“Great Hotel for Merriweather Post Pavilion Shows” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Northern Virginia
“Great Hotel for Merriweather Post Pavilion Shows”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We got a room here when we went to a show at Merriweather Post Pavilion, and it was very convenient. Good rooms, and a good staff! Front desk and housekeeping were accommodating and nice. Highly pleased with the property, only complaint is we didn't get the requested smoking room. Recommended for concert-goers!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

The hotel lobby was clean and attractive, as was our room. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. We had a few questions for the front desk about local attractions and they really went above and beyond the call of duty in helping us with directions, etc. Note, however, that the pool is a bit on the small side, and the jacuzzi was out of order.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Springfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

On the surface, it looks like a nice hotel. Was greeted pleasantly on arrival. Below are excerpts from a lettter I sent to HGI:

I noted that my bathroom had an odor of mildew. I asked the front desk to switch out the shower curtain as I suspected that was the likely source. I don’t know if they did or not, but the odor persisted throughout my stay.

The internet access in the hotel that is provided to guests is unacceptable, beyond poor. I could connect to the wireless service without a problem; bandwidth was the problem was it is almost nonexistent. I ended up using my cell phone for internet service.

Finally, I selected a room rate which included breakfast. In my stays with other Hilton Garden Inns, I am offered a wait staff to take my order and deliver a hot hand cooked meal. I was surprised that I was offered buffet style. The first morning of my stay, all the offerings which are supposed to be hot were cold, I choked them down as I was in a hurry, but I did mention it to the staff.

The next morning I asked them to provide a hand cooked meal and was refused, but was assured the food was hot, which it was.
I paid an extra twenty dollars a night for this service and feel like I was taken. I could have gone to a local Bob Evans and paid half the cost.

I paid top dollar to stay in this hotel and to be frank, it wasn't worth it.

I suggested HGI send the property managers to the Lynchburg VA property to observe and learn what it means to run a hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Good points:
- quality food nearby
- staff were *sometimes* friendly and helpful

Bad points:
- hotel pool closed by the county health department
- black mold in our A/C vent
- room's carpet needed replacing
- our sofa bed still had old sheets on it so we had to wait for staff to come and change them the first night before we could go to bed
- our room was directly over the ballroom-- very loud on Friday and Saturday evenings
- the room layout only has a window in the bedroom. No natural light in the living area.
- Our safe and closet doors were broken. We stayed for a week before relocating, and they still weren't fixed.

We've moved to Homewood Suites nearby, also a Hilton hotel, and that's working much better for us.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

The fist time we stayed, we were placed in a Handicap King bed room, which was quite spacious, especially in the bathroom. The room was clean, well maintained and the bed comfortable. They have something akin to a Sleep Number bed system in this hotel, which is a nice thing to try. The workout room is nicer than most hotel "gyms" with an exercise bike, treadmill, elliptical and a couple of weight machines. There is a breakfast buffet served until about 11am each day (french toast, eggs, omelettes, biscuits & gravy, bacon, sausage, oatmeals, bagels, toast, yogurt, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, milk, cold cereal). We had booked on expedia to where it was free for us but if you do not, there is a $9.50 charge. They gave us an early check in on this stay, which was very kind.

On our second stay, we checked in considerably later, so we did not require an early check in by any means. However, at around 2:30am the fire alarm went off and we all had to evacuate the hotel. I saw nothing on fire but the fire trucks had to be dispatched to give an all clear. The whole event took maybe an hour and I still don't know what caused it. The pool was also closed for the entire weekend, too. That is a shame since it was about 90 degrees every day that weekend. Otherwise, our room, a nonsmoking King (smaller, as it is not designed to accomodate disabled folks) was also nice. The breakfast, again in our package, was good. When you check in, if you qualify for the breakfast, they will give you one voucher for the number of people in your party. On both occasions, my husband did not want to get up when I did, so I explained this to the woman at the buffet station and she said to turn in my ticket when I was done and just wave to her when both of us came down. It was not a problem on either occasion.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends for a girls night out. I have to agree with the previous reviewers. The beds are not what you normal expect from the Hilton chain. They are a bit harder than normal and not as comfortable. The floor that I stayed on was clean and smelled fine. The floor my friends were on was heavily perfumed. It was almost like at one point it was a smoking floor and they were trying to cover up the smell. The rooms even had a stronger oder of that upnoxious fragrance. My friend called the front desk in order to get an air purifier - it never came.

The check in staff were very nice but it was clear that there was no uniform code or one of the employees chose to ignore it that day. That was a bit odd. The pool towels were very small.

A nice touch was the small food pantry that was next to the front desk. I thought the prices were going to be outrageous but a coke was $1.18 where as in the machine it was $1.50.

The hotel overall is just average. Nothing very spectacular but a clean place to stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I'm writing this review at 7:50 am in the morning after a sleepless night on the bed from hell. There is no different between sleeping on the floor and these beds.

The hotel is clean, but how can you even notice or care when the bed is a rock. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Premium price with less than premium rooms. Go else where.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!