“Loved the place but they play favorites with their shuttle service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia

Special Offer
AAA Members Save
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Charleston, South Carolina
“Loved the place but they play favorites with their shuttle service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

I liked the hotel very much. I thought the suite I stayed in was very nice. Perfect for one or two people. I did not have a problem with the basketball court as the other guest wrote in this forum, but I did not like the noise coming from the soda vending machine outside my room (401). The developer decided to build three rooms in an area on the fourth floor where a massive soda vending machine runs. The refrigeration unit operating in this machine is constantly shuting on and off, and when it starts up, its very loud. Fortunately when I shut the bedroom door I did not hear the noise, but when you ar watching TV, or reading or studying, as I was, in the living area, the loud noisy refrigeration pump was dominating. They need to either move that machine to where the rest of the noise is (the basketball court) or replace it with a quiet running unit.
Other than that, and the fact that they could be more generous with the fabric softener on the pillow cases, the room was great. Full kitchen and nice eating area and living area. The complementary microwave popcorn wasn't much but a nice touch.

Now my gripe. I chose this hotel because the rate included a full breakfast buffet (very good) and shuttle service to where I was taking a training class that week. Those two features alone saved me money on breakfast meals and car rental However, on almost a daily basis I had to fuss with the desk clerk about my shuttle departure time to take me to class. Apparently the US post office, which is feeding this hotel with a constant stream of guests, gets priorty over any other customers when it comes to the shuttle service. When I wanted to leave at 7:30am I could not, since "postal" had the shuttle going in the opposite direction. Excuse me? Is my money not as good as the post office's money? Aren't I a paying customer just like all the others? Hey Homewood, if your going to offer shuttle service, it should be offered evenly to ALL customers. If a customer needs to leave at the same time as another, but going in the opposite direction, handle it! I, as a customer, should never be told "no, you'l have to wait".

And, speaking of shuttle service, I realize how difficult this request would be given the fact that the hotel is having a hard time as it is with their shuttle service, transportation to and from the airport would be a real nice service to offer.

Oh, and one more thing, and this might just be a fluke. The bill for my stay had an additional night's charge on it, and that charge was $20.00 more than the rate I was paying for the nites of my scheduled stay! When I presented this to the clerk on the morning of my departure, she could not explain it but verified that my credit card was not going to be charged any more than the agreed upon rate for the nights I stayed. Just be sure to check your invoice closely when you get it!

• Liked — Clean, the breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — shuttle service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

Not a bad hotel but make sure you get a room as far away from the basketball hoop as possible.
The bad:
Every afternoon (and going on into the night - until after 9 one night) they play basketball then hang out and talk (until almost 12 one night). We happen to be right above the court area and it's very loud and disruptive. It echos because it's in the courtyard and even with the ceiling fan on high you can't disguise the noise. I'm good with folks having fun but really couldn't it be set up out in the parking lot or something?
Workout room is a wreck - most of the equipment is broken - 2 of the treadmills completely dead and another barely working. Eliptical machines broken. No stairmaster. No remote for the tv (bring your ipod).
Ice cold in the hallways - maybe 50's! I'm serious you could hang meat.
Breakfast is pretty typical for this type of place - not great but hey it's free. In our room the bedroom door was either open blocking the bathroom or slams closed if you tried to leave it partway open. Kind of annoying.
The good:
Nice laundry facilities. Fast and free internet connection. Reasonably equiped kitchenette and nice room layout.

Overall not a bad place to stay (we spent a week) but do not accept a room by the basketball hoop unless you are used to a lot of noise.

• Liked — Layout of the room
  • Disliked — Noisy due to proximity to basketball court. Bad workout room (everything broken)
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia? Share your experiences!