“Guests need monitoring” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Grass Valley, California
“Guests need monitoring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The facility is fine. There is ample parking with good lighting. Security is not an issue. I had a problem with a group of 15 or so young men (ages 25 +/-) who were particularly disruptive. Their herd behavior created a poor environment in the dining room, hallways, and parking lot. One morning I notified the front desk that they needed to monitor this group who were being loud and obnoxious in the dining room that was mixed with young children. These men had no clue as to the inappropriateness of their vulgar language in front of these kids.

I experienced my adolescent years in the 60's and am no prude. The behavior of these guests can only be described as boorish and offensive to most people. Management needs to stay on top of these problems. Numerous guests complained to the front desk about these guys and nothing was done. On day 4, a beer-fest broke out in the 100 wing creating a frat house environment. I demanded to be moved to another area of the hotel which was quickly processed. It came down to being moved or checking out.

The facility is fine. I would and will stay there again. Make no mistake however, if I have a problem like this again, I will be a former customer.

Room Tip: Find out where the herd of "young men" are booked and then request a room on the other sid...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed for the weekend to visit family and hit Camden Yards and watch the Phillies win one. It was clean and neat and the breakfast was plentiful and fresh. A few too many children for my taste, but you did not hear them making a ruckus anywhere in the evenings. Staff were pleasant, room was clean, it all worked well for us.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Happened to stay here for business on a rainy night when they offered a spaghetti buffet. Filling and convenient, though certainly school cafeteria-like food. Breakfast of similar quantity and quality. I have no problem with any of the food they provided and appreciate them having it conveniently ready for me on-site and included in the price of the room. New to me -- free washers and dryers, four of them. That would be a big perk for an extended stay. The staff was all very friendly and eager to please. I will certainly stay here again when I am in the area.

NOTTINGHAM, ENGLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Everything you need from a short or long stay accomodation. Full kitchen in suite and free guest laundry, gym etc. The breakfast is good and the sundowner evening buffet midweek is excellent and includes beer/wine. I believe they are leaving the staybridge group at the end of august 2012 so I don't know what it's changing to but a really good place to stay at the moment. Rooms are clean and a good size and staff are helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I travel for business A LOT. I always try to save $ for the client- so in this area, the Staybridge was the best option for the money. I was very pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly. I was pleasantly surprised with the size of my room, amenities, atmosphere, and the breakfast/dinner offering. Although I didn't take advantage of all the meals, I felt for others, who were even more budget conscious, or were traveling with family, it was a really nice perk. I did have breakfast two of three days. It was on par with a Marriott Courtyard- pre-formed eggs, bacon/sausage, hard boiled eggs, cereal, pastries, etc. Although not great, it was quite good and helped me get a good protein-filled start to my long days. I have three "complaints"- and they don't stop me from returning:

1. Yes- as previous reviews have stated, the walls and doors are thin- you can definitely hear it if you have noisy neighbors. Luckily, other than a few loud people in the hall, I didn't. In the hotel's defense though, I didn't find the noise to be any different from any other budget/mid-priced hotel- and even more expensive hotels. The facility can't control the people you happen to have next door, no matter the thickness of their walls.

2. The wireless internet access. Don't count on it if you have reports to file by deadlines at the end of the day as I did. However, when I did finally call on the second day (my fault for waiting) a staff member was at my door in 30 seconds to bring me an ethernet cable- thus my ability to get speedily online tonight to write this review. My advice- just get the ethernet cable when you check in, or bring your own and you'll be all set!

3. Parking- it's very limited up front. I was psyched to have room 130- right by the lobby- only to find that I could never park out front and had to go in the back exit and wind my way around to my room. However, the hotel isn't very big, so it wasn't a hardship.

I loved the full(ish) kitchenette. It allowed me to bring in fruit, milk for my coffee, and all those things that make a stay more comfortable.

Room was super clean with everything you could need for a day or a month.

Bottom line, I'll definitely stay at a Staybridge again!

Room Tip: Choose a room to the back of the hotel- less noise AND parking is VERY limited at the front door- so...
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We booked there because there was no rooms left at Sheraton. We had a suite with two bathrooms wich was perfect for us women. It's clean and very friendly and the price is quite good. Will book there again next year, why pay more to be in a lot smaller room closer to the Merriweather when we can have a lot better for less money. We shared cabs to get to the event and it was perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights during a business trip. My room was nice and clean but my colleagues complained about cigarette smell in theirs. Breakfast was good and staff was friendly....but the walls were super thin!!! I mean really super thin! I could hear everything that was going on in the room next to me. Every word! During my last night someone above me was walking around till 2 am and then got up after 5am... It was very annoying.... if it wasn't my last night there I would have asked to be moved to a different room. What an exhausting night that was! Wouldn't stay there again because of the noise issue.

Room Tip: If possible choose the top floor so you won't hear people walking above you
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear arobaczek,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are pleased you liked our breakfast options and our friendly staff. We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience the noise from other guests caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!