“Nice Atmosphere - Lots of Parking” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 204 Restaurants in Columbia
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice Atmosphere - Lots of Parking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We have been to KC a few times. The first couple of times were for dinner and it was always delicious! Very attentive staff, generous entrees and great drinks!
We went for Valentine's Day and they seemed a little overwhelmed. They totally forgot my husband's food and it took quite some time for them to bring it. His food was good once it arrived but I was nearly done with my entree when his had just arrived. Also, the tables were packed so close together that we could practicaly elbow the people next to us. The Valentine's experience was just ok...
We returned for Mother's Day brunch. Pretty dissapointing. My fish had no flavor. Another person in my party ordered the french toast and that was all it was - french toast with toppings. We could have had that at any breakfast place (and paid a lot less!). This was the first time I was truly dissapointed with the food.
The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and it is cozy with lots of parking available. Overall I would certainly return, but probably not on a holiday (definitely not for brunch).

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Gambrills, Maryland
“Good Anniversary Dinner/Family Hooked on Chilean Sea Bass”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My Family and I had a 50th Anniversary dinner here for my grandparents and it was excellent!!! The restaurant was home to King Contrivance (Learned from my aunt) and it looked like a mansion where you can get into another world (Narnia,Jumanji) The room where we had dinner was very nice and my uncle had put together a slideshow for my grandparents and there was a nice space to put the projector and the screen. The food was delicious! I and the rest of my family had Chilean Sea Bass which they were craving and tried at different places! The Chilean Sea Bass was excellent for me but I did not crave it!! The appitizers were great! I had the tomato and mozzerella on bread and it was great (My mom makes it the best!) Overall, Our dinner was fantastic here!!!!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Germany
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We usually go to King's Contrivance on special occasions. Food there has always been great and high quality. Servers make you feel special and welcome. One of the best places in Columbia.

Visited May 2012
Westerville, Ohio
“Pleasant surprise in one of Columbia's hard to find areas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Great food and surprising good ambiance given fact we were in columbia. Menu is diverse-we had salmon veal and pork chops and everyone very happy. Only a cuple miles from col. Town center. They have a Sunday brunch which I look forward to trying on of these weekends. Service great as well.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Fine, but we expected more for our money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

King's Contrivance has a strong reputation so we were eager to try it. To start with the service was a bit off, we felt very rushed to order and then once we did our dinners took nearly 40 minutes to arrive though the place was not all that busy. Once we finished our cleaned dishes sat on the table for what seemed like a long time. The food was good, but unimaginative. My wife and I both had the angel hair pasta with seafood. The seafood was fresh, but the sauce was simply butter with some parsley in it. This was priced at $28.

All of this would have been perfectly fine if our bill didn't total $120 -- for one glass of wine, two appetizers, two entrees and a shared dessert. For that price we hoped for something that wowed us, but we didn't find it at King's Contrivance.

• Visited April 2012