“Another Great Indian Joint” 4 of 5 stars

(410) 381-3844
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
House of India is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #68 of 220 restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
MD
“Another Great Indian Joint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

we went here for the lunch buffet and we were happy to find that it met the quality that we have come to expect from indian restaurants:

The Good:
-Easy to find
-Clean white table cloths not a bunch paper "linen"
-As expected very polite and helpful servers
-Great and varied vegetarian options

The Not so Good:

76% Recommend
Columbia, Maryland
“Sunday Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went here last Sunday to try their lunch time buffet. I wanted to compare it to the Royal Tai, where we had a very good lunch time buffet on a Saturday several weeks ago. The short answer is that Flavors of India is overall an equal -- some things are better, some are not.

The first problem with FoI is getting there. It is in a small strip mall on Snowden River Parkway in a section where the road is not only divided, but one lane is much higher than the other. If you are coming from Broken Land parkway, you will not even see the strip mall. What you have to do is to make a U turn just after you pass Lincoln Tech on the right and then head back towards Broken Land. There are two strip malls, and House of India is in the first one (Akbar is in the second one).

We got there at about 1 PM -- the buffet runs from 12-3 on Sundays. The restaurant is small, perhaps 15 tables but was not full.

The buffet line starts out with a couple of salad dishes. I tried a kidney bean salad. It was good, but had too much cilantro for my tastes. I am one who does not really like fresh cilantro. Next was a container offering those little fried vegetable fritters called pakora. These were the only thing on the line that I would critisize. The two I picked up were cold. My wife had one and said that hers was slightly warm. They should have been hot.

Moving on down the line, there was a good selection of vegetarian and meat dishes. Some were typical of Indian Buffet lines, such as the chicken Tikka Masala and Tandori chicken. Others were not as common.

There was a "chef's special chicken" which took center stage in the corner where the buffet line curved. It was presented on an open large wok. A mix of boneless chicken pieces and vegetabes. I had some and it was very good. The flavoring was unique, and with just a little hot spice but not so much that anyone would feel overpowered. This was pleasing and in contrast to so many buffet lines who tone down the spice level to almost non existent.

Another unusual dish for an Indian buffet line was their goat curry. I've had that only at one other buffet, at a place 30 minutes away on an evening buffet. I tried it and it was also quite good -- rich and hearty.

A third unusual dish was a hard boiled egg curry. My wife tried it and said that it was good.

A vegetarian could get a good meal here. There was a spinach dish, chickpea dish, rice, and dal.

The desserts were typical, and not as good as I have had elsewhere -- but perhaps I was too full by then to really enjoy.

Service was good -- empty plates disappeared promptly, water glasses refilled, etc.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I go to this place for the lunch buffet and am always pleased. The dishes are always fresh and replenished when low. The dining room is classy. All around it's a great place.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, MD
“Fantastic Service & Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The only place we go for Indian food! The service is always wonderful. The carry out service is always very efficient. Can't wait to go back

Visited May 2012
Odenton, Maryland
“Great place to dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We've been to this establishment a few times and we love it. My parents visited from Georgia and we decided to take them and they too loved it. The staff is friendly and fast. I highly recommend this restaurant for family outings.

• Visited December 2011