“Solid, just not my cup of tea” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Solid, just not my cup of tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the first time as i had to be at my office early that is nearby. I usually stay at the Springhill Suites in Annapolis.

The place is a few years old and is the new Springhill design. The lobby is very sleek and modern. What I don't like is that the lighting in the rooms, particularly above the bed, is horrible. It feels just like a hospital and the green walls add to that feel. It just doesn't feel warm which is why I avoid these newer designed Springhills.

Other than my dislike, this hotel was solid in the facility and service. If they adjusted the lighting i would make this a regular stop.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bryan S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Jim C, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I myself have been here just a few weeks and can understand your frustration with the "master switch" in the rooms. I myself took a little while to get use to the lighting in the rooms. We certainely appreciate your feedback and are continuing to work with our inhouse maintenance team to make sure every guest has an enjoyable stay every day. We loook forward to your visit again next time in town. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know!

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I broke my glasses and was therefore unable to read anything. I took them to the front desk and came back a while later. Like the shoemaker's elves, the work had been done in my absence and my glasses were as good as new. Thanks RHONDA for the help.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear, Francesca 7035, Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel team memeber Rhonda, I myself have been here just a few weeks and can already see what a tremendous asset Rhonda is to our hotel. I have shared your comments with Rhonda and our front desk team so that all will continue to exemplify the same can do attitude that they do every day! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in the area.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel from Friday to Sunday I noticed that on Sunday morning I had a red bump on my face I didn't think much of it, I traveled back to VA my face was itching on and off again didn't think much of it, Monday morning I get up and the bump was bigger,red, raised up and really itching, then there was another bump on my hand red, raised and itching by that afternoon there was another one on my forearm red, raised and itching. I work at a doctors office and went down to see the doctor, she asked had I changed anything, or ate anything different? no I didn't I explained to her as a breast cancer survivor I'm very carfeul as to what I put on my skin, didn't wash my clothes I was there for the weekend so my clothes were clean, and I ate nothing different... I told her the only thing I did different is go visit my cousin and we stayed in a hotel. She examined the raised, bumpy, red area. She showed me the one on my hand that had smaller bumps within the bigger red, raised area she felt that it was bed bug bites she said there's no treatment she perscribed a cream for the itching and told me to take Benadryl in case anymore areas come up. I'm very miserable I itch all over. I have never experienced anything like this in my 43 years of life. I will be making a complaint further. On a positive note because I'm not one to not give credit where credit is due. The hotel was beautiful, the breakfast was wonderful, the staff was great! One thing I didn't like was the day of check out the cleaning staff knocked on the door before 10:30am asking about checking out mind you check out time is at 12:00. I get that they may want to get off early, and the quicker you clean your rooms the quicker you go home...I don't know but it's very rude to disturb someone an hour in a half before check out as if your being rushed out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bryan S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We respond to all feedback and concerns very seriously and treat them all thoroughly, specifically ones that are related to bed bugs. Our hotel has a strong relationship with Steritech, a nationally recognized pest control company, who is on call with us 7 days a week for preventive measures, treatment and inspections. Steritech was at our hotel the very next afternoon and completed a professional inspection of the room and fortunately did not find any evidence of bed bugs. We have forwarded you a copy of that service ticket to your email address we have on file. We are very happy that since we opened, we have not had any confirmed instances of bed bugs. Thank you again for your feedback, this serves as a reminder that the ongoing training programs we have here at the hotel are very important.
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

VERY modern décor. Took us a bit to warm up to it, but we wound up liking it very much. Liked having a sitting area. Very clean and well maintained. Friendly & helpful staff. Many restaurants within a few miles. Great for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hendersonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had the chance to stay in a very fine very clean motel while visiting in Columbia MD. Breakfast was very good with a wide range of hot eggs, sausage, variety of cold cereals, very good cooked oatmeal with slivered almonds, walnut pieces, cinnamon, raisins, dried cranberries and brown sugar for toppings, assorted pastries, toast, bagels etc. The indoor pool was very clean, located next to exercise room with two treadmills, wieghts, and bicycles machine. Conveniently located to gas and restaurants also. Would absolutly stay here again.

Room Tip: Due to location of building to roads, I don't think one side is better than another.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Center Moriches, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

After the Hampton Inn Columbia/South lost our reservation, we walked across the parking lot to the SpringHill Suites. Most hotels were sold out because of softball playoffs. We were luck enough to get their last room. The front desk staff were terrific. Very happy to help us out. They even matched the other hotel's rates which was above and beyond normal customer service.

The lobby is lovely and very welcoming. There is a little area by the front desk where you can get snacks, drinks, even ice cream. They offer coffee and tea all day which is nice. Everything is nice and clean and the entire staff is friendly.

Our room is actually a studio suite. It has a nice seating area with sofa and desk, two queen beds. The toilet is a separate room from the tub, which is nice. It's a very large and comfortable room. They were going to accommodate us for one night and then we were going to check into the Hampton Inn but after the shabby way the Hampton treated us and the SpringHill staff were so gracious and helpful, we decided to stay the entire week here. There's a small pool and workout room. The breakfast area is very open and airy.

The free breakfast offered something for everyone with hot oatmeal, eggs, biscuits with sausage gravy, make your own waffles, yogurt, an assortment of breads, cereals, bagels, muffins etc and fresh fruit as well as a selection of juices coffee and tea.

The only down side was we would hear the people on the floor above us walking around but it didn't keep us from getting a great night's sleep.

We are greeted cheerfully every time we enter the lobby and are very satisfied with this hotel. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Thank you to everyone here for making our stay in Columbia a really comfortable and enjoyable one.

Room Tip: try to get the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newton, MA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here one night on the recommendation of a co-worker and I wasn't disappointed. The room was large, comfortable and modern - I think I slept better there than I do at home. The lobby was nicely designed and trendy looking. The wifi was fast and the free breakfast was decent, so what more could you want? If I ever have to travel to the area again, I will be staying at the SpringHill Suites. You should too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!