“No surprises...the same in every city...a good thing!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Columbia
“No surprises...the same in every city...a good thing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Love my Hilton points! HGI is the same in every city...you know what you are getting which is dependable and a good thing. This location is convenient...not too far off of Rt. 95. Complimentary coffee & Tea were off to the side of the check in desk, cookies were waiting on the counter...and also on the check in counter was a small sample of a specialty drink from the bar...I like that! These little touches are appreciated after the long travel & traffic! I Thought the drink sample from the bar was a nice marketing idea for the bar too! The rooms were comfy and clean...mini fridge, coffee pot, and microwave. Flat screen TV in a cupboard...which you could NOT see if sitting at the desk...TV did not pull out and swivel like other locations. One thing I did not like was, I heard talking and the TV from the room next door. Walls were a bit thin. There are a couple restaurants close by but you pretty much have to get in your car to do things. Not much in walking distance. I have stayed here a few times for business travel and it works out fine. I just prefer a hotel in walking distance to more stuff...I am in my car too much and when I get to the hotel I hate to get back in it! Overall, I do recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Clean rooms and everything is nice and convenient.

Didn't notice it until we the last day but the couches and chairs in the common areas on thee main floor have some rips and tears.
Really the only eyesore in the whole place

Very friendly and professional staff

Great snacks

Food was awesome (the cook, big black guy, is super nice and cooks up some good chow !)

Service was the very best of any hotel that i have ever stayed at
Each and everyone of the ladies and gents who work in the kitchen/bar/dining area deserve a real pat on the back. You never have to ask for a drink or anything, they are always there before you can even have to ask.
All of them are friendly and greet you with a smile.
Wish I got all their names but there was Tracy and a younger black girl
and young red haired German girl. They were all so nice and are the most attentive and hard working staff I have ever had the pleasure of being around.

Maintenance guy is also friendly but i do think it strange to see him delivering meals to the table sometimes (one minute he has a wrench or a mop, the next minute he is brining you a plate of bacon and eggs LOL !)

Next time I am in the area I will be sure and stay here and nowhere else

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Room was clean and well appointed.maid service good. Breakfast had large menu and was a good value. Other food opportunities nearby. The location is convenient to all of Columbia. This is good value particularly with their low weekend rates. One suggestion is that they install treads in the tub as it was very slippery.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Good hotel except that the fire alarm went off several times one night. Did not look like the staff on duty really knew what to do.... Had her head down on the computer while guests were walking around confused as to what was happening. There could have been someone letting people know that it was a false alarm and apologizing. Had it been a real fire, would there have only been one staff person around??? After we went back to our room the alarm went off a few more times and then the light continued to flash inside our room for quite some time. The next morning the very least there could have been a sign with an apology but nothing was acknowledged. Pretty poor handling of this situation. I shudder to think what if there was a real fire???

• Stayed September 2012
George P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay and if you were given any impression that our concern was anything but to correct the problem quickly and to everyone satisfaction. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the fire alarm situation you and your family encountered. Let me assure you that every effort was made to resolve the situation as quickly as possible, and that our alarm servicing company made every effort to locate their technician, he was unfortunately was not able to be reached until 3:00 AM and arrived at the hotel at 3:45 AM. It is unfortunate at there was a breakdown in their system. Additionally it was me who called the fire department and insisted that they come out when it was evident that no one was going to leave the lobby till they verified what was already known that these were false alarms and there was a problem in the system which needed to be resolved by a trained technician. Rest assured that had there been anything I could have done to correct the problem without violating the city or county ordinances I would have done that immediately. In every other case of false alarms they can be resolved within 30 minutes. We can assure you this was an isolated incident that we do not expect to happen again soon. We hope you will consider staying with us again.
columbia maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and like going back to it. However this stay was not a good experience. This was a two night stay. Day one the fire alarm went off in the afternoon. The manager on duty wrote a note to the guest and gave us a free breadfeast. Day two the fire alarm went off agan at midnight,
False alarm the desk stated, then again and again and again for a total of four times. The GM told us not to worry, but until the fire department came all of the guest were in the hotel lobby. It was a zoo! Finally got back to sleep around 2 am. When I woke this morn I expected to find a note under my door saying that the hotel is sorry for last night. I did not care about getting a Greene however I did expect an I sorry. This is a nice hotel in a good location but if you can not sleep it is all wasted. This stay was not good and their PR was sub par

• Stayed September 2012
George P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our room was clean and hotel was ok, two major problems though, and it appears others have faced them too!

1. The address for the hotel is wrong in the Hilton app for iphones - it says 8600 Snowden which is almost a mile away and is a nursing home. The actual address is:
8241 Snowden River Parkway, Columbia, Maryland, 21045, USA The staff person that night could not help us find the hotel, even though we were on the right street and told her precisely where we were...we lost 30 minutes searching for it off of I-95! And the directions we used were those given on the hilton app.

2. Check in was not good either - we are hilton honors members and booked the hotel early in the day, when we arrived that night we were told that our reservation for two beds, non-smoking could not be honored...we had to take a smoking room....we have three asthmatics! When I asked for a manager, she said, ok I can give you a non-smoking seat with one bed, not two, and that will cost an extra $40 for the night. Again I asked for a manager, and then she gave me the correct rate, anda non-smoking room...although it only had one bed for the four of us! You expect this kind of behavior from seedy motels on I-95, but I stick mostly to Hilton hotels because they guarantee their reservations, and give you clear, accurate pricing, no bait and switch! That was no the case here on Saturday August 18th at about 9PM! BEWARE!!
She told me non-smoking was a request, nothing more....I told her that in 30 years at Hilton hotels I had never heard that one!

Room Tip: Not a reliable hotel to keep your reservation or get you the room that was promised...not good for I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

After reading the other reviews, I have to think that the Hilton Garden Inn is listening to the critics. We stayed over night and loved the service we received. The hotel lobby and environment was very clean and inviting. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodated our many requests during our short stay. I loved the 24-hour pantry, which honestly has everything you could possibly need, including wine and beer! The pool and fitness rooms looked well kept and I'm sorry we didn't have more time to enjoy those amenities. Our room was very clean and comfortable and came equipped with microwave (programmed to the correct time), refrigerator, coffee maker, and hair dryer. Logging on to the wireless internet couldn't have been easier and I liked that our room came with a thermostat not a noisy window unit. I would recommend this hotel for travelers with children or older family members. The hotel is situated across from a McDonald's (awesome) and other nearby shopping.

Room Tip: This hotel has rooms on 4 floors which is nice if you have a floor preference.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!