“Good hotel but service and appearance is slipping” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good hotel but service and appearance is slipping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last few years with great experiences. However, this last stay I noticed a few things I hope are addressed. Upon check in I waited at the front desk for about 5 minutes before anyone came out to greet me. I had done the mobile check in so it should have been a quick and painless experience. I experienced the same lack of attention to a waiting customer when I went down to purchase some water later in the evening. I also noticed the cleanliness of the facility seems to be lacking a bit. The room was nice and slept well, but these two things I hope don't indicate new management or operator not caring completely for the customer.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Statesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The room has separate bathroom and shower rooms. They are separated from the bedroom by sliding doors. This allows someone to use the toilet and wash their hands while another person uses the shower and sink. Awesome. It has a full couch that is good for sleeping folded up. We did not try it open. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I checked in late (after midnight) and was greeted very nicely by the assistant manager. I knew I was in good hands.

After entering my very clean and new room, I fell asleep quickly in my warm and soft bed, blanket and sheets.

The breakfast they had prepared in the morning was plentiful and of good quality: great oatmeal, eggs with various toppings, juice and cereal.

The fitness room and pool were more than adequate and had what I wanted.

You will not be disappointed staying here. Not too far away from College Park if you are here for a University of Maryland sporting event!

Room Tip: Get a higher-level room to get more sunlight in room
Green Features: Towel re-use program, Energy Star windows are great
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Chuck C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia, responded to this review, 1 week ago
MichiganTonyabbott,

Thanks for staying with us and posting a terrific review.

The SpringHill Suites Columbia has a great team who care about taking good care of our guests.

Clean clean comfortable accommodations, close to many things (College Park included), a nice breakfast to get your day started and a fitness center that has virtually all new equipment - and good people.

Glad you enjoyed your time here, [please come back to visit again.

Thanks.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015

Very nice and plesant stay. Everyone was very helpful, especially the assistant general manager Parminder Singh who was helpful and friendly with great positive attitude.

I was able to use the workout place and the swimming pool.

Room Tip: I like the higher floor. The rooms on the front side of the hotel was nicer
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Chuck C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
A S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am thrilled you had an enjoyable stay and Parminder was able to make to pleasant for you.

He does have a great, customer focused attitude and is well liked by our guests. I am glad you were able to enjoy the pool and fitness center as well.

Hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015

We stopped here when our trip was disrupted by horrible road conditions from a heavy snow. The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. Their real strength is service. This appears to be a well managed hotel that really cares about their guests. Everyone we dealt with from the front desk to the woman staffing the breakfast bar was friendly and helpful. With the snowstorm, the property was crowded. Giselle at the front desk gave outstanding, friendly, professional service. It's not the service you'd expect in the chaos of a snowstorm. She checked us in on the Saturday and happily greeted us at checkout on Sunday because she had stayed through the night to ensure good service because of the snow. Her associate Jessica even went the extra mile to clear snow from behind cars so guests would have access to their vehicles. I live in New York where life doesn't stop from snow because we have plenty of plows and salt. That's not the case in this part of Maryland where people abandon their vehicles right on a snowy interstate. So while the driving was stressful, this SpringHill Suites was a comfortable and pleasant refuge from the storm. I'll be back the next time we're in the area. Highly recommend.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
MaineCampers,

Awesome! I am so proud of our team for taking what otherwise was a very stressful time for you and making it pleasant!!! Jisselle and Jessica are great Team Members and I am glad that they have been recognized for their efforts. Thank you.

The housekeeping team does a wonderful job with keep the hotel clean and well maintained.

Glad that everything worked out like it did and you made it home safely.

When you are back in the area, I hope you look us up and stay again.

Thanks for staying at the SpringHill Suites Columbia.

Ocean City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2015

A great location, good room space , comfortable bed and a nice breakfast that was included in the price. This was my second stay and i wasn't disappointed. My one minor issue was that the complimentary coffee in the lobby was cold

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
John T,

Thanks for the post. I am sorry for the coffee. I am glad we did not disappoint you, though I am disappointed that we did not catch the detail of the coffee....

Location, comfort and space - all are features that we try to highlight! Thanks for choosing us again. I hope you come back to the SpringHill Suites Columbia and see us again.

Westfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2015

Good location about 5 minutes off 95. Interesting room design with the bathroom divided into two rooms - one with a sink and toilet, one with sink and shower. The bathroom pocket doors were more like a privacy screen than actual doors, which was a little odd. Beds were comfortable, but the sofa bed was quite uncomfortable.

Very nice breakfast with plenty of choices. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed January 2015
jillatin,

Thanks for the nice comments about the team, breakfast and the convenience of the SpringHill Suites Columbia off of I-95.

We are pretty fortunate that our hotel is one of the newer generation builds of the Springhill Brand. Most guests love the separation between the toilet and the shower. I have to admit, it has taken a little adjustment for me too.

I am pleased to let you and others know that we will be going through a renovation later this year and the sofas will be replaced. I anticipate that the new ones will be more comfortable.

Thanks for staying with us. We look forward to having you stay again when you are back in the area.

Chuck Chandler, General Manager

Been to SpringHill Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!