“I was @ Home at the Homewood.. best one I have been too” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Members Save
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“I was @ Home at the Homewood.. best one I have been too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

It is nice to stay at any Homewood, but this one was the best yet. The staff were happy, the rooms were a nice size, and very clean. The parking lot was a good size, the Breakfast was very good, and did not have the same thing everyday.. The "dinner" was also good and free, sure it was Hot Dogs and Tater Tots one night but.. it was free.. Good location, lots of things around the hotel, from a farm of chain resturants, a food lion, and a strip mall... Right off 95 and 32 in MD. It was a very good week!

• Liked — Helpful and nice staff, all the free things, food, internet, etc.
  • Disliked — Checking out
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
glendale, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

This is an excellent suite-type hotel. My room had a good-sized living room, small kitchen with black-glass cooktop, bedroom, dressing area, bathroom and large closet. There were TVs in the living room and bedroom. Everything was spacious and harmoniously designed.

The 4-story hotel is located on a pleasant dead-end street set amid woods that gives a feeling of being isolated from the bustle. The only other things on the street were a service station and 4 or 5 restaurants. The hotel has a pool, basketball court, exercise room and laundry. The very good included breakfast had sausages, eggs and omelets among other things. All in all, this is a terrific, well designed and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed October 2007
Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

A nice and friendly girl checked me in. She gave me the feeling that my husband and I were welcoming guests. We were given a great 1-bedroom suite, very quiet at the back of the hotel. The furniture was made of good materials, very comfortable, well maintained and looked very attractive. Full kitchen with all the necessary utensils, like a huge refrigerator, a dishwasher and microwave, all kitchenware etc. The bedroom was rather smallish, but had a good quality king bed. The bathroom was clean with a bath and toilet and the sink outside. There were 2 TV-sets and a working desk with chair.

The wings are built in a square and the swimming pool is in the middle. In all it was a pleasant surrounding, there are enough towels available and around the pool are sun beds. Many children were playing in the pool, as it was in the summer period that we were there. We didn’t mind the noise that came with it, it was fun to watch the children play. Also children were playing basketball on the field on the other side. There is also a sort of patio with chairs, tables and parasols; a family had a barbeque over there.

The supermarket is a short drive away. We were given good directions from the girl at the front desk. There is also a liquor store in the vicinity. We cannot give a review about the free dinners, they are only served from Monday till Thursday and we were there in the weekend. There are restaurants on walking distance, but we preferred to cook ourselves. The breakfast was good, many items to choose from. I took it on a plate with me to our room.

The laundry is well equipped and I was able to do all my washes before leaving home. Coins can be bought at the reception. I didn’t have to buy detergent, as other guests left plenty to use.

There is a spacious business center, to be opened with the room key, with two computers and printers.

There was really something special there on Sunday morning. Then they have a church ceremony in one of the meeting rooms. The people arranging the room where the service would be were very forthcoming. We had to leave, but it seemed to become a nice ceremony, complete with singing. We just saw people attending who were beautiful dressed for this Sunday Church.

• Liked — Nice suite and very friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leander, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

My mother and I stayed here for one night last week. I had booked a one king bed suite. After traveling by air for 7 hours I was exhausted and not looking forward to having to share a bathroom . The front desk staff offered to upgrade us to a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite. I was amazed - it was as if he knew just what I needed that night - privacy and a good night's sleep. The suite was large, very clean and very nicely decorated. The beds were so comfortable - it almost felt like I was sleeping in my own bed!

• Liked — The clean and spacious suite
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

I liked the hotel very much. I thought the suite I stayed in was very nice. Perfect for one or two people. I did not have a problem with the basketball court as the other guest wrote in this forum, but I did not like the noise coming from the soda vending machine outside my room (401). The developer decided to build three rooms in an area on the fourth floor where a massive soda vending machine runs. The refrigeration unit operating in this machine is constantly shuting on and off, and when it starts up, its very loud. Fortunately when I shut the bedroom door I did not hear the noise, but when you ar watching TV, or reading or studying, as I was, in the living area, the loud noisy refrigeration pump was dominating. They need to either move that machine to where the rest of the noise is (the basketball court) or replace it with a quiet running unit.
Other than that, and the fact that they could be more generous with the fabric softener on the pillow cases, the room was great. Full kitchen and nice eating area and living area. The complementary microwave popcorn wasn't much but a nice touch.

Now my gripe. I chose this hotel because the rate included a full breakfast buffet (very good) and shuttle service to where I was taking a training class that week. Those two features alone saved me money on breakfast meals and car rental However, on almost a daily basis I had to fuss with the desk clerk about my shuttle departure time to take me to class. Apparently the US post office, which is feeding this hotel with a constant stream of guests, gets priorty over any other customers when it comes to the shuttle service. When I wanted to leave at 7:30am I could not, since "postal" had the shuttle going in the opposite direction. Excuse me? Is my money not as good as the post office's money? Aren't I a paying customer just like all the others? Hey Homewood, if your going to offer shuttle service, it should be offered evenly to ALL customers. If a customer needs to leave at the same time as another, but going in the opposite direction, handle it! I, as a customer, should never be told "no, you'l have to wait".

And, speaking of shuttle service, I realize how difficult this request would be given the fact that the hotel is having a hard time as it is with their shuttle service, transportation to and from the airport would be a real nice service to offer.

Oh, and one more thing, and this might just be a fluke. The bill for my stay had an additional night's charge on it, and that charge was $20.00 more than the rate I was paying for the nites of my scheduled stay! When I presented this to the clerk on the morning of my departure, she could not explain it but verified that my credit card was not going to be charged any more than the agreed upon rate for the nights I stayed. Just be sure to check your invoice closely when you get it!

• Liked — Clean, the breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — shuttle service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

Not a bad hotel but make sure you get a room as far away from the basketball hoop as possible.
The bad:
Every afternoon (and going on into the night - until after 9 one night) they play basketball then hang out and talk (until almost 12 one night). We happen to be right above the court area and it's very loud and disruptive. It echos because it's in the courtyard and even with the ceiling fan on high you can't disguise the noise. I'm good with folks having fun but really couldn't it be set up out in the parking lot or something?
Workout room is a wreck - most of the equipment is broken - 2 of the treadmills completely dead and another barely working. Eliptical machines broken. No stairmaster. No remote for the tv (bring your ipod).
Ice cold in the hallways - maybe 50's! I'm serious you could hang meat.
Breakfast is pretty typical for this type of place - not great but hey it's free. In our room the bedroom door was either open blocking the bathroom or slams closed if you tried to leave it partway open. Kind of annoying.
The good:
Nice laundry facilities. Fast and free internet connection. Reasonably equiped kitchenette and nice room layout.

Overall not a bad place to stay (we spent a week) but do not accept a room by the basketball hoop unless you are used to a lot of noise.

• Liked — Layout of the room
  • Disliked — Noisy due to proximity to basketball court. Bad workout room (everything broken)
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia? Share your experiences!