“A Lovely Venue” 4 of 5 stars

Annapolis, Maryland
14 attraction reviews
“A Lovely Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Merriweather is one of my favorite concert venues around because of its location, charm, and well, I graduted from high school here! I have been to two concerts at MPP so far this summer, with another planned for the end of the month. Both times the music and sound were great, the staff was courteous, and we had a great experience overall.

Most recently, we attended a concert on 8/8, and the portable toilets were actually in poor condition. Hours before the concert had started, women were standing outside of them discussing what to do because the smell coming from the row of portables was so strong and offensive. It was too early in the event for them to have been used by concert attendees, so I would encourage the venue to consider doing more to ensure clean faciltiies between events. The insides were very dirty (putting is nicely) and subseqently everyone was using the three stalls in the nearest handicapped restroom (not an effective solution for guests who truly needed them).

Who knows, perhaps the scheduled service didn't occur as usual, but it was a bummer for such an awesome venue. I know we will return for many more shows, so hopefully this review helps to keep the concerts great!

Visited August 2013

Elkton, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Lovely outdoor pavillion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Loved the outdoor pavillion, but was very unhappy with the main gate. We arrived to the pavillion on our hotel shuttle, when we went through the gate we were ask to be search, which was fine. Then I was told I could not bring in my camera, which is a point and shoot, not professional. I told them I looked their website that mornging and it said as long as it was not a professional camera, which means if the lens come off, if was allowed. Now we are 2 miles away from our hotel and I have to find somewhere for my camera...finally after about 10 minutes we talk to Mary that work for Merriweather and she escorted us to the help counter which held my camera for me. Then we proceeds to our seats and were told we needed a braclets...back to the help counter!!! Finially get in and guess how many people I saw with cameras just like mine, about 20!!! A little ticked off..............

Visited August 2013
Arnold, Maryland
51 attraction reviews
“Summer Concerts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family and I saw O.A.R. here last summer, but have been attending various concerts at this amphitheater for as long as I can remember. The lawn seating is spectacular, with spacious seating, large screens, and an overall great vibe. The pavilion seating is even more wonderful, shelters from the rain, and allows for even better acoustics. Forget lawn chairs if you're on the lawn, bring a durable blanket and a rain jacket. If you're behind the soundboard booth, the ushers are extremely accommodating and might be able to move you to better seats, which they did for us. Expect not the cleanest bathrooms at an outdoor event and expensive food and drinks. Make sure you park in the free parking across the street and not in the paid parking next to the pavilion. And forget about being drunk in the place, they are strict on removing belligerent attendees. As long as it has great performances, I will always be coming back.

Visited September 2012
Columbia
10 attraction reviews
“Great vibes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great lawn area. Perfect for picnic dinners before/during a show. Also, very good sheltered seating with great views (from just about any seat). Reasonably priced for those into the latest groups.Overall atmosphere of the grounds very inviting. Really deserves its rating as one of the top 5 outdoor venues..

Visited October 2012
Columbia, Maryland
10 attraction reviews
“Love this natural outdoor ampitheatre- no frills but cool vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Thanks to Merriweather we've spent many a balmy summer evening sat on the reasonably priced lawn watching some great acts -Lumineers, New Order, Lady A, Def Leppard, Florence to name a few. If you want a close up view of stage & guaranteed shelter then obviously pay more for for seated area. Park for free at Columbia mall a short walk away to avoid concert car park queues.

We love the chilled out vibe of Merriweather- takes me back to summer festivals as a student. Yes, it's not plush - but layout cleverly combines the laid back outdoor festival feel with a much more intimate experience as it is a relatively small- medium sized venue. I'd much rather go to a concert at Merriweather than pay over priced tickets for Verizon where stage feels a million miles away.

Added bonus to Lawn tickets is it makes it very easy to meet up with larger groups of friends (rather than having to co-ordinate all buying tickets together to ensure you are sat next to one another). Naturally drinks are overpriced as with any concert venue but you can get free water. There are a fair amount of flush toilets for an outdoor venue, and yes, queues form and cleanliness declines as evening progresses- partic if it has been raining & muddy- but overall facilities are not bad for an outdoor venue.

Ultimately it is the music & concert feel that matters and that's where Merriweather scores top marks for my husband & I.

Visited July 2013