“Good but not great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Columbia
Cheshire, England
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We have stayed in several Staybridge Suites locations. This one is the same as the rest - clean, comfortable beds, generous rooms and an acceptable breakfast (although I hate disposable plates and cutlery).

In comparison with others we've stayed in, this one did seem a bit tired and in need of an update - just general stuff like tidying the paintwork, replacing the odd fixture etc.

All in all, it is an acceptable place to stay, but it is not luxurious.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Heilbronn, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Rooms are large, clean and comfortable including small kitchenette.
Hotel offers a free buffet breakfast and evening meal, including cold beers.
Breakfast selection is fine, pity that there is only plastic plates and cutlery.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We needed rooms for my son's basketball team because they played in a tournament this weekend. These rooms were reasonably priced so we booked. I had no expectations. When we arrived I was happy to see the hotel actually looked like the pictures. We were greeted by very friendly staff and found the lobby to be clean, inviting, and smelled great. It has a ski lodge feel, even has a fire place. The rooms were large and clean, the beds were comfy, the pillows smelled great and were very comfortable, and the pullout was clean with new linen. The boys said the pullout slept great. We are on the road alot so they know a good pullout when they see one. The bathrooms were well lit and clean but we had a leakly tub. The refrigerator, microwave, and stove in the rooms were a plus because we went to the grocery store next door and stocked up to save money. I was happy that the hotel offered a full complimentary hot breakfast in the morning, even though that wasn't advertised with our booking (more money saved!!). The washing machines were FREE, and that was terrific, but it took a long wait to use one of the four machines. I needed to use the wireless internet to work in my room, and I had trouble connecting. Good thing I already had an air card, otherwise, it would have frustrated me to no end. The hotel even had a basketball court outside, a 24 hour snack area (which was priced well), and the downstairs lobby area had a nice waiting area with a TV and free warm cookies. Once the boys won their first game we had a long waiting time until the next game, so we went to Arundel Mills mall which was only 10 minutes away. Hotel is very conveniently located to highway, but food options close early. The tv is ancient. It's a tube tv that pulls out from an armoir and you can't turn the tv, so it's very diffucult to watch from the bed or pullout. The parking stinks, especially if you're coming in late at night. The walls are paper thin. We could hear people talking that were 3-4 doors down and if anyone talked in the hallways it felt like they were in your room. We asked for non-smoking rooms and we didn't smell any smoke from other floors or rooms. Overall, I'd certainly recommend this hotel and we'll be back if we play in this area again. I was pleasantly surprised because I've never stayed a Staybridge. I'll certainly look for this banner hotel again in the next city we go to.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel as the price was right and the location was close to my relatives.This is normally a business hotel but Saturday night was unacceptable. They located my in a room next to the meeting room. The meeting room was used by a group which was loud and intoxicated. I complained to the desk twice as I was able to sleep. They tried to quiet the group. The hotel did refund me for the one terrible night. If you reserve here, make concern that they located you away from all public rooms if on a weekend. The hotel is half vacant and there is not a problem with vacant rooms. By Sunday, the group left and the hotel returned to its being a business hotel. Otherwise, the hotel is ok although they could upgrade the tv.

Room Tip: see review for weekend advice on room selection
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Columbia, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear James S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. I apologize about the problem you encountered with the noise. I am glad to hear the hotel did make it right by refunding your nights stay. If there is any thing we can do to make your next stay more comfortable. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Katie J
IHGCare
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The Good: Suite was very roomy, full size kitchen and fridge. Beds and pillows were very
comfortable. Would have been exceptional except for the following.
The Bad: Toilet in one of the bedrooms did not flush properly. Tank would not refill after flushing. Had to open tank and push float down to refill tank with water. Heating unit is contained in a utility closet located in the bedroom. Unit was load enough to wake you up
everytime it cycled on.
The Ugly: We were given a smoking room even though we had requested a non-smoking one. Front desk said they cannot guarantee a non-smoking room.
As soon as the elevator doors opened on the 3rd floor you were over whelmed by the odor of smoke We had to spray Fabreeze in our room before we even could unpack.
The carpets and the sofa had cigarette burns on them, etc.
Learned a lesson: will never book a room again unless the hotel will guarantee a non-smoking room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Louisa, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I made last minute reservation through Priceline and got a great price. When I arrived, the check in process went very well, warm cookies at the desk, a "lodge" look and feel to the lobby, with a fire in the fireplace. Amenities sounded very good and the hotel seemed very nice. That is, until I got to the room. The room itself was in fact very nice, but I am a non-smoker and was almost floored by the smoking odor that hit me when I opened the door.
I turned around and returned to the front desk to request a non-smoking room. The desk clerk was very nice but informed me that that was the last available room for the evening. He went the extra mile, however, and called several people who had reservations but had not yet checked in to see if they were indeed going to arrive that evening. All of them were so there was nothing else to do. I thanked him and returned to the room. After turning on the heat in the room and acclimating to it, it turned out to be tolerable for the one night stay.
All in all, the room was a great value, fully equipped with Full size refrigerator, microwave, 2 burner stove and coffee maker. The normal coffee service, but also popcorn, and large quantity of coffee service items. Full set of dishes. Obviously set up for an extended stay. Breakfast the next morning was a buffet style with a very good selection of breakfast foods and drinks. I would definitely stay there again, although I would try to arrange a non-smoking room in advance. There was free in room high speed wireless internet that worked very well and easy to get into it.

Room Tip: Complete package, check on smoking vs not first.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We reserved multiple rooms/suites for wedding guests and could not have made a better choice. Prices were under $200 for a 2-bedroom suite and under $90 for standard double rooms. All of our guest commented on how nice their stay was and how surprised they were to have no outside noise bother their sleep with the hotel located along a heavily traveled corridor. They slept well. Included in the suites were full kitchens and double baths which was a big plus for our family groups. The rooms were very clean and the furnishings provided were perfect for relaxing and gathering to chat. The suites were virtually little apartments what with having a living room area and kitchen, and the bedrooms and double baths sitting on either side of the living space offering complete privacy. The room reservation included a wonderful buffet breakfast with offerings of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, toast, bagels, waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit and hashbrowns. All beverages were also included and available. A weeknight buffet for the dinner hour is also offered but our guests were only there for an extended weekend time slot so we cannot comment on those offerings. But for the breakfast meals we did partake in the dining area was very clean and constantly restocked and maintained by a very friendly staff. The area was busy but everything moved along quite well. A relaxing outdoor courtyard with tables and chairs was situated just off the dining area and perfect for the beautiful spring weahter we had at the time. The one short-coming we found was the indoor dining as there was an inadequate number of tables available for the number of guests in the hotel. I hope they can somehow remedy this area as it truly was a noticable issue. An outdoor basketball court is also available and was put to use with our guests, along with an indoor gym. Parking was close and never a problem ... plenty of spaces. Check-in and out was flawless and took minutes to complete. The front desk staff could not have been more friendly and upbeat. We appreciated very much a totally stress-free stay and will definitely reserve again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor suites towards the back of the hotel and you will have your own entrance to com...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!