“Different but had a good stay” 3 of 5 stars

Gas and Go Package!
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sayre, PA
“Different but had a good stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is only 3 years old and the decor is very modern, from the lobby to the rooms. Check-in desk reminds me of control station on Star Wars and the filmy curtains around the sitting area in the frigid lobby are different. Breakfast was good although lay-out of serving area is not set up the best for crowds and seating is all open with lobby. Again, very
strange set-up. Rooms are the same way. Open modern concept, very light and airy but again very strange. Separate toilet and wash bowl room with no mirror and a sliding door. Walk-in shower and vanity in another room but no lighting over the huge mirror. Door to bathroom was all filmy glass but whoever is sleeping in bed directly across is going to be subjected to the light and it was annoying when rest if room dark. Should have regular door instead. I was very happy with the thermostat on the wall controlling heat and air but there is no air citculating in the sofa bed area and gets stuffy there. Sofa bed mattress is very thin with coils popping through so I would not suggest for anyone with back problems. All in all a good stay but different.

• Stayed October 2012

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Delaware, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Actually it is a nice hotel, just DON'T pick up the phone! Prior to me checking in. I called about the temperture of the pool she said it was really warm, so I booked! I stayed at another springhill suites the night before the pool was FREEZING, when checking into this onel; I told the manager and he was great and upfront, he said why don't you try it and if you don't like it don't feel commited to checking in. it worked out great. location was perfect, breakfast was good (little busy) the hostess could have used more help in stocking items. I used the phone for convienance and made what i assumed were local calls. 5.5 miles away and 10 miles away. the one for 5.5 miles away charged me $70. I had almost $125 in phone charges. in checking out the desk clerk asked me if i had my phone off the hook. she could not explain the charges and when asked to speak a manager he was in the back office and never came out. she eventually adjusted I think $80 of phone calls. I kept asking could I please speak to the manager to review my calls, to avoid this happening to someone else, it was a NO! I had to get on a road for a long drive and I just couldn't fight it anymore, I took whatever I got and left. Such a disappointment. So if you stay here JUST DON'T USE THE PHONE oh and their directory instructions don't match their phone instructions. directory says use a 9, hotel phone says use a 8. the 9 doesn't work. They could have had me at hello! Instead they had me at GOODBYE. There will be a hampton Inn opening right next door to them soon - maybe try them out first before staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I liked my stay here in 2011 so much that I came back in 2012. The first thing I noticed is that the decor is very modern--much more like staying in an IKEA store than a traditional hotel. The rooms are laid out nicely. There's a sitting area (and a microwave and fridge) just inside the door and then a desk with sliding panels that can either close it off from the bed area beyond or open up to it. There are two sinks, one in the room with the toilet, one in the room with the shower (no tub). The lighting in the sink in the shower room was quite good for a hotel, too. The breakfast area is spacious; my stay extended into a weekend and even though the hotel was full I had no trouble finding a space to sit. The food is laid out along a long counter, so multiple people can be getting things at once.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I had never stayed at a springhill suites so I was pleasantly surprised at how modern they were. My room was very spacious and quite clean. The workout room small was clean and small. The breakfast the next morning was also really nice. The staff was very friendly when I checked in. The only downfall is that it's in a very corporate area and you can't walk to anything and it offers little in a nice view. But it was fine as I was here for work and a mile down the road were plenty of restaurants. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We spent a night here and it was a perfect stay. Here's what we liked about it:

New
Clean
Large room - lots of space
Friendly front desk and staff
Breakfast Included

The bathroom with the bath/shower and sink was separated from the toilet and sink which made it convenient for the family to get ready. The staff was competent and friendly. Overall, a great stay - I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rockaway, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We spent a quick 9 hour overnight stay here, so I did not get to see many of the features of this hotel. We checked in after midnight and had to be buzzed into the lobby, but were were only buzzed in after giving our name and having them check our reservation (which I thought a bit bizarre considering we look like a typical wife & husband couple who just had a long drive, but I can never complain about too much security). As a Marriott rewards member, we have a standing request in for upper floor / extra pillows. When we checked in, they asked us if we wanted a lower or upper floor, so clearly our preferences were not noted and our room was not prepared in advance per the rewards program requests. The room itself was clean and very modern in appearance - sliding doors to both the shower and bathroom and partial partitions between the "living" and "sleeping" section of the room. The shower (with sink) and bathroom (with sink) were separated - a nice touch. The bed was comfortable. The pillows were unusual - small square pillows. I expected them to be uncomfortable, but they were surprisingly nice. The alarm clock was an iHome - another nice touch, although it was non-functional - my iPhone would not charge on it. There were ample electrical outlets around the bed so I was able to plug the phone in elsewhere.

We had a room with one single bed and unfortunately, the room air condition blew straight on the bed. We could not set a temperature that was comfortable - if the air was on, there was a breeze on the bed. We ended up sleeping with the air totally turned off and woke up in a warm stuffy room. A clear design flaw in the room - I don't understand why some hotels can't seem to figure out that people do not want to sleep with cold air blowing on them.

Breakfast the next morning was the standard buffet - 2 hot egg dishes, make-your-own waffles (plain or cinnamon), an assortment of breakfast cereals, fruit (including bananas that were actually ripe / ready to eat), milk in fat-free, 2%, whole, or chocolate, coffee, tea, etc...The breakfast area was FREEZING (I'm normally always on the warm side).

Overall, a nice place to stay, especially if you can snag a good deal on the room (our last minute corporate getaway rate was just under $90). If not for the AC blowing on us at night and at breakfast, the SpringHill would have earned 5 stars instead of 4.

Room Tip: Bring warm clothes, even in summer!