“Where was the apology????” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Columbia
“Where was the apology????”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Good hotel except that the fire alarm went off several times one night. Did not look like the staff on duty really knew what to do.... Had her head down on the computer while guests were walking around confused as to what was happening. There could have been someone letting people know that it was a false alarm and apologizing. Had it been a real fire, would there have only been one staff person around??? After we went back to our room the alarm went off a few more times and then the light continued to flash inside our room for quite some time. The next morning the very least there could have been a sign with an apology but nothing was acknowledged. Pretty poor handling of this situation. I shudder to think what if there was a real fire???

• Stayed September 2012
George P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay and if you were given any impression that our concern was anything but to correct the problem quickly and to everyone satisfaction. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the fire alarm situation you and your family encountered. Let me assure you that every effort was made to resolve the situation as quickly as possible, and that our alarm servicing company made every effort to locate their technician, he was unfortunately was not able to be reached until 3:00 AM and arrived at the hotel at 3:45 AM. It is unfortunate at there was a breakdown in their system. Additionally it was me who called the fire department and insisted that they come out when it was evident that no one was going to leave the lobby till they verified what was already known that these were false alarms and there was a problem in the system which needed to be resolved by a trained technician. Rest assured that had there been anything I could have done to correct the problem without violating the city or county ordinances I would have done that immediately. In every other case of false alarms they can be resolved within 30 minutes. We can assure you this was an isolated incident that we do not expect to happen again soon. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
columbia maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and like going back to it. However this stay was not a good experience. This was a two night stay. Day one the fire alarm went off in the afternoon. The manager on duty wrote a note to the guest and gave us a free breadfeast. Day two the fire alarm went off agan at midnight,
False alarm the desk stated, then again and again and again for a total of four times. The GM told us not to worry, but until the fire department came all of the guest were in the hotel lobby. It was a zoo! Finally got back to sleep around 2 am. When I woke this morn I expected to find a note under my door saying that the hotel is sorry for last night. I did not care about getting a Greene however I did expect an I sorry. This is a nice hotel in a good location but if you can not sleep it is all wasted. This stay was not good and their PR was sub par

• Stayed September 2012
George P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Columbia, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our room was clean and hotel was ok, two major problems though, and it appears others have faced them too!

1. The address for the hotel is wrong in the Hilton app for iphones - it says 8600 Snowden which is almost a mile away and is a nursing home. The actual address is:
8241 Snowden River Parkway, Columbia, Maryland, 21045, USA The staff person that night could not help us find the hotel, even though we were on the right street and told her precisely where we were...we lost 30 minutes searching for it off of I-95! And the directions we used were those given on the hilton app.

2. Check in was not good either - we are hilton honors members and booked the hotel early in the day, when we arrived that night we were told that our reservation for two beds, non-smoking could not be honored...we had to take a smoking room....we have three asthmatics! When I asked for a manager, she said, ok I can give you a non-smoking seat with one bed, not two, and that will cost an extra $40 for the night. Again I asked for a manager, and then she gave me the correct rate, anda non-smoking room...although it only had one bed for the four of us! You expect this kind of behavior from seedy motels on I-95, but I stick mostly to Hilton hotels because they guarantee their reservations, and give you clear, accurate pricing, no bait and switch! That was no the case here on Saturday August 18th at about 9PM! BEWARE!!
She told me non-smoking was a request, nothing more....I told her that in 30 years at Hilton hotels I had never heard that one!

Room Tip: Not a reliable hotel to keep your reservation or get you the room that was promised...not good for I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

After reading the other reviews, I have to think that the Hilton Garden Inn is listening to the critics. We stayed over night and loved the service we received. The hotel lobby and environment was very clean and inviting. The front desk staff were friendly and accommodated our many requests during our short stay. I loved the 24-hour pantry, which honestly has everything you could possibly need, including wine and beer! The pool and fitness rooms looked well kept and I'm sorry we didn't have more time to enjoy those amenities. Our room was very clean and comfortable and came equipped with microwave (programmed to the correct time), refrigerator, coffee maker, and hair dryer. Logging on to the wireless internet couldn't have been easier and I liked that our room came with a thermostat not a noisy window unit. I would recommend this hotel for travelers with children or older family members. The hotel is situated across from a McDonald's (awesome) and other nearby shopping.

Room Tip: This hotel has rooms on 4 floors which is nice if you have a floor preference.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Goshen, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Upon checking in the desk clerk did not give us breakfast coupons or bottles of water. I thought these may have been placed in the room. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Back down to the desk to get these items. As a diamond member, these items are automatically included. However, I was upgraded to a jr. suite. Also found the bathroom floor a bit dirty and I noticed that my socks were dirty after walking around the room. We did notify managment. Hope they resolve the issue. Would prefer staying at the Doubletree Hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Columbia and was charged my hotel fee. Then I noticed a charge on my bank acct for an additional $50. Called the hotel and was put on hold and informed there was no manager available. Called the corporate number and was transferred around a few times until I actually got a live person who informed me she would have to check it out. Someone finally called me back and said the charge was for incidentals which I did not buy or order anything and that I would have to call MY bank and have the charges returned to me. I found this ridiculous and that if I didn't notice this they would of changed me an extra 50. They informed me that it was common practice but I never had this in any other hotels I have stayed at. Also the air conditioner did not work correctly and the breakfast buffet was not looking very good. I went to a fast food instead which looked better than their food which is pretty bad! Will NEVER NEVER stay at a Hilton again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here you will be charged extra and very disappointed!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel, it was affordable, clean and the staff was extremely friendly. The room was clean, I stopped at the bar to get a drink and enjoying it while relaxing in my room. The next morning I had breakfast downstairs and was very pleased with the staff. We were there with our 20 month old son and they were very attentive to our needs, plus the food was great. The staff was extremely helpful to us, I am actually looking forward to going back to this hotel for the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff. Great Stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!