Always Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food here is inspiring - always fantastic. Whether I'm entertaining my Board of Directors or having a romantic evening for two, Richard and his wonderful staff make it a wonderful experience.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbia, MD
“Enjoyed a lovely lunch at King's Contrivance.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Dined on the enclosed porch. The setting is beautiful, the service impeccable , and the food is excellent.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Go elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I cannot recommend this restaurant. It has a pleasant ambiance and setting in an old mansion style house, and has been in business for some decades. I have eaten there in the past, when it was a charmingly akin to the “Faulty Towers” genre. More recently I have dined there three times. On the first occasion I had a pleasant evening. The food, although a tad overpriced, was reasonable although by no means of great quality, and the wines (aided by a 50% discount promotion) enjoyable. The second occasion likewise, food OK, but not in any way outstanding, and the ambiance pleasant. However, the last recent occasion, when something occurred that tested the mettle of the establishment, was a total and somewhat unpleasant disaster. After a slightly long wait for our entrées, food for our table for four was served. So far OK. Unfortunately my dish, a seafood pasta, was swimming in a broth that was grossly over salted (and I mean super grossly). I debated whether to endure and say nothing (it was a birthday dinner with my wife and daughter and I did not want to mar it), but I realized that if I consumed the dish I would be sick -- it was so excessively salty and inedible. Therefore I had to get the attention of the waitress, explain why, and order a substitute. Normally when this sort of thing happens, apologies are proffered, and the manager comes up and to help ensure that their customer is taken care of, and a new dish quickly rushed through. This was not the case here, but so what. Unfortunately I waited, waited, and waited, finally enquired as to the status of the order in case we had been forgotten about, --the wait was so long that a sub-waitress on seeing three finished plates, had attempted to remove my unused place setting. Eventually after about 30 minutes, the substitute dish was served. Of course in the meantime the rest of my party had munched up their food while I watched, and I was then left to gobble up mine fast, they having long finished theirs This awkwardness put a bit of a pall on the evening, and the impression was given that we were being perhaps “punished” for daring to ask for a dish change. We decided skip coffee and deserts and to call it quits as time was marching on. We requested the check, paid it (I gave a normal tip to the waitress, as I did not ascribe the delay to be necessarily her fault). However no apology was given, no manager appeared at our table, or when we left, or was at the door to ask if all was well. That was that. On reflection I few days later, I felt a little miffed, and called the restaurant and spoke to someone who identified himself as a manager. He was very charming and pleasant, said that he was very sorry about all of this, it was not normal etc., and he would research into what went wrong. I did not solicit it, but he said he would like to refund the cost of the offending dish as a courtesy, and would call me back. However some weeks have passed, and no call or action on the part of the restaurant has occurred. All in all this does not make for a good impression, and reflects badly. This restaurant's rating (7th in the area) and “Certificate of excellence” must be regarded as being based on somewhat shaky grounds. If you are reading this while selecting a reasonable place to dine in Columbia, I would go for the number 1 rated, and skip this one as being rather hit and miss at best.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Princeton, New Jersey
“Great place for a private party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great menu choices for a group, a pretty setting and a private room by the bar makes an excellent place to have a private party. The filet was delicious, desserts a great treat, and the service was wonderful. The only real negative: pasta was overcooked. Service was very good; everyone there was happy to help us.

• Visited May 2014