“hate this place!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Columbia - Columbia Corporate Park

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Columbia - Columbia Corporate Park to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Columbia - Columbia Corporate Park
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia, Maryland
“hate this place!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

The bed are extremely uncomfortable and my back now hurts. The maids don't speak english so when I went to ask her for towels I have to grab them myself. The people at the desk are rude and don't care. We have been staying here for about a month.. The first room we were in, the a/c went out, and the room we are in now... the a/c is leaking water all over the floor. So the floor is soaked, and it totally stinks in here. The maintenance man came in and said he fixed it, but no, he just vacuumed all the water up. We went today to ask for a different room since this one has water all over the floor and stinks and they are saying our first room we stayed in being trashed, when it is NO where being trashed, and they are being very rude. So we will probably be leaving. Oh and also, there are little bugs flying around all over in both rooms we've been in. The internet sucks, and is really slow and keeps going out, along with their satellite tv.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

These rooms definitely need to be updated. Also, there were ants, the A/C barely worked, and the carpets & furniture were tattered. The staff was quite friendly and it's nice having a full kitchen, but that definitely does not justify a nearly $200/night rate. Next time I'm in the area, I'll be back in the Courtyard Marriott!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Morrisville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Comfortable and enjoyable. Like a home away from home.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

Whatever you do, do not stay in this hotel. The staff is very unprofessional. Upon checking in, the room was not ready. A friend did a late check-in, found the room occupied by people who apparently should not have been in the room. They quickly dashed out of the room. When they went to the front desk, they said there was nothing they could do about it. They had no idea how to change the room key code so the quest did not want to return to the unclean room. They were told the only rooms left were smoking room. Upon arriving to the room, I could not believe how strong the smell from cigarette smoke that was in the room. This room had never, ever been aired out; the carpet and furniture had burn marks and the carpet was a filthy mess. Even the room that I was occupied had worn carpeting that was not clean and the sofa was worn and stained. All-in-all, the experience in this hotel was one of the worst experiences. This hotel is not worth the aggravation. Stay away!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. The hotel is located conveniently off of Route 100 and close to shopping and dining options.

Parking was good - the lot was big and more than enough open spots. Check-in was fine - the staff were friendly. She did tell me when I checked in that the front desk closes at 11pm.

When making my reservation - I was able to choose between a regular suite and I believe their upgraded suite. I went upgraded. Glad I did because I would have hated to see the regular room if it was worse than mine. The room I stayed in just felt dirty, old and used. Now I know I shouldn't have expected much but I have stayed in the StayBridge hotel (which is 2 minutes from this hotel) the previous night for the same rate and there was a big big difference.

When I peeled back the covers of the bed for the night, I found some hair which was gross. I could live with one hair but there were multiple.

As far as noise in the hotel, there was none the night I stayed.

The front desk did close at 11pm so there are no late night check-ins. They lock the facility up at 11pm.

All in all, the place was average at best. There are numerous options on the same road next to this hotel - the StayBridge, Hampton. Rates will likely be higher but you won't feel dirty leaving the hotel even though you just showered.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Columbia City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

This Hotel is a basic kind of place to stay. I stayed here starting in June of 2008 through mid-September 2008. I was working lots of OT while here, so all I really needed was a place to sleep. I wasn't expecting much going in, so I wasn't disappointed in what I got. I'll break it down this way......

ROOMS: The basic rooms are small efficiencies and include a small kitchen area. There are some Suites, but during my multiple stays, I only got the Suites twice, so there must not be too many. The Suites also have a small kitchen area. The kitchen areas have the basic stovetop, microwave, dishwasher and refrigerator. The kitchen cabinets are clean and stocked with the basics of plates, cups, pots, pans, silverware, etc. The carpet is old and dated and needs to be replaced badly in both the basic rooms and in the Suites and hallways. The beds and pillows are basic fare and could use some upgrades in both the basic rooms and in the Suites. The basic rooms have one queen bed. The Suites that I stayed in have two (2) queen beds. The bathrooms are small and so are the dressing areas in the basic rooms. The Suites have larger dressing areas but suffer from the same small bathroom. The Suites do have a desktop and living room area. Clothing storage is a problem with no dresser space and marginal hanging space. Hangers are also at a premium, with the rooms having no more than 5 hangers in any room at the start of any of my stays. All rooms have access to wireless Internet for a $4.99 per stay. The good news is they only charge you once per stay. If you stay for several weeks, they only charge you once. The Internet was fairly reliable and fast. The rooms are fairly quiet with little noise from other rooms or from the outside. There are washing machines and dryers on every floor, along with vending machines. Every room had an iron, ironing board and hair dryer.

