“excellent value for the money” 4 of 5 stars

Book now and save 25%
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Shawnee, United States
“excellent value for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I've now made this my "regular" stop when I have to travel to our branch in MD. I get a consistently-clean room, and the staff is always very friendly and helpful. They do appear to have made some changes to the breakfast offering this last trip out… but in the grand scheme of things, I was still able to get my bowl of oatmeal, so all was good !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed at hotel the night of my wedding (which was local) in a King Suite room. The hotel was actually very accommodating and made sure the room was ready by 9am the day of the wedding (instead of checking in at the normal 3pm) so that the bridal party could get ready there. Hotel receptionists were very nice and the hotel was very clean. The only downside to the room I was in was that the thermostat control was one of those really old slider ones and it was located in the front part of the room... there were not any controls by the bed to adjust the temperature so I was a bit hot that night.

Also, my wife and I signed a contract with the hotel many months before the wedding for our out of town guests. Leading up the event, however, were many issues because the Sales Director that we had signed our contract with was fired. The hotel then proceeded to lose our contract and never confirm the event so when guests tried to call to make a room reservation they were told that there weren't any rooms left (when there were over 20). I had to make many calls to the hotel with complaints about this and had to do a lot of extra work myself (which I was trying to avoid). They even lost a few guests to other hotels because of the hassle. In addition, I was told when I signed the contract that hotel breakfast is free for all guests but then my guests were told that it cost $12/person. Had to call and complain the day of my wedding and then they very nicely comped everyone's breakfast the day after the wedding, which in my opinion is the least they could have done.

Supposedly they just upgraded their hotel right after the wedding so prices went up a lot. I would not recommend the hotel to other friends and family.

Virginia Beach, VA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The HGI, Columbia is a good hotel with all the advertised amenities. The fitness center lacks free weights, but has every else. Good dining at Victoria's Gastropub is within walking distance. Many other restaurants are within a 5 minute drive. Down Baltimore is a 15 minute drive. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I love Hilton Garden Inn's but this hotel is a little dated. Mattresses are a little old and bedding is not the same as some of the Hilton's in other cities. Breakfast was $10.00 per person. It was okay, but would choose another hilton to stay in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Tom W, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We have just completed the Lobby and Restaurant renovation. We have a new look. The rooms will be scheduled next. We have recently added the Keurig coffee makers to all guest rooms to continue to enhance our guests experience. I do hope when your travels bring you back to Columbia you stay with us. Thanks for your business.
Hampton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. No complaints! We are a family of 4 & had plenty of room to spread out. We were there for a wedding so we didn't get to use any of the amenities but it all appeared very welcoming. We have family in the area so I would definitely go back & choose to stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Tom W, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, We have recently renovated the lobby area and are constantly looking at ways to continue to provide the service and hospitality we are known for. We appreciate your staying with us and hope you visit us again soon.
Hoboken, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was a horrible hotel. It looks fine to the unassuming eye. When we arrived we were assigned a room on the 4th floor. It took 2trips to the front desk to get new keys because they weren't working. Housekeeping tried yo open it and it wouldn't work for her either. When I went down to the front desk again the maintenance man happened to be there. He said he knew the door lock was broken. Apparently he didn't tell the desk staff not to assign it, though. When we got into our new room I took off my shoes and realized the carpet was wet. So, the bottom of my bag was wet and so were my feet. We didn't change rooms again because at that point we we're now late.

When we returned that night we stopped at the bar to get a drink and food. The staff was lovely but busy running room service up while trying to serve drinks and food downstairs. After I drank my coffee and Kailua, I saw stuff on the bottom of the black mug. I assumed they were coffee grinds so I wiped them out before my next refill. To my disgust, they were dead fruit flies. At least a dozen. Not including what I probably already consumed. I felt like vomiting right there!!!! How gross to know I just drank a cup of coffee with a side of bugs. Ugggggg. We didn't eat the food and left right away. Then we went to the vending machine to get a water. The lid was on but the water was leaking out of the top. I had to go back to the front desk and complain. They gave me new bottle. Over all I was so grossed out that I couldn't sleep. The hard bed probably didn't help. Overall, this was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. And, I stay in hotels at least 25 nights a year.

Room Tip: 401 had the broken door lock.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tom W, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Sandra,

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Please know that the health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will work to make sure the problem is addressed appropriately. If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.

Meadville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

You will be hard pressed to find a cleaner, nicer, more welcoming hotel for twice the cost of the Garden Inn Columbia. The facility is clean and almost like new and the staff is super friendly. Will be back again, that is certain.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!