“Great food, but they need to work on the service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 220 restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Indian, Vegetarian, Asian fusion, Halal
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Authentic Indian Cuisine -Light, Healthy & Delicious. Open EVERYDAY for Lunch & Dinner
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Great food, but they need to work on the service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Service was pretty poor. First, when you walk in it is a large empty space with no hostess stand and nobody to seat you. We did get someone's attention and got seated but then had to wait a long time just to get water. Then they got a simple order for two glasses of wine wrong. Then they did one thing that really bothers me which was bring the entrees before we finished our soups. I was prepared to be disappointed in the food - at this point there was no comparison to our all-time favorite Indian restaurant, Royal Taj. Then the food came and wow! It was great! The waiter turned out to be very knowledgeable and recommended which breads would go best with our entrees. They also got the spice levels exactly right, as I like my food very mild and my husband likes his very spicy. He is not fond of vegetables but we both loved the Baingan Bharta (mashed eggplant). I would definitely give Mango Grove another try.

Visited June 2013

70% Recommend
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fresh authentic flavor, no frills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Looking at past reviews, Mango Grove seems to be a victim of people expecting more out of it than what it is. This place makes fantastic Southern Indian vegetarian food. Those who complain about their meat dishes or their ineptitude with serving alcohol are analogous to those who complain about the fish dish at a steakhouse. Southern Indian cooking is predominantly vegetarian and culturally limits alcohol consumption! Stick to what the restaurant is for and you won't go wrong. I particularly enjoyed the okra and paneer tikka. A great starter for the table is the sizzling paneer platter.

The buffet wasn't available during my visit, but it looked like it would be rather elaborate. I would imagine it would showcase many of the specialties of a very fine menu.

Visited April 2013
Portland, Oregon
“We had a good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had great food, excellent service, and we didn't order alcohol or the buffet. I had recently gone to another Indian restaurant in the same neighborhood and I had much better food here.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, MD
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The restaurant may be worth visiting for those interested in an inexpensive buffet without alcohol, but those who want to dine ala carte with wine should stay away. The staff is so focused on keeping the buffet tables filled that they tend to ignore ala carte customers who tend to spend much more. Furthermore, the wine selection is very poor and mark-up is unreasonable. I paid $8.00 for a five ounce pour of shiraz that costs $6.99 per 25 ounce bottle at my wine retailer. My case price is $5.25 a bottle.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Falls Church, Va
“Outstanding Authentic Indian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This place is absolutely delightful. I loved the authentic cuisine. The food was clean and healthy filled with rich flavors. The service was excellent and it was good see the same staff as always. I love coming here and will continue to return. I came here on valentines days and they had a special menu. It was a very nice evening with live music and even a rose at the end of the meal. I look forward to devouring the buffet.

• Visited February 2013