“Cozy and Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Philadelphia
“Cozy and Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I pulled into The Hampton Inn at 8:00 PM and was given a warm welcome and quick check in. The inn is located right off the highway but in a nice quiet area. Since it was raining I was appreciative of the covered entry way. My room was nice, a bit on the small side and had a refrigerator and microwave. The room was clean except for a few stray hairs in the bathroom and some sticky spots on the floor where someone must have spilled something. The bed was very comfortable, which I think matters most.

I think someone else noted the air conditioner is very loud. Since there's metal outside the rain hitting it was extremely loud.

There was a great variety at breakfast including western omelets that looked like they might have been frozen but were delicious despite how they looked.

I had forgotten contact lens solution and there's a supermarket and other restaurants and liquor stores a short drive nearby.

Everyone was friendly and helpful and I would stay here again. Be aware though that state and local taxes added $20 to the $125 a night rate

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and I was delighted you enjoyed your stay. I was glad to hear you enjoyed our hot breakfast, especially our western omlets and we always have a great variety of items to choose from. We so much appreciate you being here and don't forget to check out some of the upcming events in the Columbia and Baltimore area. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon to Hampton Columbia next time you are in the area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tampa, FL & worldwide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Columbia with my husband two nights towards the end of June. My parents and brother had a room next to ours and my aunt/uncle/cousin had the next room over. We were all there for a wedding up the road in Silver Spring.
When we arrived the staff had our rooms ready and made check in a breeze. They greeted us with bottles of water and fresh baked cookies.
We had requested a room with a king bed, but to be close to the family we took a room with two queens. The bed was comfortable with soft white linen. The blinds make it nice and dark in the room, perfect for a nap. The hotels location is a nice quiet area so the room was nice and quiet. Breakfast on Saturday morning was really busy. We had to wait to get a table. I wanted a waffle, but there were so many people in line I went with the eggs and turkey sausage. I did get a waffle Sunday morning.
The small indoor pool was great for a relaxing swim.
The staff and the hotel were very friendly and helpful. I needed a safety pin and they found one for me. On the second morning there I got a little cut and they also provided a band-aid.
If I am ever in the area again I will definitely stay at the Hampton Inn COlumbia.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and the wedding. It was our pleasure to be able to provide you with the items you needed and am so glad you enjoyed your time at the pool. We love taking care of our guests and I hope you visit us again very soon. There are so many places to see and activities in the area so come on back and enjoy! We all look forward to seeing you again soon!
Claymont, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and helped us with directions and navigating the local public transit. The complementary meals were quite good. Out nightly swim in the pool was refreshing after a long day. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us. It was truly our pleasure to have you here at our hotel. We so much appreciate the time you took to complete the review and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. All of us here at Hampton would love to invite you back again soon and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We recently spent a weekend in the Inner Harbor area for the Phillies/Orioles series. There were 8 of us from two states & we booked 3 rooms. Everyone was pleased with their rooms. They were clean, comfortable & had everything we needed.
The entire hotel was clean & seemed to be well maintained. The pool & hot tub were great although the hot tub wasn't much hotter than the pool. The free breakfast was good & the staff was very nice.
The Hotel's location was great. Nice quiet area, convenient to several restaurants & just a 15-20 minute drive to the inner harbor. All in all a very nice experience & I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing us and we all were so pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay! I am so glad you enjoyed your outing to Baltimore as there are many exciting things to see and do in Colujmbia and Baltimore. Come back and see again soon and don't forget to check out the upcoming events in the area! We all look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia!
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in many hotels all over the world and I have never experienced such hospitality as we have in this hotel! Everything was clean and the people were more than nice! We were very impressed and not only will we recommend this hotel to others but we will with out a doubt stay here any time we are in the DC are! The breakfast buffet was great too! Two thumbs up for outstanding service!

Room Tip: The fourth floor was awesome!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
It was certainly our plesure to have you here and I am delighted you enjoyed the stay. Our staff is committed to providing the best service available and we are so glad you gave us the opportunity to serve you. Please come visit us again soon! We all look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

When all five of our family members travel, it's a challenge to find hotel rooms that allow all of us in a room, especially to find those with bedding for all of us. We've stayed at several Hampton Inns up and down the East Coast, and since they allow 5 and the reviews here were good, we booked a 2-night stay in a 2-queen room for earlier this week at the Columbia Hampton Inn.

