“Sonesta wasn't what I expected... very disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8844 Columbia 100 Parkway, Columbia, MD 21045   |
Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Linden, New Jersey
“Sonesta wasn't what I expected... very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I didn't know what to expect with the Sonesta brand since it took over one of the hotels I would normally stay at, but since it was virtually the same hotel, I thought it couldn't be that bad.....but it was.

I was very unhappy with the hotel from the point of check-in. The person at the front desk didn't smile, it was just business as usual. Didn't even give me directions to get to my room.

The room was ok, but since I planned on cooking in the room, housekeeping was very hesitant about giving me the right size pots I needed. There is usually a selection of sizes, but there were only small pots in this room and when I asked for a larger pot, I had to go through 2 different attendants just to communicate what I needed and although they accommodated me, it was with much hesitation.

The toilet in the room overflowed each day I was there. The front desk sent someone to the room to plunge the toilet which helped, but by the 3rd day, I had about 2 inches of water in the bathroom and wash room area. The solution was to plunge some more and soak the water up with towels. Fortunately when the toilet overflowed, it was clean water in it!!!!

As I was leaving, I explained to the housekeeping manager what had happened and he said he was completely unaware of the overflowing of my toilet, but he wasn't a plumber and asked why didn't I turn the water off to the toilet....the nerve of him!!!!

After I checked out of the hotel, I realized about 45 minutes later that I left my Kindle Fire in the room and immediately called the hotel. Of course no one had seen it and I was told very nicely that there was nothing the hotel can do about it.

This was my 1st and last stay at the Sonesta for sure!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I are staying with our son in the area over an extended stay. (Ten days) I wanted a suite set up and this seemed to fit the bill. It didn't occur to me to ask what their smoking rules were on the property. To my dissatisfaction they allow smoking in the pool area, outside eating area, and common grounds. That's quite a surprise considering less than 15% of Maryland residence smoke and only 18.4% of the overall population nationally smoke. I asked the front desk agent what the policy was in regards to smoking and she stated no one has ever asked. Well, one of the main reasons I choose this property too was that it has a pool. I travel with a four year and old and it's perfectly sized for the little ones. What a let down when residence of the hotel show up and light up. Not only that but they have work being completed around the property and employees of the work crew are also lighting up. I felt extremely uncomfortable and left the facility to enjoy swimming at the Y. Be aware, yes they have complimentary breakfast and dinner (three days a week) but if spending time outside is important and you are a non-smoker you may want to look at another property.

Room Tip: Choose second or first floor, ask to be on the side opposite to the freeway. You can hear freeway tr...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The accommodations were very comfortable. The suite was spacious, clean, and well organized. In my experience, if the first encounter is positive, my stay is positive and I am happy to report the front desk staff has proven my theory correct. They were very receptive and courteous. The hotel location was convenient and easy to access from the parkway. I recommend Sonesta ES Suites Columbia to anyone that may need some "me" time or "we" time.

Room Tip: May consider the 2nd floor only to avoid seeing others walking past the windows (although no bother...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have been staying here for the past month and a half and it is great. The location in good. The area is safe. They offer a good breakfast every morning with hot and cold items on the menu. They also have a social get together for guest to gather and the Sonesta provides a great spread of hot and cold food items for the guest to enjoy free of charge every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening. The rooms are comfortable, spacious, and clean. There is a nice pool area and basketball court which is in a very nice court yard. Overall the Sonesta ES Suites in Columbia, Md is a great place to stay for a short or extended stay. I can not end this review without recognizing the great and dedicated staff that go above and beyond to ensure your stay is great. Jasmine is a wonderful and hard working employee. She is truly an asset to the Sonesta. I wish I had taken the time to get all of the staffs names before I started this review, as they all truly deserve to be recognized for their excellence in service. So, should the Sonest ES Suites in Columbia Md, be one of your options as a place to stay, take it from me and check in, you'll love it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east inside of the building have a great view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Aspen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel caters for long stay guests working for companies and also for shorter visits. I have frequented a number of times and it never fails to disappoint. A two bedroom suite has two en-suite bathrooms (at least ours did) and the living space was generous, with a pull out sofa bed too. The bed in the bedroom was huge and very comfy. Breakfast was extensive and available everyday, hot and cold food available and included in the room rate. Towels changed regularly and maid service everyday. Dinner three evenings a week is also included, is basic, but sufficient. The garden and pool area are fab with an outdoor grill for guest use. The gym is not huge, but has the essentials. I am aware some rooms are smoking-permitted, if this is what you require. Absolutely recommend this hotel, very happy with the stay and will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Salina, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had reserved a queen studio and were upgraded to a two-bedroom suite. It was wonderful. The suite was very clean, comfortable and very attractively appointed. The hotel was quiet and the staff was very professional. Would very definitely stay there again.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is in a great location for Columbia, MD. However, the furniture, carpet and beds need to be replaced due to just general wear and tear.
Nice size living room and kitchenette. The breakfast served each morning was good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!