“Clean & Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Clean & Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We recently spent a weekend in the Inner Harbor area for the Phillies/Orioles series. There were 8 of us from two states & we booked 3 rooms. Everyone was pleased with their rooms. They were clean, comfortable & had everything we needed.
The entire hotel was clean & seemed to be well maintained. The pool & hot tub were great although the hot tub wasn't much hotter than the pool. The free breakfast was good & the staff was very nice.
The Hotel's location was great. Nice quiet area, convenient to several restaurants & just a 15-20 minute drive to the inner harbor. All in all a very nice experience & I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing us and we all were so pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay! I am so glad you enjoyed your outing to Baltimore as there are many exciting things to see and do in Colujmbia and Baltimore. Come back and see again soon and don't forget to check out the upcoming events in the area! We all look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I have stayed in many hotels all over the world and I have never experienced such hospitality as we have in this hotel! Everything was clean and the people were more than nice! We were very impressed and not only will we recommend this hotel to others but we will with out a doubt stay here any time we are in the DC are! The breakfast buffet was great too! Two thumbs up for outstanding service!

Room Tip: The fourth floor was awesome!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
It was certainly our plesure to have you here and I am delighted you enjoyed the stay. Our staff is committed to providing the best service available and we are so glad you gave us the opportunity to serve you. Please come visit us again soon! We all look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

When all five of our family members travel, it's a challenge to find hotel rooms that allow all of us in a room, especially to find those with bedding for all of us. We've stayed at several Hampton Inns up and down the East Coast, and since they allow 5 and the reviews here were good, we booked a 2-night stay in a 2-queen room for earlier this week at the Columbia Hampton Inn.

We arrived fairly late, 9 pm, but checked in quickly and went to our room. It was too small for our inflatable twin mattress to comfortably fit! The AC unit beneath the window was also visibly dirty, with what looked like small pieces of brown cardboard stuck behind the grate. I'm rather allergic to dust, so we went right back downstairs and requested another room. All the queen rooms are the same size, so that problem couldn't be solved, but we were immediately put into a room across the hall and it was spotless. We had to move the arm chair between one bed and the outside wall to squeeze in the air mattress. It was so tight, my husband had to get out of bed by getting off the end of it. We didn't have quite enough room for all of our things without nearly tripping on them (we were staying with friends the rest of the week, so we each had our own duffel bags, plus two laptops, two backpacks, etc.), so I truly wouldn't recommend this hotel for a family of 5.

The mattresses were fairly comfortable, but definitely on the soft side. I had trouble sleeping the first night and woke up with sore hips. My husband and I disturbed each other with any movement, but my boys slept solidly. Well, once I could convince my teen to get in bed...when he pulled back the duvet, there were small blood stains on the sheets and duvet, on both sides of the bed. We figured perhaps a cleaning staff member had a cut and didn't know it when making the bed. (I thoroughly inspected my kids to make sure they didn't have a cut themselves, but my teen said he immediately saw the blood stains before getting into bed.) It was too late to deal with it, so I put some pillowcases down on his side and told the front desk staff about it the next morning. They replaced the duvet and made the bed with fresh sheets. (Definitely a reason not to check in late and to check things before midnight!)

The AC is loud when it kicks in, and the temp is adjusted by two degrees, not one. Hard to get it just right. The water pressure in the shower was excellent, but our second morning there, I started losing hot water and had to crank it up. Haven't had that happen in a hotel in years! The housekeeping staff was cleaning the room next to me, so maybe that had an impact. I didn't run out, but that was unexpected.

The best part is that we never heard a peep from anyone next to us or above us! We know the hotel was full, too, but we didn't hear anyone. You can easily hear anyone in the hallway, though. I never understood why sound insulation fails even with a heavy door. Voices outside our door and even 20 feet down the hallway were clear as could be.

The breakfast area is smaller than other Hamptons we've stayed at, and the scrambled eggs seem to be powdered (they still tasted pretty good). But there were enough options for everyone. They had fresh Dunkin Donuts, which was awesome, and Belgian waffles, cereals, and a variety of other hot and cold foods. We had to wait for the eggs our second morning, and when I saw them finally come out, I went to get a plate, but the staff member on duty was already making a plate for my husband (who had a meeting to get to)! Now that is service!

We also used the pool, which is very heavily chlorinated, so have your kids wear goggles. I didn't go in, but my boys said the pool and hot tub seemed to be the same temperature. There were enough pool towels, and plenty of space to sit while watching the kids.

