“Interesting food, good service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rudy's Mediterranean Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 220 restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 175
Columbia, Maryland
“Interesting food, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We went to Rudy's tonight. They seem to be mostly focused on Turkish foods, but with some other selections. Our order was two Turkish beers, one light beer for my wife and a dark beer for me. Both were good, and suited out respective tastes.

For our meal we each ordered a kabob platter. She had a chicken Shish kabob platter and I had a mixed kebob platter. Both came with a fresh salad with a vinaigrette dressing plus basmatic rice. The meats were marinated and had good flavor. Each platter has eight cubes, a bit more than 1 inch per side -- quite ample serving, and in fact we took some home for next day. My dish had four chicken, two beef and two lamb kabobs. The chicken was more tender than the other meats but all tasted quite good.

They served a fresh bread with a very nice crispy crust and a shallow plate with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The bread was good on its own, and the tang of the vinegar and oil mixture was also tasty.

The service was quite good. The main person greeted us at the door quickly, explained choices and checked back to see how thing were -- but was not obtrusive.

The menu has a number of interesting lunch items, subs and sandwiches, as well as a pretty good looking breakfast menu.

Total bill before tax and tip was $42.40.

This is a place we will probably go back to.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Value declining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My family has been going to Rudy's since it opened. We have seen the turnover in chefs, the mass Groupon campaigns and a few other things. If you like Turkish food this is the place for you. But the value has gone down considerably.

At first they just raised the prices of just the lamb chops since they got a good review in the Baltimore Sun. Then all the other prices were raised. Now the portion sizes are shrinking. The combination kabob now only comes with 6 pieces of meat. The menu makes it seem like it comes with 6 kabobs. As soon as they got the liquor license the wine prices were reasonable. Now the price per glass is on par with Aida. The front window still has a sign that advertises "Breakfast all Day" which meant we could always find something on the menu for our kids. Now the sign is still there, but unlit at night and the menu says something under the breakfast section similar to "Available until dinner". All of these changes have happened within a relatively short time.

The food is still good, the deserts are great. Rudy himself is an interesting character but we don't feel we get the value for our money anymore. We will probably give them one or two more chances hoping that he may have only raised the prices and cut portions to make up for the Groupon specials, but they may have lost us as customers. Service can be good, can be slow. They seem to have a large turnover in waiters/waitresses. They have several new ones there right now. Hopefully things improve soon.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Something for Everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Rudy's is the kind of place where I can try the exotic ( to me) Turkish selections while the kids are content with the familiar burger and fries. Its varied menu has something to please every palate at reasonable prices. The red lentil soup had light, flavorful seasonings to warm a cold day. The doner sandwich was accompanied by salad and fries, more than enough for me, and all for $8.95.
We will be back to try other selections.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clarksville, Maryland, United States
“Nice food in very casual setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The restaurant is set in a strip mall with dinner "but wanna be more" atmosphere. The middle eastern food was very tasty, which was all that we ordered. However, we were surprised to see so many items on the menu like mozzarella sticks and cheeseburgers. I hope the place survives, but with a menu almost as large as TGIF they may be straying from their strength from the delicious grape leaves and kabobs we enjoyed

Visited October 2012
Hampton, VA
“An Experience in Food Nirvana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

If you want to eat great food, with great service, and great people (customers and staff) then try Rudy's. If you want factory produced national chain quality food, go somewhere else.

While travelling for business, my wife and I tried Rudy's after reading the reviews on Yelp*. Well, once again Yelp has gotten us to try something new, and once again, Yelp did us right!

From the moment you enter Rudy's you know you are in for a treat. The atmosphere is wonderful... tastefully decorated, and friendly staff and customers immediately set the mood. Just so you know, we liked it so much we had to go back for breakfast!

Ok, we have never had Turkish food, and had no idea what to order. Never fear, Rudy is near! Rudy explained the options to my wife and recommended she try "Chicken Pide" since it didn't have onions. Then, it was my turn... "You like Lamb" asked Rudy. I said yes, at which point my menu was taken and Rudy said "OK, I know what you want". That was it... I had no idea what I was getting except that it had Lamb.

We started our meal with "Sigara Boregi" (think Turkish Egg Roll), and Red Lentil Soup. - WOW! is all I can say. Great flavors, light fresh tastes, and nice presentations.

Entrees: My wife loved the "Chicken Pide". The dough was very good, the spices in the filling were very nicely balanced, and the portion size was just right (if not a little too large).

My surprise entree was "Grilled Lamb Adana". Rudy was right... this was a perfect entree. The lamb was very tender and well seasoned. No single spice outweighed the others. The rice was moist and perfectly cooked.

So, after eating way too much, we gave in to the dessert menu. I had the Kunefe, my wife had the cannoli cake. WOW! (I know I keep using that word a lot, but there is no other way to describe it).

During dinner, Rudy turned off the TVs and instead ran a slide show of Turkey (the nation, not the bird!). It is obvious he is proud of his heritage and likes to share his culture. As we waited for dessert, Rudy brought Turkish tea to our table to ensure we had an appreciation for his heritage.

So on Saturday we went for breakfast. Do not pass up this opportunity. Everything was very nice and the quality and quantity is a real value.

Rudy's is a dining experience, not a meal. You can eat fast, but you will not want to. Rudy's is a turkish version of your grandma's dinning room. You won't eat and run, rather you will eat, enjoy, and feel comfortable with your new best-friends.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Rudy's Mediterranean Grill? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Rudy's Mediterranean Grill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.