“Why can't all supermarkets be like this?” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Burlington, NC
“Why can't all supermarkets be like this?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2015

We love Wegmans - and make sure that we stop by on vacations in the Maryland area. Specifically talking about food - I break it down into 4 categories: 1) choice; 2) quality of food; 3) price of food; 4) dining experience.

1) The choice of food is terrific. So much variety - so easy to "shop" around and pick out what you want. Rows and rows of hot / steam tables - offering all kinds of ethnic and local cuisine --- main courses, sides, breads, desserts...

2) Our experience with the food is that it is always hot, rotated well, and tasty. I often get crab cakes (and a few sides) and they rank with any of the great Baltimore-area seafood houses. Delicious.

3) The price of the food can be high - but no higher than any good-to-nice area eatery... so that is not a problem. Plus - you only pay for the weight of what you buy - so really, just keep your portions manageable.

4) The atmosphere is uniquely cool. Ride the escalator to the top of the store and pick out a dining area (from among several great choices). I like the section of tables that hang out over the store - giving a deck-like view of the shopping below. I also like the ample # of tables and eating areas - and score the dining experience high because if it.

I guess my only question is simply: Why can't all supermarkets be like Wegmans?

• Visited April 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

America
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2015

New supermarket in the Columbia area (to me) and, IMO puts the other chains in the area to shame w/ outstanding selections of produce and cheeses. They have a very nice serve yourself buffet (pay by weight) with many different cuisines represented. Can be togo or they have unimaginative seating nearby.

Visited April 2015
Catonsville, Maryland
“Unimpressed with general experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015

Since this store opened, I've visited and though some things bothered me, lately I've become more disheartened about shopping here. First off, why was the vegetarian bar taken out? I'm strictly vegetarian and can eat only vegetables, fruits, due to having to closely watch calories. There's nothing for me there now. In December I developed a severe stomach virus after consuming milk bought there, this led to a course of antibiotics for a month. Today, Lara, a cashier at, I believe was #16 or 18.... The Arab gal with a lazy right eye, told me I needed to "remember the number" for a bulk item I'd bought. Really? I'd told her what the item was based on what is on the container... I'm suppose to remember the number? I drive a distance to deal with rudeness from the arrogant shoppers, this just takes the cake. Goodbye.

• Visited May 2015
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Glenelg, Maryland
“We are always here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2015

This is the granddaddy of all grocery stores. Although I have to say that the quality seems to be dropping since their grand opening, this place is still incomparable in the area.

Visited March 2015
Columbia, MD
“Fun lunch place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2015

This is a fun place for lunch. There are several different food bars where you can get a wide selection of different dishes--Asian, Indian, home style comfort food, chicken wings, salads, vegetarian entrees. If you go with a crowd, everyone can get what they want, or mix and match. We like taking our selections upstairs where we can look over the balcony at the shoppers below.

Visited September 2014