Overall, it was an ok stay, and problems were dealt with quickly. The staff was great and always pleasant. I wouldn't stay here again with the 5 of us because it really was too tight. I'd consider staying here if it were just me and my husband, but I am looking at other options for an overnight trip to the area next month. I don't feel compelled to return, you know? It was good but not enough to make me immediately choose it over similarly priced options. And it wasn't on par with other Hamptons we've stayed at. Wasn't bad, just wasn't great.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room away from high-traffic areas like the elevator if you are sensitive to noi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and it was truly our pleasure to have you here. I certainly can understand your need for a bigger room, especially with five people. The beds in our guest rooms are actually queen beds however, not big enough for more than two guests. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and pool and found all of those amenities enjoyable and relaxing. My recommendation for you would be Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites if you are searching for a one room suite with two seperate bedrooms and a common room. I feel sure you would love it and it would be exavtly what you are looking for for five or more people. When you are in the area, please visit us again. We love having you here and look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at this Hampton Inn on June 5, 2012. The service was impeccable. I needed help with a matter and staff could not have been more helpful. I had a great room with a jet tub that I could almost swim in. Overall, great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank for your comments and we were all delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed the jacuuzi garden tub that we were able to provide for you. Please come back and see us again the next time you are in the area and want to relax and don't forget to check out some of the exciting and entertaining evernts in the Columbia and Baltimore area.
Berlin, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Columbia for a concert at Merriweather Post Pavillion. I can't say enough about how good the service was. We got back to the hotel and wanted to get something to eat but everything was closed. The manager actually went back to the kitchen, turned on the equipment, and cooked my fiance and I breakfast at midnight. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and never received that level of service. Thanks to Neil Horton (Manager) and Stephen Walsh (Front Desk) for making our stay a memorable one. We will most definately be back.

Tony and Jamie

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Well it was certainly our pleasure to have you here and I am so glad you enjoyed the concert. It was our pleasure to make sure you had good hot meal before turning in for the night and I am so glad you enjoyed it. Please come see us again soon and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Columbia!
Philly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel with my sons baseball team during a tournament in Maryland. The hotel was so nice to us. We were a big group - 13 fourteen year old boys and their parents and siblings. We took up most of the public spaces in the hotel and the staff their was so accommodating. The rooms were very clean and smelled really fresh - comfy beds. The pool was nice - located in a sunny spot on the first floor - not isolated in the basement somewhere. We parents could sit in the common room and watch the flat screen tv and keep and eye on what was going on in the pool area through a nearby full view window.

Also - my room was on the first floor and I am a very light sleeper. I had no issues with noise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
I was so thrilled to hear you had a great stay with us! We love hosting our sports teams and we know having a pool to keep the kids occupied is important. I am so glad eveyone had a good time and staff when you return is always here and at your service. Come back and see us again soon, we all love having you here at Hampton Columbia!
Metro Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

It's the typical Hampton Inn with decent enough rooms, fairly comfy beds, LG flatscreen TVs (with the usual hotel scretched or blackboxed tv video), ok hot-cold breakfast fixin's, and a very warm pool ... this is where the service ends.... it seems for the 3 days/2 nights we stayed .... they would NEVER have any towels in the pool area... forcing guests to trapse soaking wet to the front desk and beg for towels. The front desk seemed somewhat unsympathetic and definitely unconcerned about the situation. I'd forgive a saturday night with a fairly packed house, but a lightly filled Sunday night crowd .... that's just lazy... especially considering it happened just the night before as well. They seemed determined to NOT find a solution for customers. The 2nd night, we look first in the pool area and would we see there were no towels so we asked the fornt desk for some and the only towels available IN THE WHOLE HOTEL were few hand towels. I think I'd be wholly embarassed about that situation but the clerk was unphased by it. I'd go get some towels from a room that was not expected to be occupied and get the bath towels... like I said, lazy. I especially felt anger when I remembered that I paid full/typical rate price ($150/night) for this room .... and we can't get a basic such as towels...

The rest of the stay was up to normal Hampton Inn standards which is generally just fine for my family trips.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Raymond H, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
I would like to thank for your comments and we so much appreciate you staying with us. Regarding your comment about pool towels, we consistently strive to make sure pool towels are available for all of our guests when the pool is open and our staff is always here to assist and accommodate any and every guest request. I am sorry you did not feel this was the case but I can assure you, that is our goal. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hampton Inn Columbia and please contact me directly if I can ever be of service.

Been to Hampton Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!