“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Pros
1. allowed early check in
2. very kind staff
3. clean spacious suites
4. very affordable

We got in early and they were able to check us in early. The pool was nice. The rooms were quite. The location is very accessible. Make sure you put a "do not disturb" sign on your door - room service came twice before 9am!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

My family and I often stay at stay bridges hotels this is by far the worst one yet it was not that clean and the room was poorly stocked mot enough towels. Thank goodness we were only here for one night stay if you have the choice of staying at the Staybridge by the airport choose that one because this one was not good.

• Stayed August 2012
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed this past week while visiting our home office. Note when you arrive that there is limited parking available at check in, be prepared to back out. The lobby area is nice and the staff friendly and overall the hotel is fine. However, it could use a few updates, some of which would be easy. For example, a simple carpet remnant could replace the worn out carpet in the elevator and would make a big difference in its appearance. Its also very hot in the elevator for some reason. The hallway lighting is dim and makes it appear a little hazy or smoky but I'm guessing these are new low energy bulbs. The room was good, but again the carpet is a bit worn and the bathroom cabinets had large scratches and the doors/drawers were not even close to lining up. Bed was comfortable, pillows not so much; I'll bring my own next time.

Room Tip: Get your bearings straight - this hotel can seem to have a confusing layout if your not paying atten...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed here for a few days during the aftermath of a large storm that knocked out power during an incredible heat wave a few weeks ago. Everyone was under stress, so I was trying to be understanding. As I read back in some of the reviews however I see that the desk staff can be surly. Really it was just one middle aged woman who was there the day that I checked in, but it left an impression. What I REALLY liked about this hotel was the fact that they have FREE laundry (both washers and dryers). Since the place is new, they were really nice machines - so since I had no power for a few days, it was great to bring my laundry over and get it done. I just had to bring my own laundry detergent and dryer sheets!

The breakfast was decent - although the eggs were the powdered. Give me coffee and a waffle maker and I am happy! The wifi was good. The swimming pool was sort of yuccky - I did not get in - but one fellow who did said it made his hair feel funny and that the water was incredibly warm.

If I need to stay again near the BWI airport - I would go here again. The rates are incredibly good - and all-in-all it was a good value (even if the lady was cranky).

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool can be a bit noisier when it is open.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Grass Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The facility is fine. There is ample parking with good lighting. Security is not an issue. I had a problem with a group of 15 or so young men (ages 25 +/-) who were particularly disruptive. Their herd behavior created a poor environment in the dining room, hallways, and parking lot. One morning I notified the front desk that they needed to monitor this group who were being loud and obnoxious in the dining room that was mixed with young children. These men had no clue as to the inappropriateness of their vulgar language in front of these kids.

I experienced my adolescent years in the 60's and am no prude. The behavior of these guests can only be described as boorish and offensive to most people. Management needs to stay on top of these problems. Numerous guests complained to the front desk about these guys and nothing was done. On day 4, a beer-fest broke out in the 100 wing creating a frat house environment. I demanded to be moved to another area of the hotel which was quickly processed. It came down to being moved or checking out.

The facility is fine. I would and will stay there again. Make no mistake however, if I have a problem like this again, I will be a former customer.

Room Tip: Find out where the herd of "young men" are booked and then request a room on the other sid...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed for the weekend to visit family and hit Camden Yards and watch the Phillies win one. It was clean and neat and the breakfast was plentiful and fresh. A few too many children for my taste, but you did not hear them making a ruckus anywhere in the evenings. Staff were pleasant, room was clean, it all worked well for us.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Happened to stay here for business on a rainy night when they offered a spaghetti buffet. Filling and convenient, though certainly school cafeteria-like food. Breakfast of similar quantity and quality. I have no problem with any of the food they provided and appreciate them having it conveniently ready for me on-site and included in the price of the room. New to me -- free washers and dryers, four of them. That would be a big perk for an extended stay. The staff was all very friendly and eager to please. I will certainly stay here again when I am in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!