“Bed Bugs Room 216” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Bed Bugs Room 216”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel from Friday to Sunday I noticed that on Sunday morning I had a red bump on my face I didn't think much of it, I traveled back to VA my face was itching on and off again didn't think much of it, Monday morning I get up and the bump was bigger,red, raised up and really itching, then there was another bump on my hand red, raised and itching by that afternoon there was another one on my forearm red, raised and itching. I work at a doctors office and went down to see the doctor, she asked had I changed anything, or ate anything different? no I didn't I explained to her as a breast cancer survivor I'm very carfeul as to what I put on my skin, didn't wash my clothes I was there for the weekend so my clothes were clean, and I ate nothing different... I told her the only thing I did different is go visit my cousin and we stayed in a hotel. She examined the raised, bumpy, red area. She showed me the one on my hand that had smaller bumps within the bigger red, raised area she felt that it was bed bug bites she said there's no treatment she perscribed a cream for the itching and told me to take Benadryl in case anymore areas come up. I'm very miserable I itch all over. I have never experienced anything like this in my 43 years of life. I will be making a complaint further. On a positive note because I'm not one to not give credit where credit is due. The hotel was beautiful, the breakfast was wonderful, the staff was great! One thing I didn't like was the day of check out the cleaning staff knocked on the door before 10:30am asking about checking out mind you check out time is at 12:00. I get that they may want to get off early, and the quicker you clean your rooms the quicker you go home...I don't know but it's very rude to disturb someone an hour in a half before check out as if your being rushed out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bryan S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Columbia, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We respond to all feedback and concerns very seriously and treat them all thoroughly, specifically ones that are related to bed bugs. Our hotel has a strong relationship with Steritech, a nationally recognized pest control company, who is on call with us 7 days a week for preventive measures, treatment and inspections. Steritech was at our hotel the very next afternoon and completed a professional inspection of the room and fortunately did not find any evidence of bed bugs. We have forwarded you a copy of that service ticket to your email address we have on file. We are very happy that since we opened, we have not had any confirmed instances of bed bugs. Thank you again for your feedback, this serves as a reminder that the ongoing training programs we have here at the hotel are very important.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Calabash, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

VERY modern décor. Took us a bit to warm up to it, but we wound up liking it very much. Liked having a sitting area. Very clean and well maintained. Friendly & helpful staff. Many restaurants within a few miles. Great for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hendersonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had the chance to stay in a very fine very clean motel while visiting in Columbia MD. Breakfast was very good with a wide range of hot eggs, sausage, variety of cold cereals, very good cooked oatmeal with slivered almonds, walnut pieces, cinnamon, raisins, dried cranberries and brown sugar for toppings, assorted pastries, toast, bagels etc. The indoor pool was very clean, located next to exercise room with two treadmills, wieghts, and bicycles machine. Conveniently located to gas and restaurants also. Would absolutly stay here again.

Room Tip: Due to location of building to roads, I don't think one side is better than another.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Center Moriches, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

After the Hampton Inn Columbia/South lost our reservation, we walked across the parking lot to the SpringHill Suites. Most hotels were sold out because of softball playoffs. We were luck enough to get their last room. The front desk staff were terrific. Very happy to help us out. They even matched the other hotel's rates which was above and beyond normal customer service.

The lobby is lovely and very welcoming. There is a little area by the front desk where you can get snacks, drinks, even ice cream. They offer coffee and tea all day which is nice. Everything is nice and clean and the entire staff is friendly.

Our room is actually a studio suite. It has a nice seating area with sofa and desk, two queen beds. The toilet is a separate room from the tub, which is nice. It's a very large and comfortable room. They were going to accommodate us for one night and then we were going to check into the Hampton Inn but after the shabby way the Hampton treated us and the SpringHill staff were so gracious and helpful, we decided to stay the entire week here. There's a small pool and workout room. The breakfast area is very open and airy.

The free breakfast offered something for everyone with hot oatmeal, eggs, biscuits with sausage gravy, make your own waffles, yogurt, an assortment of breads, cereals, bagels, muffins etc and fresh fruit as well as a selection of juices coffee and tea.

The only down side was we would hear the people on the floor above us walking around but it didn't keep us from getting a great night's sleep.

We are greeted cheerfully every time we enter the lobby and are very satisfied with this hotel. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Thank you to everyone here for making our stay in Columbia a really comfortable and enjoyable one.

Room Tip: try to get the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newton, MA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here one night on the recommendation of a co-worker and I wasn't disappointed. The room was large, comfortable and modern - I think I slept better there than I do at home. The lobby was nicely designed and trendy looking. The wifi was fast and the free breakfast was decent, so what more could you want? If I ever have to travel to the area again, I will be staying at the SpringHill Suites. You should too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is my wife and my second stay here and we always enjoy it. The front staff is extremely friendly and polite, it has complimentary breakfast in the morning (which usually isn't too bad) and it's easy to get around the outskirts of Baltimore (like Ellicott City, etc.).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Went for a soccer tournament. Nice, accomodating and ultra friendly staff, convenient location, good restaurant for included breakfast. They did a great job taking care of our group during a very busy weekend for the hotel.

The sheets and the blankets were scratchy and gave me a rash.

We had a room with a King bed and sofa pull out verses 2 Queens and a sofa pullout and it was much, much smaller. I wish I would have known and then I woudn't have booked it that way!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!