“Dining in a mansion” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Troy, Michigan, USA
“Dining in a mansion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

600 miles from home, I met up with a neighbor and we headed to the King's Contrivance for dinner. Since we were looking to catch up and talk a while, this place was perfect. They had a decent selection of seafood and an equally good selection of non-seafood, an extensive list of wines and, this week, they were participating with Restaurant Week in the region. So for very little $$ I had a 4~5 star meal, and it was terrific.

Visited July 2013

Mc Lean
“Very nice dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is one of those restaurants where it is appropriate to dress up. The service is excellent and stately, the white table cloths pristine and the food sublime. I had a wonderful melon gazpacho and the soft shell crab special. My companion had salmon and we shared a key lime pie. Complimented with a lovely chardonnay, the meal was complete. Definitely would go back again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rome, Italy
“Rehearsal Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had the rehearsal dinner for our daughter's wedding at the Kings Contrivance Restaurant this past Friday night and it was wonderful. We had 56 people on the lovely air conditioned sun porch.
The food was incredible...We choose a menu of 4 entrees and each and every one was delicious! Our family and friends raved about the food. Richard, the manager was a pleasure to work with and made the event run beautifully. We look forward to having other events there! Columbia Maryland which is filled with chain restaurants has this wonderful gem...We HIGHLY recommend it!

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Excellent local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I made last minute reservations for King's Contrivance for an escape from the kids night out. We were one of the first people in the restaurant. The service was excellent. We both got the early bird specials. For appetizers I got the seafood crepe and my wife got the MD crab soup. My crepe was excellent, her soup was good, but was a little heavy on the Old Bay seasoning. For entrees, I got the pork tenderloin and my wife got the fillet minion. My pork disk was good, a tad to overdone but the sauce made up for it. My wife's filet was good, a little on the medium-rare side instead of the requested medium, but still good. Neither of us were big fans of the potato side dish that came with the fillet. Both of our desserts excellent.

All in all a great trip. It wasn't as a knock your socks off type of evening like we have had in the past but still great service and good food.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
New Market, Maryland
“Exceptional in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We got married at the King's Contrivance in 1999 and went there for our 1st and14th wedding anniversaries. It is simply a magical place--our wedding could not have been more perfect and the food is ALWAYS great. If you are thinking about planning a small, intimate wedding--then this is the venue. The staff could not have been more helpful and we were able to have everything we requested.