We arrived fairly late, 9 pm, but checked in quickly and went to our room. It was too small for our inflatable twin mattress to comfortably fit! The AC unit beneath the window was also visibly dirty, with what looked like small pieces of brown cardboard stuck behind the grate. I'm rather allergic to dust, so we went right back downstairs and requested another room. All the queen rooms are the same size, so that problem couldn't be solved, but we were immediately put into a room across the hall and it was spotless. We had to move the arm chair between one bed and the outside wall to squeeze in the air mattress. It was so tight, my husband had to get out of bed by getting off the end of it. We didn't have quite enough room for all of our things without nearly tripping on them (we were staying with friends the rest of the week, so we each had our own duffel bags, plus two laptops, two backpacks, etc.), so I truly wouldn't recommend this hotel for a family of 5.

The mattresses were fairly comfortable, but definitely on the soft side. I had trouble sleeping the first night and woke up with sore hips. My husband and I disturbed each other with any movement, but my boys slept solidly. Well, once I could convince my teen to get in bed...when he pulled back the duvet, there were small blood stains on the sheets and duvet, on both sides of the bed. We figured perhaps a cleaning staff member had a cut and didn't know it when making the bed. (I thoroughly inspected my kids to make sure they didn't have a cut themselves, but my teen said he immediately saw the blood stains before getting into bed.) It was too late to deal with it, so I put some pillowcases down on his side and told the front desk staff about it the next morning. They replaced the duvet and made the bed with fresh sheets. (Definitely a reason not to check in late and to check things before midnight!)

The AC is loud when it kicks in, and the temp is adjusted by two degrees, not one. Hard to get it just right. The water pressure in the shower was excellent, but our second morning there, I started losing hot water and had to crank it up. Haven't had that happen in a hotel in years! The housekeeping staff was cleaning the room next to me, so maybe that had an impact. I didn't run out, but that was unexpected.

The best part is that we never heard a peep from anyone next to us or above us! We know the hotel was full, too, but we didn't hear anyone. You can easily hear anyone in the hallway, though. I never understood why sound insulation fails even with a heavy door. Voices outside our door and even 20 feet down the hallway were clear as could be.

The breakfast area is smaller than other Hamptons we've stayed at, and the scrambled eggs seem to be powdered (they still tasted pretty good). But there were enough options for everyone. They had fresh Dunkin Donuts, which was awesome, and Belgian waffles, cereals, and a variety of other hot and cold foods. We had to wait for the eggs our second morning, and when I saw them finally come out, I went to get a plate, but the staff member on duty was already making a plate for my husband (who had a meeting to get to)! Now that is service!

We also used the pool, which is very heavily chlorinated, so have your kids wear goggles. I didn't go in, but my boys said the pool and hot tub seemed to be the same temperature. There were enough pool towels, and plenty of space to sit while watching the kids.

Overall, it was an ok stay, and problems were dealt with quickly. The staff was great and always pleasant. I wouldn't stay here again with the 5 of us because it really was too tight. I'd consider staying here if it were just me and my husband, but I am looking at other options for an overnight trip to the area next month. I don't feel compelled to return, you know? It was good but not enough to make me immediately choose it over similarly priced options. And it wasn't on par with other Hamptons we've stayed at. Wasn't bad, just wasn't great.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room away from high-traffic areas like the elevator if you are sensitive to noi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and it was truly our pleasure to have you here. I certainly can understand your need for a bigger room, especially with five people. The beds in our guest rooms are actually queen beds however, not big enough for more than two guests. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and pool and found all of those amenities enjoyable and relaxing. My recommendation for you would be Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites if you are searching for a one room suite with two seperate bedrooms and a common room. I feel sure you would love it and it would be exavtly what you are looking for for five or more people. When you are in the area, please visit us again. We love having you here and look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at this Hampton Inn on June 5, 2012. The service was impeccable. I needed help with a matter and staff could not have been more helpful. I had a great room with a jet tub that I could almost swim in. Overall, great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank for your comments and we were all delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed the jacuuzi garden tub that we were able to provide for you. Please come back and see us again the next time you are in the area and want to relax and don't forget to check out some of the exciting and entertaining evernts in the Columbia and Baltimore area.

Been to Hampton Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!