“Exceptional service and good food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Baltimore, Maryland
“Exceptional service and good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Since our favorite Indian restaurant closed last December, my wife and I have been looking for a replacement. Some had good food but terrible service while others had good service but mediocre food. The Royal Taj has both; goof service and good food. It was recommended to us by a coworker and we're glad we visited. While the decor isn't typical Indian, it is very nice and the tables are appointed very nicely. No cheap dishes in this restaurant. The staff was very attentive and polite, and the service couldn't have been any better. The owner or manager, I'm not certain which, ensured everything met our expectations. I had chicken tikka masala and my wife had a salmon dish. Both dishes were very good. Although the prices are a little higher and the portion size only slightly smaller than some Indian restaurants, I'll gladly pay it for the service and quality of food we received. We will be back. I was told the Royal Taj will be moving to a new location nearby in February.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ellicott City, MD
“THE destination for Indian food here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

A friend suggested the Royal Taj lunch buffet; I'd heard great things about the restaurant from my daughter and was anxious to try it. My friend is a regular, and we received a warm welcome as we waited about 10 minutes for a table during a busy late lunch crowd on a Friday. The buffet was outstanding -- although I was a little disappointed that chicken was used in most of the entrees since I love lamb. I sampled nearly everything, including the extensive vegetarian offerings, and it was excellent, especially challenging on a buffet line. Favors of each dish were distinctive. I hadn't had masala dosa for ages, and a chef was making them fresh. The maitre'd offered me a complementary glass of wine since I was with my friend, and the fruity merlot was perfect with the spices. I was impressed how many diners of east Indian descent were patrons. This reminds me of some of the smaller restaurants in Indian cities when I toured there years ago. I'll definitely return soon!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Excellent Indian food in convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We went to Royal Taj to celebrate a special occasion and it was excellent. We ordered the Tandoori Chicken and Tandoori Shrimp as well as Naan and Dal. All was quite excellent coming from the kitchen sizzling. The house wine was very nice and the atmosphere beautiful inside. I can't say enough about the wait staff as they were totally on top of everything. Very pleasant and relaxing with everything taken care of for us. We will definitely return soon.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
olney
“Fabulous Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Went with family to celebrate a birthday. Had a reservation and were seated quickly. Staff is so friendly and attentive. Food was great especially the chicken tikka Marsala. Upon leaving, the manager handed the birthday girl a bottle of wine as a gift! Amazing!

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I am Indian and I had a taste today to eat good Indian food, so I did a search looking for the best Indian food in Maryland. My search led me to check out the reviews for Royal Taj, which had mostly 5 stars, and as a result of the great reviews I decided to have lunch there. My family and I got to the restaurant at around 12:45 and there was a line to get a table for 5. The guy that greeted us was so friendly and reassured us that we would be seated soon. Because of how kind he was we really didn't mind waiting, which was really not long at all. Let me tell you...the wait was worth it. The lunch buffet had an assortment of choices. Being vegetarian I was in heaven. There were just as many veggie choices as meat ones, including a fish curry. Every dish I tried was extremely flavorful. They even have a section where a really nice man makes masala dosas for you. It's been just a few hours since I've eaten there and I am already craving the food. Now I wish I had eaten more. After we ate the kind man that greeted us gave us a drink on the house. He was very personable and even showed us a picture of his dog. This is by far my new number one Indian restaurant.

Visited August 2014