“Atmoshere, Service, Good food not found elsewhere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Baltimore, Maryland
“Atmoshere, Service, Good food not found elsewhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The above says it all. The service is prompt. The food is excellent. The red sauced wontons are not to be missed. The drinks are strong. Overall the average entree is $14-16, a tad pricey but understandable for the area. The atmosphere on a Tuesday night was quiet and relaxing.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

76% Recommend
Columbia, MD
“Asean Bistro is Still a Great Lunch Destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

It's been over a year since I first reviewed this popular local Chinese/Asian restaurant, but I am happy to say it is still an unbelievable lunch value in Columbia. You can literally order a customized lunch entre, with your choice of egg roll or soup, complimentary steamed vegetable selections while you wait, for less than 7 dollars before tip. Their luncheon menu has about a dozen pre-selected options with fried or steamed rice, but you can also order a wide selection of individual dishes if you want to try something more exotic. There is a long list of appetizers from which you may choose something special, also at reasonable lunchtime prices. They have a nice selection of beer and wine too.

The dining room is often packed at noon, but if you come early or a bit later, you will enjoy a more relaxed pace and better service. The few servers are kept very busy so you may have to wait to place your order or to receive your check. I eat a lot of Chinese food and my bellwether test is how they make fried rice when ordered as an entre. At Asean Bistro, you may choose it with pork, beef, shrimp, red-cooked roast pork loin slices, or in combination. I ordered combination with extra bean sprouts, which is my favorite. The chef always accommodates my "tweaks" to any dish, and this was no exception. My rice was cooked to order (not just scooped from a rice cooker like most places), and it was a heaping mound (enough to take half home). It came piping hot with a delicious, savory seasoning that required no added soy sauce. If you have never considered ordering fried rice as a main event, this is the place to do so. You will not be disappointed.

Instead of my usual egg drop or hot and sour soup, I ordered the spring roll which was properly delivered first, with a small dish of tangy red sauce. It came hot from the fryer and was cooked to perfection. I would say after years coming here that you can't go wrong with any dish. The very reasonable prices will make it easy for you to come often. As I read my fortune at the end of my meal, I thought that my real good fortune was coming here in the first place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

First of all, this bistro has a very nice atmosphere! With their cozy architecture, tables, chairs to the band that plays music while people dine. Food is amazing! Their Pan fried noodles is a must try along with their chicken lettuce wrap. It was my first time and will definitely go back for more. I recommend this place for a first date or a family dinner.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious Asian Food at Deliciously Reasonable Cost”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Jesse Wong's Asean Bistro www.aseanbistro.com provides delicious food served in a relaxed atmosphere. The prices are reasonable for lunch or dinner. It's often our go-to-place for guaranteed good meal and service. It's a favorite among the area locals. Absolutely unpretentious! Whenever friends visit Columbia www.columbiamd.com, we take them to the Asean Bistro. Enjoy!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Used to be great but not anymore”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I live a few miles from the Asean Bistro, it's been our go-to for Chinese food for about 10 years. In the last year, the food quality has really slipped. Now we'll only order the appetizers and even then we keep it simple. Egg drop soup, veggie spring rolls, chicken satay, those are all still pretty good. Everything else on the menu tastes like frozen food service food, tossed into a deep fryer. It all used to be so fresh and delicious, it always tasted chef prepared, but their level of quality has really slipped. We ordered carryout last night for the last time. I had the egg drop and the chicken satay, it was acceptable. My husband had the sweet and sour pork, it was the last thing on the menu he would still eat, but this time it tasted bad. Rubbery pork, definitely frozen nuggets made off-site in a factory somewhere, tossed in a frier and then covered with a jar of pink sauce. We were so disappointed. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be going back anymore. We've given them many opportunities to come back up to par but they haven't. It's a shame, The Asean Bistro used to be so good, one of our favorites. Not anymore.

• Visited May 2013