“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sonesta ES Suites Columbia to your Saves list
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

The Good: Suite was very roomy, full size kitchen and fridge. Beds and pillows were very
comfortable. Would have been exceptional except for the following.
The Bad: Toilet in one of the bedrooms did not flush properly. Tank would not refill after flushing. Had to open tank and push float down to refill tank with water. Heating unit is contained in a utility closet located in the bedroom. Unit was load enough to wake you up
everytime it cycled on.
The Ugly: We were given a smoking room even though we had requested a non-smoking one. Front desk said they cannot guarantee a non-smoking room.
As soon as the elevator doors opened on the 3rd floor you were over whelmed by the odor of smoke We had to spray Fabreeze in our room before we even could unpack.
The carpets and the sofa had cigarette burns on them, etc.
Learned a lesson: will never book a room again unless the hotel will guarantee a non-smoking room.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Louisa, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I made last minute reservation through Priceline and got a great price. When I arrived, the check in process went very well, warm cookies at the desk, a "lodge" look and feel to the lobby, with a fire in the fireplace. Amenities sounded very good and the hotel seemed very nice. That is, until I got to the room. The room itself was in fact very nice, but I am a non-smoker and was almost floored by the smoking odor that hit me when I opened the door.
I turned around and returned to the front desk to request a non-smoking room. The desk clerk was very nice but informed me that that was the last available room for the evening. He went the extra mile, however, and called several people who had reservations but had not yet checked in to see if they were indeed going to arrive that evening. All of them were so there was nothing else to do. I thanked him and returned to the room. After turning on the heat in the room and acclimating to it, it turned out to be tolerable for the one night stay.
All in all, the room was a great value, fully equipped with Full size refrigerator, microwave, 2 burner stove and coffee maker. The normal coffee service, but also popcorn, and large quantity of coffee service items. Full set of dishes. Obviously set up for an extended stay. Breakfast the next morning was a buffet style with a very good selection of breakfast foods and drinks. I would definitely stay there again, although I would try to arrange a non-smoking room in advance. There was free in room high speed wireless internet that worked very well and easy to get into it.

Room Tip: Complete package, check on smoking vs not first.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We reserved multiple rooms/suites for wedding guests and could not have made a better choice. Prices were under $200 for a 2-bedroom suite and under $90 for standard double rooms. All of our guest commented on how nice their stay was and how surprised they were to have no outside noise bother their sleep with the hotel located along a heavily traveled corridor. They slept well. Included in the suites were full kitchens and double baths which was a big plus for our family groups. The rooms were very clean and the furnishings provided were perfect for relaxing and gathering to chat. The suites were virtually little apartments what with having a living room area and kitchen, and the bedrooms and double baths sitting on either side of the living space offering complete privacy. The room reservation included a wonderful buffet breakfast with offerings of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, toast, bagels, waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit and hashbrowns. All beverages were also included and available. A weeknight buffet for the dinner hour is also offered but our guests were only there for an extended weekend time slot so we cannot comment on those offerings. But for the breakfast meals we did partake in the dining area was very clean and constantly restocked and maintained by a very friendly staff. The area was busy but everything moved along quite well. A relaxing outdoor courtyard with tables and chairs was situated just off the dining area and perfect for the beautiful spring weahter we had at the time. The one short-coming we found was the indoor dining as there was an inadequate number of tables available for the number of guests in the hotel. I hope they can somehow remedy this area as it truly was a noticable issue. An outdoor basketball court is also available and was put to use with our guests, along with an indoor gym. Parking was close and never a problem ... plenty of spaces. Check-in and out was flawless and took minutes to complete. The front desk staff could not have been more friendly and upbeat. We appreciated very much a totally stress-free stay and will definitely reserve again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor suites towards the back of the hotel and you will have your own entrance to com...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I found this hotel to have a number of unexpected benefits considering it costs less than $100 per night. It has a good complimentary breakfast and dinner buffet (Tues-Thurs) and a kitchen and generous sitting area in the rooms. There are also four pillows to choose from and nice amenity package. It is also well located in a quiet area with easy access to shopping and the rt 100 trunk. All this and reward points. A good choice for one day or several.

Room Tip: I suggest a room on the inside near the pool, to assure no road noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Martinsburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on November 5 after getting a good deal on Hotwire. This is one of the worst hotels that I've stayed in. At first glance, the hotel looked nice. After further inspection, I noticed it was outdated with dirty carpets, broken tiles, and hair in the tub. During the first few hours of my stay, I had to kill two huge silverfish, one of which was on the kitchen counter. I stayed the night clocks fell back an hour due to daylight savings time, and still woke up exhausted. I normally can sleep on any mattress without problem. However, The mattress felt like it was stabbing me and I had to prop pillows under me in order to get some sleep. I woke up with a bad back ache, even though I had a wonderful massage the day before. The only plus was the breakfast, but I was reluctant to eat it after finding bugs in the room. It made me wonder what was lurking in the kitchen. In the future, I would recommend staying at the Residence Inn, which I have stayed in the past, and is in the same general area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed only one night, but our room was very spacious. It was very wet out and there was some water inside the hallway being dried with a dehumidifier, but our room was fine. We did find one ant in the kitchen area, but again it was very wet outside and had been raining for days. The breakfast had a lot of choices to offer and the courtyard has BBQ grills and tables to sit outside. Overall a nice place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
crittenden,virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed at this hotel one weekend for work. The hotel was well lighted, safe, clean and well managed. The room was well decorated, clean and comfortable. There were many places to those from close by to eat out, a very good restaurant in the shopping center across the street called asean restaurant, also a grocery store to pick up supplies close by.

Room Tip: my sister had a broken foot so we asked for the handicapped room which worked out perfect, wide door...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!