CLEANING: Here is my biggest complaint: No matter how long you stay, your room will not be cleaned unless you pay a fee to have the cleaning staff come to your room. Your bed will not be made unless you make it. The 4 towels you get initially in the bathroom will have to last you your entire stay. If you need more towels, either pay the cleaning fee or go get your own towels. The trash is not removed unless you pay the fee or take it out yourself. The initial cleaning of the rooms is mixed. I often found dirt on the floor from the previous tenant, the cabinet tops and end tables haven't been dusted in some time, judging from the amount of dust I have seen in my rooms. The bathtubs and sinks were clean but many bathtubs were missing the soap dishes. I didn't see any insect problems during my stay.

EXERCISE ROOM: Small is all I can say. They have two (2) treadmills (one doesn't work and didn't for my entire stay), one (1) stationary bike and one (1) stair climber. That's it!!

POOL: Small and only open during the summer months. It closed the Labor Day weekend even though the weather here is still hot. The pool is small with a scattering of chairs and tables.

PARKING: This hotel has a small parking lot in front with larger areas to the sides and rear of the hotel. I never had a problem finding a parking spot.

STAFF: The staff is friendly and tries to help. The front desk is open from 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM. After hours check in is difficult, at best, since the doors are locked at 11:00 PM and you need a key to get through the door. I never arrived that late, so I don't know the procedure to get someone to let you in. Bottom line, get here before 11:00 PM.

MAINTENANCE ISSUES: I had very few problems during my stay. The biggest problem was a broken bed in Room 125 (a Suite), which was not fixed during my stay. I sat on the edge of the bed the first night only to end up on the floor. The box spring supporting the bed and mattress was broken. Luckily, I was not injured, and luckily the Suite had a second bed in the room. I notified the front desk the next morning but the bed stayed broken during my entire two (2) week stay. On another stay, the AC unit was not working properly. The first morning after arriving at the hotel, I woke up to a room at 59 degrees, although I set the thermostat at 72. The AC just kept cooling (impressive, since it was very hot outside during that time). I brought this to the attention of the front desk that morning. This problem was fixed that evening.

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST: Bagels, toast and coffee. That's it!! I ate here the first morning. The bagel was stale and all I had to put on it was butter. From that point on, I went to the store as soon as I checked in and purchased breakfast food. The bottom line is, buy your own and eat in your room.

AREA: The area around the hotel is very nice, with lots of shopping and the usual fast food and restaurant fare. It is difficult to find any of them, however, due to the Columbia area rules on signs. Most of the shopping and restaurants are well hidden from the main roads. If you didn't know they were there, you'd miss them. Columbia, is a very nice, well thought out community.

AIRPORTS: BWI is only 20 minutes north on I95. Dulles is a little more than an hour away (depending on the time of day and traffic). Washington Reagan is 45 minutes away (depending on the time of day and traffic).

PRICE: Depending on the length of stay, from $99.99 to $149.99 per day.

Here is my bottom line, if you are expecting a 5 Star Hotel, this is not the place. If you expect to be coddled and have your every wish fulfilled, before you wish it, this is not the place to stay. If you just want a place to lay your head, where you can cook your own meals, and where you can sleep well, this place fits the bill fine.

• Liked — Location to my work
  • Disliked — Size of the rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

I was here for 3 nights on a business trip. When I cheked in the woman was chit chatting on her cell phone half the time during the check in process. Got into my room, went to check the bed, and found garbage all over the floor between the bed and the shelfing unit. Wrappers, medicine directions, bottle rings, and either q-tips or lollipop sticks were on the ground in CLEAR view of a person ie: the maids. That grossed me out. Woke up expecting a nice full breakfast, for the price I paid for the room, I expected a lot. Only to find my options were apples and bagels. I ended up going to a local coffee shop to get a muffin and such. So allthough my situations were different, this review goes along with the others. There are nicer places for less, so stay there.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Extended Stay America - Columbia - Columbia Corporate Park? Share your experiences!